• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warmage versus Duskblade

Grymar

Explorer
I am looking at maybe rolling up a new character for an upcoming game and I thought about doing a fighter/mage type. What is the general opinion of the two classes? Is one considerably better than the other?

Thanks!

drothgery

First Post
They're completely different classes.

A warmage isn't a fighter/mage type. He's sort of a super-evoker (with all the spells that should be evokations but are in fact conjurations on his list). Yes, they can wear armor and have d6 hit dice, but they're pure casters. I'm playing one right now; if you like blowing stuff up with magic -- and not much else -- they're fun.

A duskblade, on the other hand, is most definitely a fighter/mage type; their focus is delivering spells along with melee attacks. I've never played one or seen one in play.

My guess is for a 'traditional' fighter-mage, the best way to go is fighter/wizard/patch prestige class (eldritch knight, knight phantom, etc.). For a self-buffer, the best way to go is cleric. For an 'army wizard', warmage fits the bill quite nicely. And if you want to use magic for attack, not defense, but don't want to be standing behind the guys in full plate slinging fireballs, then duskblade is what you want.

Beckett

Explorer
drothgery has the right of it. Warmage probably owes something to Hackmaster's Battlemage class (Teflon Billy in Knights of the Dinnertable). The criteria for having something on their spell list is, "does it cause damage?" I've seen a couple in play, and they were great for dishing out the magical smackdown, but no matter how much armor you tossed on one, I couldn't see him mixing it up in melee. They also tend to suck when they run into a problem they can't blow up (no fly, no teleport, almost no buffs, etc.)

Duskblade is the class for someone who wants to play a fighter/mage from first level, with emphasis on the fighter. They have more variety to their spells, but most of what they do is enhance their combat abilities or deliver damage spells through their weapons. They lack a lot of the classic wizard spells, like magic missile, fireball, and teleport.

drothgery

First Post
Beckett said:
drothgery has the right of it. Warmage probably owes something to Hackmaster's Battlemage class (Teflon Billy in Knights of the Dinnertable). The criteria for having something on their spell list is, "does it cause damage?" I've seen a couple in play, and they were great for dishing out the magical smackdown, but no matter how much armor you tossed on one, I couldn't see him mixing it up in melee. They also tend to suck when they run into a problem they can't blow up (no fly, no teleport, almost no buffs, etc.)

Now, my warmage actually can fly (winged boots), can teleport (he used the Eclectic Learning alternate class feature in PHB2 to pick it up), and has 90-some hit points and an AC of 31 (which is the highest in the party). But since he's 16th level, he still stays the heck out of melee if he can manage it; things that can hit the fighter/barbarian hard enough for her to notice don't have much problem hitting an AC 31 (and I don't think I can talk the DM into allowing a cloak of greater displacement and charisma +6).

RaVan

First Post
Having played a Barbarian / Duskblade / Rage Mage through level 9 now I would very much recommend him for melee combat, but only to a certain extent. You won't take out a real melee opponent of the same level toe to toe. But you will be able to succeed if you use your mobility and are smart about your spell choices. It's a challenge, but if you like to think about your fights tactically, you'll have a lot of fun.

The spell list really helps you the most against spellcasters. You can get to them quickly with Dimension Hop, or Swift Fly (if they are trying to keep out of range) and really rack down their meager hit points with a good blow from Blade of Blood. My character suffers on reflex saves; thankfully we play in the Eberron setting. I reserve my action points for my Ref saves.

My one wish would be for a little more variety in touch spells. There are quite a few ranged touch spells in the list, which according to my reading of the RAW can't be used in conjunction with the Duskblade's spell channeling. I would like a couple more substitutions for Shocking Grasp. Since you can't choose all of them, the variety in flavor for different characters would be nice.

-R

Grymar

Explorer
Good advice across the board.

Seeing how this DM's games rarely last too many levels (and we're starting at first) some of the higher level issues like needing fly aren't too big a deal. I'll be surprised if he sees 4th level.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
MrFilthyIke said:
I would honestly just stick with Fighter / Wizard / Eldritch Knight if it were me.

The problem is this build isn't really a fighter/mage until 6-7th level and doesn't really hit it's stride until around 9th.
If, as the OP said, the campaign will only go until low levels, the duskblade, as a fighter/mage from level 1, is a better choice.

Lurks-no-More

First Post
I'm playing a sun elf Duskblade in our current FR campaign, and I'm enjoying him greatly.

As others have said, a DB is more of a fighter-with-magic than a fighty wizard; their spell list* is very limited, with mostly self-buffs, rays and damaging touch attacks, and is best used to support your fighting abilities. (You get an awful lot of spell slots, though, so don't hesitate to spam the enemy with shocking grasp or Kelgore's fire bolt!)

The biggest drawbacks you have are much the same as a ranger: d8 hit die, lack of fighter bonus feats and the fact you can't use heavier armor at low levels. As the only fighting type in a party, a DB is feasible, if not optimal; as the only arcane caster, they're very much sub-optimal.

*) Check page 24 for the full list; it's very easy to miss, because of the bad layout. Beguiler's list is much easier to notice, for some reason.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
well the duskbalde in our group is capable of dizzying damage -
His ac is simlar to the straight fighter, as they both wear mithril chain (they had a big mithril find, but not enough for plate) He does fall behind on HP, and damage vs creatures with resistance to electrcity or magic.

duskblades are really good in dishing out a lot of spells in a hurry.
To play one you need to watch you swift/intermideate action rules -
They seem an upgrade on psionic warriors - who can also burn all thier resources in a single fight, but require several rounds for set up.

Remove ads