• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Water Walk on a water elemental

Acidic_Dao

First Post
I was playing in a campaign and the DM put our party consisting of a mage, a warrior, a ranger and a monk against somebody who could summon elder water elementals at will. His AC was extreamly high as a result of various magic items and spells that had been cast on him. We were not intended to win this battle (it was in order to advance the plot). Our mage decided to cast water walk on the elder water elementals. What happens? I think they would be basically the equivilent of paralyzed because they are water and they would start walking on themselves which they would be unable to do so they would basically be flipping around in circles with their body's trying to walk on itself. Anybody have any ideas?

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
A water elemental is a creature seperate from the water around it, if it is in water.

At most, I'd rule that the elemental (who would have to fail a save) would be borne up and out of a surrounding body of water, but wouldn't otherwise trouble it. Would probably keep it from running away by whipping under the water where you couldn't catch it. Could be an interesting tactic if you were deep underwater fighting something and wanted to get rid of it for a while.

--fje

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Acidic_Dao said:
I was playing in a campaign and the DM put our party consisting of a mage, a warrior, a ranger and a monk against somebody who could summon elder water elementals at will. His AC was extreamly high as a result of various magic items and spells that had been cast on him. We were not intended to win this battle (it was in order to advance the plot). Our mage decided to cast water walk on the elder water elementals. What happens? I think they would be basically the equivilent of paralyzed because they are water and they would start walking on themselves which they would be unable to do so they would basically be flipping around in circles with their body's trying to walk on itself. Anybody have any ideas?
If I may quote the first line of the spell, with a little bit of emphasis added:

The transmuted creatures can tread on any liquid as if it were firm ground.
Note that it doesn't say MUST tread on any liquid; it merely grants it a capability.

Your elder water elemental enemy is now capable of walking on water. It's not required to do so.

It's an intriguing thought, but I absolutely wouldn't rule that it had any deleterious effect on the elemental.

Now, if you'd cast it on your party and then started crawling all over the elemental, I probably would've given you some advantage just for the cool image of it :). But as it is, this was a waste of a round and a spell. Sorry!

Daniel

coyote6

Adventurer
Even if the spell forced them to walk on water, I would just say it would force them to the top of any body of water they were in. At most, you'd be depriving them of their vortex ability (which isn't an inconsiderable effect, given the save DC for an elder elemental).

Generally, if a spell is going to have some other effect on certain creatures, the spell description says so (e.g., control water can act like a slow spell vs. water creatures).

Edit: As a spur-of-the-moment house rule, I might let the water walk effectively daze the elemental. But I certainly wouldn't let it paralyze it (hold monster is 2 levels higher, after all; plus, elementals are immune to paralysis).

Nail

First Post
Pielorinho said:
Note that it doesn't say MUST tread on any liquid; it merely grants it a capability.
The first line does say that....but the last line is more illustrative:
Water Walk said:
If the spell is cast underwater (or while the subjects are partially or wholly submerged in whatever liquid they are in), the subjects are borne toward the surface at 60 feet per round until they can stand on it.

It looks like swimming creatures have no choice....they are "borne to the surface". :]

Nail

First Post
coyote6 said:
At most, you'd be depriving them of their vortex ability ...
As you mention, depriving an elemental of this is a big deal!

Of course, the spell's range is "touch". Good luck, mister Wizard, sir! Go get 'em! :heh:

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Nail said:
It looks like swimming creatures have no choice....they are "borne to the surface". :]
This is true, but I didn't see any indication that this was what was being asked. In such a case, it could be a powerful defensive spell; but I got the impression that they were fighting the critter on land.

Daniel

Infiniti2000

First Post
Acidic_Dao said:
Our mage decided to cast water walk on the elder water elementals.
There's an error in this statement because it can't be plural unless there were multiple spells being cast. You can only target one enemy as part of the spell as a touch attack. You can only target multiple creatures if they are allies. Nevertheless, the spell signifies that the target creatures can walk on water, not that you can walk on them. You could do that anyways. If successfully cast in the water, the elementals are borne to the surface. It's a real hassle for them.

Kapalen

First Post
Why or how would they walk on themselves? The human body is mostly water but if you cast waterwalk on a human their intestines don't try to walk on their stomach? I just don't see the logic?

azhrei_fje

First Post
And an argument can be made that just because the affected creature can tread on the surface, doesn't mean they have to. And if they choose not to, then they aren't necessarily borne to the surface at 60 feet per round. (The part about being brought to the surface could apply only to when the target of the spell chose to walk on said surface, and the spell description specifies the speed at which that happens. If they choose not to, there's no reason for the spell to transport them to the surface.)

Otherwise, a spectral hand used to deliver this touch attack spell might be a great combination in a water combat...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads