• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warrior monk of Shao Lin

ivrob

First Post
page 53 of S&F, talks about the of the warrior monk. i would be honored to here of the possiblity and ideas you all have. including progression from the core books and OA.

thanks

Sejs

First Post
Monk 20. That's about all I can really come up with, nothing special that would need to be done to tweak the character to fit the concept.

Personally though, if the DM allowed the material from Quintessential Monk, I'd probably go Monk (Earth Dragon Wrestling school variant) 15, Enlightened Scholar 5. Though, that's mainly because I like grapplin' and the Enlightened Scholar PrC. Yeah, I'll never become an outsider until Epic levels, but hey, with max wis and a +6 wis item I can extend my natural lifespan by +450 years. Not too shabby for a "short sighted, short lived, expansionist, aggressive" human, eh?

^_^

Chun-tzu

First Post
If I were building a Shaolin Monk, I'd take the Shintao Monk prestige class (in OA). This is especially good for a warrior monk, since it gets so many bonus martial arts feats.

You can even build a monk that gains all 7 of the martial arts masteries listed in OA before level 20. This takes a lot of feats, of course, so you need a Monk 6/Fighter 2/Psychic Warrior 2/Shintao Monk 10. The Fighter and Psychic Warrior levels are for the bonus feats (4 feats in 4 levels), and you have to take those levels early, to gain the few martial arts feats that are on the Fighter's list of bonus feats (like Dodge, Mobility, Power Attack, and so on).

This probably isn't the most powerful Monk you can build, since you're learning 6 different fighting styles instead of mastering one. But I think the coolness factor more than makes up for that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads