• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warmage Variant Spell List

Is this Variant Spell List Balanced and Fair or Not???

• Balanced and Fair

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Not Balanced and Fair

Votes: 1 50.0%

Dominic Ladon

First Post
I created a variant spell list for the Warmage class taking into account some of the newer spells in the Spell Compendium, and furthermore, I tried to take into account spells that I feel a mage bent on fighting and destruction would be more apt to use, sometimes swapping them for other spells on the list to try and keep the list balanced. Please let me know what you think, including suggestions, as I am thinking about pitching this variant list to my DM for a Warmage house rule list and want to make sure that it seems balanced to others, as well. Please also feel free to vote on if you think this list is balanced and fair or is not balanced and fair, but if you vote, I ask that you leave a note stating if you feel it is too powerful or not powerful enough.

Attachments

• Warmage Spell List.xls
    25.5 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Looks OK to me. I noticed you went through and took out almost all the spells that "buff up" the warmage for melee combat. If the warmages in your school aren't really keen on getting into melee I would suggest they don't get the armor proficiencies like a normal warmage. Instead I would see if I could sub in some metamagic feats.

I am also playing a Warmage and have thought the following spells didn't really belong on the list...

Light - Just because its evocation doesn't make it blasty.

Continual Flame - See Above

Phantasmal Killer - Doesn't fit a warmages M/O

Wall of Fire - I see that a "control the battlefield" mage might have these but the warmage doesn't have very many other of these types of spells so I wouldn't give him this.

Flamestrike - Warmages shouldn't do divine damage.

Fire Seeds - Too druidy

Prismatic Wall - See Wall of Fire

Elemental Swarm - Shouldn't be summoning anything.

Wierd - See Phantasmal Killer

DS

ChimericDream

First Post
Doesn't look too bad to me. The only thing I'm noticing, as someone who also plays a warmage, is that there wasn't a lot of rhyme or reason to a few of the spells you took out. For example, flaming sphere and scorching ray are two perfect spells for a warmage, IMO. I'm not sure why they would be removed.

All in all, the new spell list doesn't look too bad, if not a bit on the weak side, for my taste. Of course, the warmage is already head and shoulders above other casters in terms of sheer damage, so notching it down a bit might not be a terrible idea.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads