• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Watching Football(Soccer) at a stadium- worth it?

horacethegrey

First Post
With the recent troubles Italy has been having with hooliganism (see here), the Italian Football League has instituted a ban on spectators for future football matches until stadiums meet the required safety regulations. Earlier I saw a report on CNN on England's ugly history with hooliganism , which rather shocked me to say the least (God, 39 dead at Heysel Stadium in '85! 96 dead at Hilsburough in '89! I know Football inspires a lot of passion, but this is too much! :confused: ).

So I had to ask all those who live in Europe and love football in general, is it really worth it watching a match at a stadium rather than on the tube? Take note that I've never watched a soccer match live, but I was at a bar when the World Cup was playing in Japan and Korea in 2002. I just loved the atmosphere with all the fans cheering whenever their team scored a goal or moaning in despair when their team lost. So I was hoping sometime in the future to watch a real match in the flesh, but all these reports of football violence has me reconsidering. Share your thoughts.

Gulla

Adventurer
The level of violence is generally very different in different countries. The worst we have had here in Norway is a few episodes where at most 150 people throw beer at the police. And that is rare.

I have a season ticket at the stadium here in Trondheim watching the best team in Norway with one of my sons each home game. They are 8 and 10 and I have no problem or concern taking them. The atmosphere at the stadium is definiteively worth it, but if you don't know the teams or the local "traditions" it might be wise to do some research. Here in Trondheim it is OK to sit on the "home" part of the stand wearing vistitor colours and cheering for the away team. Other places in Norway (and even more in other parts of Europe) that is asking for a beating.

Currently I have an impression that Spain is the safest of the major nations, and that many teams in France and England have little problems. Italy have a lot of problems at present, and games in the former East Germany also. A few teams in Sweden and the Netherlands also have a bad reputation for violent supporters.

So I would definetively say watching at the stadium is worth it, but do a little research and avoid games between teams with bad reputations, and maybe even select a home-team with a "family friendly" profile. And to really be on the safe side: cheer for the home team ;)

Håkon

frankthedm

First Post
horacethegrey said:
So I was hoping sometime in the future to watch a real match in the flesh, but all these reports of football violence has me reconsidering. Share your thoughts.
You've seen the evidence. Trust your instincts. If anything happens you will only have yourself to blame because, you knew better.

Spud

First Post
Firstly Hillsborough had nothing at all to do with hooliganism, more to do with the police/stadium authorities letting too many people in.
Ive been watching football for around 30 years and have never got into any trouble, there is even less chance when watching football these days (unless you actively go looking for it) Sad to say though with all seater football stadium a lot of the passion seems to be leaving (at least in English football) It can still be there and when it is its a great place to be.

frankthedm said:
You've seen the evidence. Trust your instincts. If anything happens you will only have yourself to blame because, you knew better.

Ok??? :confused:

So because there have been some deaths at soccer matches over the last 20 years no-one should go to them at all? :confused:

I think that if you go back and read in more detail about incidents like that you will find that a lot of deaths at soccer matches in the 80's were caused by too many people being allowed in the stadium and people getting crushed.

In the vast majority of cases there are no major problems. Sure, some people may get evicted from the ground for being drunk, rude, offensive, etc., but I think that you will find that happens at almost any event that is attended by thousands of people.

As some people have stated, experiences can vary from country to country with some countries, like Italy, having more problems than others.

On the whole though I think you will find the vast majority of times there is no problems whatsoever. The atmosphere at a live sporting event can't be replicated by watching it on TV. You may not get as good a view as watching it home but the experiece of being there is certainly an enjoyable one.

Olaf the Stout

Remove ads