• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Water Temple submerged, suggestions/rules?

Missywelden

First Post
In my campaign I wish to plan a series of "elemental temples". The water temple is going to be completely submerged. I have a way to give them waterbreathing without giving the whole party rings of waterbreathing, so that isn't my issue. I just don't know what would happen with combat. To fight underwater, what negatives would take place. They have a way to get to the temple regardless of their armour (so they don't float to the bottom of the extremely deep lake in full plate or something ^_^). But once in the temple, what happens? Do those wearing heavy armor sink, while everybody floats (and what would the negative difference be there)? What would their speed be in water? Etc... I am looking for what you all would do in my case so I can make sure this turns out right. This has the potential to be really cool...and I really hope it will work out.

There are rules in the SRD for the penalties for fighting underwater without freedom of movement.

Generally, though, its nasty position for the party, because they take a bunch of minuses and have to make loads of checks, while their probably water-adapted foes do not.

My suggestion is to read and reread those aquatic combat rules, (and any others you also intend to use) and then to write them on an index card or print them out for reference during the game. (Or sticky-note the page in the DMG) By the end of the adventure, everyone should be a master of aquatic combat rules.

Also remember visibility will be an issue - water may be clear, but its only lit so deep from sunlight, and torches can't be used. (Though there are other ways) Plus, dirt and grime could be stirred up with movement, totally obscuring vision.

The idea does have some interesting encounter possibilities. Try mixing non-standard tactics into the combats for more memorable encounters. (Try and disable/dispel water breathing abilities? Poison that saps Strength, and therefore, Swim? Swarms of unnatural predatory fish could be a hazard) Don't make them too harsh, but try to pick challenges that wouldn't be possible on land.

For more ideas, WotC has an environmental book "Stormwrack" that has other supplemental rules for aquatic combat. (Things like hazards, monsters and spells, rules for pressure damage and the like, etc)

Interesting Idea - Since combat can and will be 3 dimensional underwater, try having attackers with ranged weapons (special underwater throwing weapons, spells, or just plain rocks lobbed by many creatures) attack from high up (30-50') for an interesting encounter. The characters wishing to reach them will do much better without armor, but getting close with out armor will probably spell their doom. This could make for some interesting tactical choices: Attack head on with little defenses, or find another way around at the expense of possibly falling into an (even worse) ambush.

EDIT: Easy references:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/swim.htm - Swiming Skill rules
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#waterDangers - Basic water rules
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/wilderness.htm#aquaticTerrain - Underwater combat rules

Last edited:

kelson

First Post
my DM recently hinted that we were going into a similar campain... I am going to go look those things up myself. another thing he pointed out.... I an underwater game fireball sucks. chain lightning sucks worse...

kelson

First Post
shouldn't that zap the caster though? at least with the spells that originate from the caster. unless the caster is immune to his own spell, in which case his allies would still get hit... I will have to look this all up, but the DM will probably just overrule the books...

GilaMonster

First Post
No, in 3rd ed, by the book, lightning spells behave the same under water as in the air. Only fire spells are adversly affected (Spellcraft check to cast and less effect)

Felix

Explorer
There is always precident to look at. :)

If it's a *water* temple, don't have the lowest level of the temple under the sea/lake bed.

Make the archetecture flow; perhaps the rooms shift after levers are thrown (levers!) to allow access to new levels because there arn't levels under the lakebed.

Make some of the walls transparent, like some kind of hard water.

Make some rooms that contain air bubble-shaped; maybe these will give the PCs a place to rest.

Perhaps build the temple under the sea but perched over the opening of a great abyss; You would be able to build levels that cling to the side of the chasm. Perhaps a room deep within that temple Teleports you to a final level at the bottom of the trench.

Seperate the levels of the temple: one level in the shallows, one deep, and one in an abyss; transportation between them could be managed with Teleportation Circles, or perhaps some other conduit through the water.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads