• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warning about Swords of our Fathers.

tburdett

Explorer
This covers only the technical aspects of the .PDF file and not the contents.

I recently purchased Swords of Our Fathers from The Game Mechanics, via RPGNow, and I want to warn potential purchasers about a few things that I'd like to have known beforehand.

1) The .PDF file is locked and does not allow you to copy text from the document. This is fine if you only plan to print and use the information in book form, but if you want to use the info (in my case, for my DM folder) you'll have to type it manually.

2) The .PDF is not searchable and contains no bookmarks. You are also unable to add your own bookmarks. This seems to be related to number 1 above.

3) There does not seem to be any timetable for getting this fixed. They do not seem interested in the update service that RPGNow offers for their 'Gold' level vendors.

If copy/paste, searching, and bookmarks are important to you, I'd avoid this product until an update is made.

Their second product, Staves of Ascendance, is a big step in the right direction. It isn't unlocked, but, it is searchable and contains an excellent set of bookmarks.

rpghost

First Post
I hope you took the time to leave a comment on RPGNow.com instead of just here. That's where prospective buyers will see it.

I'm not sure why they are locking their documents, esp when our customer polls obviously state that it's one of the things they hate most.

We don't "push" or force the GOLD VENDOR program on anyone... so again, not sure why they have not opted for that option.

Thanks for your heads up though. I'm sure it'll make a difference!

James

tburdett

Explorer
They have been very responsive on their boards about this issue and I'm hoping that they can release an updated product in the near future.

Thanks for reminding me to leave a comment at RPGNow. I meant to do that before but ran out of time.

rpghost

First Post
Ds Da Man said:
Can you not open it up in Photoshop?

He means PDF no PSD ... you can place locks on the portable document format file so that people can't cut and paste text out of it for their own use. Half the beauty of a PDF product is that you can cut and past and print just what you need to make it fit into your existing worlds... Some publishers obviously don't realize that point and a paranoid of piracy. Yet, any locking they do is more likely to promote unlocked copies being spread around.

James

ferat

First Post
Workarounds are illegal per the DMCA.

I wonder if "print screen" is considered a circumvention method.

Bloody politicians.

Remove ads