• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warrior of the Wild - encounter power

Fedifensor

Explorer
Okay, I'm working on a Dragonborn Fighter, and I was considering the multiclass feat Warrior of the Wild. I want to make sure I'm correct on how the Hunter's Quarry class feature works with the once per encounter limit.

A normal ranger can designate a quarry once per turn as a free action, and that designation remains active until the end of the encounter, the quarry is defeated, or you designate a different quarry.

So, it sounds like I could pick a quarry, and that designation would last until that target is defeated or the end of the encounter. Meanwhile, I get bonus damage against that target. Sounds pretty nice...especially when going up against an elite or solo creature. The only difference between this version and the ranger version is that I can't switch targets in a combat once I choose one. Is that correct?

Also, I assume the bonus damage is still based on my level, so it goes up as I hit the Paragon and Epic tiers. Right?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
You are correct.

Do note that there are rumors WotC is going to errata this feat, because it's phenomenally powerful.

Cheers, -- N

cdrcjsn

First Post
Specifically, one of the developers said that it was supposed to work like the rogue multi-class sneak attack, working on only one target for one round.

trystero

Explorer
Even more specifically, here's the post in question: Michele Carter of WotC says that the final paragraph of the Warrior of the Wild text should be corrected to read
Once per encounter UNTIL THE END OF YOUR NEXT TURN, you can use the ranger's Hunter's Quarry feature.
and that this change will be included in the official errata.

pallen

First Post
By RAW, you're correct. However a couple of WotC employees have already stated that the Hunter's Quarry is only meant to last until the end of your next turn. So expect for this to get included in the first batch of official errata.

VannATLC

First Post
... then Sneak attack is far more powerful, as its 2d6, and combat advantage is very easy to get. I'm not sure I like the imbalance there. Anyway, I completely understand why it is being changed.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
VannATLC said:
... then Sneak attack is far more powerful, as its 2d6, and combat advantage is very easy to get. I'm not sure I like the imbalance there. Anyway, I completely understand why it is being changed.
Yup. Sneak is damage where you don't have to declare which one round you're going to miss try to use it.

The proposed nerf is bad, though a nerf of some sort is surely necessrary.

Cheers, -- N

Fedifensor

Explorer
Nifft said:
The proposed nerf is bad, though a nerf of some sort is surely necessrary.
Well, if it lasts till the end of the next round, that's two rounds per combat. Assuming you can hit both rounds (the current one and the following one), it's basically +2d6 damage at the heroic tier (+4d6 paragon, +6d6 epic) on top of the benefits of Skill Training. So, it still looks worthwhile, though not nearly as good as the version in the book.

Remove ads