• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warped Star Wars Minis Help

Inferno!

Explorer
Merry Christmas everyone,

I got half a dozen Star Wars boosters for Christmas today (including a Millennium Falcon - yea!). However, several, including my TIE fighter Ace and ARC-170 are seriously warped. Can anyone offer tips/advise about how to straighten the wings and cannons without melting them?

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Being very careful?

I've had some luck taking warped plastic pieces of minis and pinching it the way I want it with something (usually old coasters or bricks or combinations thereof) and placing it in a sunny location and letting the sun warm it for a day. Back of a closed car on the ledge, etc.

--fje

Garet Jax

Explorer
For my Battlelore minis I've had good luck with dipping the warped ones in hot water for a few seconds to soften them up, take them out to straighten, then dipping immediately in cold water to harden the new shape. Works like a charm.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Those are excellent suggestions, and I've done much the same.

But before doing that, I'd contact the company- they may just replace it in a display of customer service...especially if the damage is significant.

I had a Cannonball mini from Heroclix show up sans one arm. I contacted WizKidz, and they agreed to replace it.

(Unfortunately, some relatives of mine came over (while I was absent) and one of their kids downloaded a virus onto my Mac. After cleaning THAT up, I was having connection issues, and my ISP decided they couldn't send me any help (after 3 weeks offline and using their phone-in tech support for several hours a day!), so we switched to Verizon FIOS. If I could find the email with that address, I'd follow that up with buying a lottery ticket.)

Twowolves

Explorer
rgard said:
I use a blow dryer instead of hot water. Try it out on some fig that you have no use for first.

I know this works ideally for all the other WotC minis, but I have a funny feeling that the starships are not made of the same type of plastic. I have been eager to fix my x-wings and tie fighters this way, but not had the time nor courage to try it yet.

So let me know how it works out for ya!

Tarek

Explorer
The Star Wars minis have a different softening agent in the plastic mix, but a blowdryer should still work. Just remember to keep the area you're doing this in well-ventilated; the gasses hot plastic emits are toxic.

I just now straightend out a badly warped Droid Control Ship in about 5-6 minutes with a hairdryer and a few ice cubes. The hairdryer method works fine.

Last edited:

Twowolves

Explorer
Tarek said:
The Star Wars minis have a different softening agent in the plastic mix, but a blowdryer should still work. Just remember to keep the area you're doing this in well-ventilated; the gasses hot plastic emits are toxic.

I just now straightend out a badly warped Droid Control Ship in about 5-6 minutes with a hairdryer and a few ice cubes. The hairdryer method works fine.

I think the large figures are different from the smaller ones, with regards to the type of plastic used. I'm more worried about the wings on the tie fighters and x-wings, not to mention the clear plastic stands they are on.

Unfortunately, I've found that the hairdryer-ice water trick works well, but if you don't store them carefully, they will bend again in new, unusual positions. :\

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
Just as another option, I've straightened some ships out by holding the bent area over a lightbulb and letting gravity and heat do the straightening. Followed by the usual ice water bath, it worked well enough.

I like the precision of the hot spot over a bulb compared to the large heated area produced by my hair dryer.

Remove ads