• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Was I in the wrong?

psychophipps

Explorer
Just my own experience here, but if you have to ask the OP question? The answer is most likely, "Yes."

Was what happened more fun for the party? Did what happened make for a better story? If not, you done screwed up.

I know you were torqued off a bit by the player being inattentive and rude, but letting your ego get a bit of "HA! Sucker! *finger pointing*" isn't worth less fun for the group.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Just my own experience here, but if you have to ask the OP question? The answer is most likely, "Yes."

Was what happened more fun for the party? Did what happened make for a better story? If not, you done screwed up.

I know you were torqued off a bit by the player being inattentive and rude, but letting your ego get a bit of "HA! Sucker! *finger pointing*" isn't worth less fun for the group.

Adventure and roleplaying to get the items back is lots and lots more fun than, "You get X gold for selling the plate."

It makes for a far better story, too.

Yardiff

Adventurer
You didn't answer the questions. How was the blacksmith able to look at a full suit of armor but the ranger was unable to see the items? Why did the players ask to appraise the ring and gauntlet if they intended to sell them? Talk about only wanting to see what you want to see...

You seem to think that everything was laid out and easy to see. What if the counter had a raised shelf on the customers side and the armor was only partially pulled from the bag behind the shelf?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
You seem to think that everything was laid out and easy to see. What if the counter had a raised shelf on the customers side and the armor was only partially pulled from the bag behind the shelf?

Then dm should have described that scene better. As it stands that's not how most players imagine what happened and so the dm screwed up by leaving out those details.

the players version should trump the Dms unless the dm described such details.

Yardiff

Adventurer
We don't know what details the OP left out because maybe he didn't feel like typing it all out, so anyone here is coming to their own conclusions and assuming a lot of things because that's how they would have done things if they were in the rangers place.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
We don't know what details the OP left out because maybe he didn't feel like typing it all out, so anyone here is coming to their own conclusions and assuming a lot of things because that's how they would have done things if they were in the rangers place.

Based on the details provided. Do we really need to preface everything win that phrase?

psychophipps

Explorer
My main issue is that of the attempted justification. When you're justifying your actions, you're attempting to put a positive spin on an action that you or others very likely perceived as "Janky". If it wasn't, you wouldn't be trying to justify your actions at all.

Yardiff

Adventurer
People are coming to conclusions. Some on this thread ASSUME the merchant scene was all spur of the moment. For all anyone on thread know the GM has notes on the city/town and in those notes the merchant is written down as a 'shady' character.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads