D&D 5E Waterfall Cavern in Legacy of the Crystal Shard (Warning: Spoiler!)

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
So my daughter and I are prepping for a New Year's Eve game with a large group and we're using Legacy of the Crystal Shard. (We figure we'll need to split the group up, thus two of us are prepping to DM)

We are confused by the description of the Chute and Tunnel and Waterfall Cavern on page 43 of the Campaign Guide. It appears that the only way into the cave is down the dangerous chute of water, but:

1) there's no info on how to calculate damage characters may/do take if caught in the current, or how to figure out if characters drown, even though those are listed as dangers.

2) It makes no logical sense for there not to be a safer way to get into the cavern (assuming riding the current is the only option through the tunnel): the bear tribe shaman has taken the Elk Tribe prisoners into this cavern, with the intention of sacrificing them to the Ice Witch. Presumably he has been in and out several times, with the prisoners and (one would think) other members of the bear tribe (at the very least the furies).

I'm tempted to suggest that there's a narrow trail alongside the water, and figure out risks for falling in, etc. How have others handled this?

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
A bit more info: This is a group of DnD novices. Of the (possible 10) players, only two have played DnD before, and one of those probably played a different version (we are using 5e rules). I played a little when I was young, and our family has been playing 5e as we have time for a little less than a year. This is my daughter's first time as DM. (I've DM'd all our family games)

CapnZapp

Legend
I would

1) make the heroes and any barbarian allies sturdy enough to only be "refreshened" by a quick dip in icy water (perhaps everyone is smeared in elk fat beforehand?)

2) add a pathway that allows cautious oand/or newbie players a safer descent (even if that contradicts the novel; remember the adventure module is for low level heroes)

Good luck!

Remove ads