• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warriors of Waterdeep: New Free to Play D&D Mobile Game Coming Soon

Once again instead of making a really good CRPG based on 5th edition, they do a gimmicky game trying to cash in on a fad for a quick buck. Meanwhile Pathfinder: Kingmaker seems really awesome, aka the model for gaming that WotC should have been looking at.

Once again instead of making a really good CRPG based on 5th edition, they do a gimmicky game trying to cash in on a fad for a quick buck.

Meanwhile Pathfinder: Kingmaker seems really awesome, aka the model for gaming that WotC should have been looking at.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Probably not. D&D games almost have a reputation now of being crap, doesn't matter who develops them. I knew SCL was going to be bad just because is a D&D game.

That's not my point. My point is that it isn't D&D itself that makes the game bad. We can (and have had) great D&D games. The brand itself does not ipso facto mean the game automatically fails. If you see the D&D brand being used... you think it's going to be bad not because it's a game about D&D... but because you know that only crap companies that make pretty bad games are USING the D&D brand. You know the meta of the situation-- quality RPG video game companies aren't using the D&D brand, and in recent years only crap companies hoping to bank on the D&D rep are using it. And not doing a good job.

But as soon as some company makes a quality D&D game, then all will be forgiven. You'll pick it up and play it. Unless of course you're telling me that you refuse to play any D&D video game anymore just because "it's a D&D video game, and thus I refuse"? I find that hard to believe. Sure, you aren't willing to pick up a D&D game sight-unseen (but then again, I don't do that either because I think pre-ordering is foolish and unnecessary as a matter of course)... but once you hear the reviews and see the demos, you'll pick up a new CRPG just like the rest of us.

The Fantastic Four brand for films is pretty crap right now. But that in no way means that someone CAN'T make a good Fantastic Four movie, nor that most people will refuse to see it once the reviews come in and it turns out it's really good (even though the last three weren't.) But if someone DOES refuse to see a new quality FF film just because the others were crap... then they're cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Which I don't doubt there are some doofuses out there who would do that. But it doesn't mean that they are right.

Perhaps in the long term,but for right now, this game is explicitly separate from any book plans: stated right in the press release. Therefore, we can safely conclude Undermountain is not in any immediate book plans.
Sorry to disagree. In a few months you will see you are wrong. No point in arguing though. :)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Once again instead of making a really good CRPG based on 5th edition, they do a gimmicky game trying to cash in on a fad for a quick buck.

Phone app games are definitely not a fad. In fact 1 in 5 millennials are mobile-only, and that number is increasing every year. "Computer" usage has been falling since March of 2015.

Also, I am sorry those kids were standing on your lawn, playing their darn rock music too loud. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

GarrettKP

Explorer
Perhaps in the long term,but for right now, this game is explicitly separate from any book plans: stated right in the press release. Therefore, we can safely conclude Undermountain is not in any immediate book plans.

Not at all what they said in the press release. The quote is "The game follows a plot that runs in parallel with the established 5th edition storylines, but does not cross over directly..."

That does not make it "explicitly separate," all that means is they are not going to shoehorn in whatever villain and plot are in the next book. Doesn't mean they cannot operate in the same space, and the implication that the game runs parallel seems to indicate they will occassionally take place in the same places. Nothing here disporves the assumption that Waterdeep and Undermountain are next, and I still believe that come June that will be the products announced.

Hussar

Legend
I gotta say, as someone who doesn't really play computer games too much anymore, but, doesn't mind wasting 15 minutes on some Iphone game, I wouldn't mind this at all. Micro-transactions, depending on what they actually mean, don't really faze me either. I mean, Pokemon Go has microtransactions, but, you certainly don't need to pay them to play.

I'll never really understand why people get in a huff when stuff gets released that doesn't target them personally. It's baffling frankly. The online D&D stuff like Neverwinter or Sword Coast Legends were completely off my radar. Why does it annoy people that they might toss me a bone too?

I gotta say, as someone who doesn't really play computer games too much anymore, but, doesn't mind wasting 15 minutes on some Iphone game, I wouldn't mind this at all. Micro-transactions, depending on what they actually mean, don't really faze me either. I mean, Pokemon Go has microtransactions, but, you certainly don't need to pay them to play.

I'll never really understand why people get in a huff when stuff gets released that doesn't target them personally. It's baffling frankly. The online D&D stuff like Neverwinter or Sword Coast Legends were completely off my radar. Why does it annoy people that they might toss me a bone too?

Same here. If it is not on a console or mobile, whether phone or a bigger tablet, I just don't play it. I do not have a fancy PC or laptop that can run newer games and I do not plan on ever buying one. The last game I played heavily on PC was Diablo II: LOD and that was years ago now. I do not even bother with browser-based games and I do not have a Steam account at all, so not even that FR Idle Clicker game for me. And while I did try the Neverwinter MMO on my PS4, it did not click for me, just like no other MMO has been my thing. I still think about picking up SCL when it is on sale in the PS Store for $4-5, but I have not yet. I can tell you right now, once I buy a Nintendo Switch, if there is ever a decent D&D, or D&D-style, game released for it, I will play the crap out of it in portable mode.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads