• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Was I in the wrong?

Lejaun

First Post
Your "good" DM would drive me crazy.

Yup. Nothing worse than a DM that describes an imaginary world to the players so they can get a better idea of what is actually going on. Much better to just to use vague wording and let your players misinterpret what is going on and then get mad because of it.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Yup. Nothing worse than a DM that describes an imaginary world to the players so they can get a better idea of what is actually going on. Much better to just to use vague wording and let your players misinterpret what is going on and then get mad because of it.

Actually I was thinking nothing worse then a DM that demands a roll every time you want to do something. I want to walk across the room and my Dex check was 12, do I make it?

But hey, some people like rollplaying and some people like roleplaying.

Lejaun

First Post
This isn't so much about rolling, it's about the DM giving the player a visual of what is going on. Read it like this:

Ranger: "I take the armor to the blacksmith to sell. How much does he offer?"

"You step into the blacksmith's shop and are surprised by how clean it is. Instead of soot and grime, it is spotless and smells of lemon. You notice a cloth casually floating along a windowsill dusting by itself - a sign that this blacksmith can afford a magical servant. He is a middle aged human with a well-muscled frame and a grim demeanor ... at least at first. As soon as you drop the armor on the table and offer to sell it, his eyes nearly fly out of his head. He is clearly very interested. He immediately offers you [the fair price for the armor]."

Ranger: "Is that a good price for the armor?"

DM: "You've heard tales of a similar suit being sold for slightly less than that, but that was some time ago and far away. You might find someone willing to offer a bit more somewhere else, but it seems in the right tourney field."

Ranger: "OK."

DM: "He is practically salivating as he asks if you have a deal."

Ranger: "Yeah, I guess."

DM: "The blacksmith is trying to contain his excitement, but you can tell he is extremely happy. He runs to the back of the shop and returns a few moments later with the funds in platinum. He places the coins on the counter for you and then grabs the armor. As you turn to leave, you see him start to inspect each part of the armor in detail, mumbling under his breath as he does so."

Ranger: "Good for him. I grab the coins and go."

"You heard him mumble that THIS is going to make it so much easier for him to work faster."

Ranger: "Huh? Why is armor going to.... Never mind. More power to him. Weirdo."

DM: "He doesn't even seem to notice you leave, much less note your disdain."

Better?

Lejaun

First Post
As for roleplaying or rollplaying....considering that there are books that talk about how much each statistic adds to your dice roll, how there are percentage charts to roll on, hit points to roll, attack rolls to make, saving throws to make, damage rolls to make, stealth checks to make, etc etc........the game kind of revolves a lot around dice rolling. Just because there are dice doesn't mean that you can't role play while rolling.

I don't know how I'd feel if this happened to me, but as an uninvolved observer it seems very much in the tradition of "old school" 1e D&D. (As T.Vargas mentioned earlier.) The players aren't entitled to the treasure, they have to find it and keep it.

It's the sort of thing that would show up in a Knights of the Dinner Table comic. Although probably with Nitro or Weird Pete.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Even old school players won't go with being deceived about what they sale when it's in plain view

I don't know how I'd feel if this happened to me, but as an uninvolved observer it seems very much in the tradition of "old school" 1e D&D. (As T.Vargas mentioned earlier.) The players aren't entitled to the treasure, they have to find it and keep it.

It's the sort of thing that would show up in a Knights of the Dinner Table comic. Although probably with Nitro or Weird Pete.

Lejaun

First Post
Per the 5th Edition Dungeon Master's Guide: IDENTIFYING A MAGIC ITEM
Some magic items are indistinguishable from their
nonmagical counterparts, whereas other magic items
display their magical nature conspicuously. Whatever a
magic item's appearance, handling the item is enough to
give a character a sense that something is extraordinary
about it.

GameOgre

Adventurer
To me it looks like the DM is making a mistake.

He is taking a out of game issue(the player being on the phone and not paying attention like he should) and bringing it in game intentionally.

I would pause the game and say something like"Hey man can you put away the phone please?, you being on it so much while we game is bothering me". Trying to point out the issue by in game play is not a great idea.

Just be direct and to the point and fix the issue up front.

I can pretty much guarantee the player doesn't have a clue whats really going on now, he just thinks the DM is being a pain and a hard ass and that he the player is the victim of it,

Try not to bring out of game stuff into the game world. Simply fix it up front and roll on.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads