• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warriors & Warlocks out on PDF!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Out of curiosity, how many D&D-esque critters/races are there in W&W?

I ask because I'm trying to get my current group of D&Dphiles to try M&M for a supers campaign this summer...and they've been making noises about trying Pathfinder or True20 this fall...and I think M&M is the better system. I think they'd have a blast with a classless FRPG based loosely on mechanics they're already familiar with...for the most part.

Thus, it would be all the cooler if I didn't have to do all the heavy lifting for converting critters from D&D to W&W.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Out of curiosity, how many D&D-esque critters/races are there in W&W?
Races (i.e., racial templates):

Aquatic Beastkin, Avian Beastkin, Feline Beastkin, Lupine Beastkin, Reptilian Beastkin, Ursine Beastkin, Dhampir, Dwarves, Elves, Gnomes, Goblins, Halflings, Bestial, Celestial, Divine, Elemental, Fey, Infernal, Living Construct, Shapeshifter, Wilder, True Shapeshifter.

Monsters (plus what's in the main book, of course):

Beastman, Behemoth, Elemental (four subtypes), Giant, Chaos Creature, Stone Golem, Minotaur, Nature Spirit, Nightmare, Ptero-Dactyl, Roc, Sabre-Tooth, Succubus, Velociraptor, Skeleton Warrior, Triceratops. [plus a bunch of NPC types and sample NPCs]

Templates:

Chimerical Creature, Dire Creature, Fiendish Creature, Ghoul, Giant Creature, Lich, Vampiric Creature, Shadow Creature, Skeletal Creature, Zombie Creature, Winged Creature, Spectral Creature, Mummified Creature.

To be honest, a printed bestiary is just what my kind of doctor would be ordering right about now. There's some great stuff, between this book and certain others. Also, if you have the True20 Bestiary, that's a nice source to draw upon. However, there's nothing quite like having a 'Monster Manual' chock full of critters, ready to go in your system of choice.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
<snip>

To be honest, a printed bestiary is just what my kind of doctor would be ordering right about now. There's some great stuff, between this book and certain others. Also, if you have the True20 Bestiary, that's a nice source to draw upon. However, there's nothing quite like having a 'Monster Manual' chock full of critters, ready to go in your system of choice.

Thanks for the peek!

I agree that a bestiary is virtually a must for any FRPG. Incarnations of Fantasy HERO (prior to HERO 5th) didn't really have one of note, so DMs...er...GMs were forced to do almost all the work themselves. That tended to slow things down a mite. Hopefully, Green Ronin will not make that mistake, and a W&W monster book is in the works.

Given the nature of powers/magic, etc., a sizable book of spells & artifacts wouldn't hurt either. (Any of that in W&W?)

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Couple of things:

(1) Isn't M&M a sub-genre of True20? (I know M&M came first, but I was under the impression they were eseentially the same system.)

(2) Creating monsters for W&W strikes me as being almost ridiculously easy. Set the caps you want and give it powers within those caps, and you're done.

(3) For that matter, couldn't you just "re-skin" M&M heroes and villains? "Hmmm. Firebolt would make a pretty good fire-breathing dragon ... let's just add a few ranks of Growth ... "

I am really looking forward to W&W. Until it's available in the print edition, someone wanna slip me the pirated PDF?

(Just kiddin'.)

EDIT: I'll add that I'd buy a print copy of Ultimate Power instantly upon release. The fact that Pramas has been more visible around here over the past couple of days is completely coincidental to this edit.

Last edited:

Silvercat Moonpaw

Adventurer
Isn't M&M a sub-genre of True20? (I know M&M came first, but I was under the impression they were eseentially the same system.)
No. They share a framework of mechanics, but M&M is a point-based, non-classed system where "level" just means "for purposes of effectiveness comparason", and True20 is feat-based and uses classes and actual levels.

BryonD

Hero
(1) Isn't M&M a sub-genre of True20? (I know M&M came first, but I was under the impression they were eseentially the same system.)
I think you are confusing the True20 connection to Blue Rose with M&M.
I'm not up on True20, but if I recall correctly it is still a class based system.

EDIT: I'll add that I'd buy a print copy of Ultimate Power instantly upon release. The fact that Pramas has been more visible around here over the past couple of days is completely coincidental to this edit.
Me too.

coyote6

Adventurer
I'm not up on True20, but if I recall correctly it is still a class based system.

It is; the classes are very broad -- Adept (the spell/powers class), Expert, Warrior -- but they are still there, and advancement is by level (that is, you can't get more skills/feats/game mechanical stuff without going up a level). M&M, OTOH, is point-based with no classes, and while it has Power Level (PL) as a measurement, it just represents a broad limit to how powerful your character can be. You can get new skills, feats, etc., without going up in PL.

I'm hoping if W&W does well, they'll at least do some PDFs of stuff like monsters, etc.

Andre

First Post
You need M&M to use it. The character creation rules in the book are only really changes to the standard M&M power level limitations.

I haven't looked at M&M since the first version came out years ago. If I wanted to play Warriors & Warlocks, which books would be required/recommended?

Silvercat Moonpaw

Adventurer
I haven't looked at M&M since the first version came out years ago. If I wanted to play Warriors & Warlocks, which books would be required/recommended?
Required: 2nd Edition Core Book

Recommended:
Most people recommend the book Ultimate Power which breaks down the powers system so you can build your own.
Book of Magic might also be useful because it has some more magical monsters stat blocks in it.

Remove ads