• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Watery Sphere (Elemental Evil Companion)

MasterTrancer

Explorer
Howdy all! I am browsing through the spells in the Elemental Evil and a question popped in my mind: with the Watery Sphere spell, one or more creatures are "engulfed by the water" and enclosed in the aforementioned sphere.

My question is this: would you rule that the creatures engulfed are eventually subject to drowning?

For me they should, at least from the spell's description, but I am Always wondering if there's something I'm leaving out or just not noticing.

Thank you in advance.

Paraxis

Explorer
If drowning was supposed to be an effect of the spell I am sure it would mention it, besides with a 1 minute duration it would hardly ever come up.

SUFFOCATING
A creature can hold its breath for a number of minutes equal to 1 + its Constitution modifier (minimum of 30 seconds).

When a creature runs out of breath, it can survive for a number of rounds equal to its Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). At the start of its next turn, it drops to 0 hit points and is dying.

For example, a creature with a Constitution of 14 can hold its breath for 3 minutes. If it starts suffocating, it has 2 rounds to reach air before it drops to 0 hit points.

So just assume anyone caught in the sphere is holding their breath.

MasterTrancer

Explorer
If drowning was supposed to be an effect of the spell I am sure it would mention it, besides with a 1 minute duration it would hardly ever come up.

SUFFOCATING
A creature can hold its breath for a number of minutes equal to 1 + its Constitution modifier (minimum of 30 seconds).

When a creature runs out of breath, it can survive for a number of rounds equal to its Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). At the start of its next turn, it drops to 0 hit points and is dying.

For example, a creature with a Constitution of 14 can hold its breath for 3 minutes. If it starts suffocating, it has 2 rounds to reach air before it drops to 0 hit points.

So just assume anyone caught in the sphere is holding their breath.

Thank you for your answer @Paraxis.

Actually, anyone with a negative CON modifier (i.e.: CON up to 9) would drown and die; the spell duration is up to 1 minute: let's take away 30 seconds (minimum hold breath) and remove again 1 round (minimum survival for a creature that has run out of breath), we're still 4 rounds away from the spell's end, which leaves wide margins for suffocation if I am right. I concede it's rare to find an adversary with a low CON, though I can't check the MM right now.

You are right though in that the drowning is not mentioned in the spell's description, and that is what offput me.

Last edited:

PnPgamer

Explorer
Wasnt the first minutes long breath holding apply only if you prepare for a dive? In other words, they would start immediately suffocating on round basez because the water came around them instantly and they didnt have time to react and fill their lungs.

Paraxis

Explorer
Lets break this down. Target can't be Huge or larger. It gets an initial Str save to avoid the spell entirely, then at the end of each of it's turns it can make another Str save to break free, with the worst Con score possible that is still 6 rounds and so far 7 saves it would have to fail. All of that while the caster has to maintain concentration themselves probably in combat making saves to keep the spell going against any damage they take. If the target fails all 7 Str saves to break free, and the caster makes all the concentration saves to keep it up, then the target drops to 0 h.p and can still make death saves to stabilize.

If you allow the spell to potentially drown creatures, I still don't see all that playing out and it ever happening.

MasterTrancer

Explorer
Ok, did some check: leaving aside the small beasts (rat, raven, weasel, etc.) the only creatures in the MM with a CON of 9 or less are both the kobolds (either winged and wingless) and the pixie.

Using a 4th level spell to eventually kill 4 kobolds is definitely a waste of spell slots.

It remains an interesting crowd control spell maybe, but it won't kill many enemies (though [MENTION=6786484]PnPgamer[/MENTION] consideration should probably be taken into account, but I think it shouldn't change too much the outcome).

Thank you to all.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Sorcerers can both Heighten and Extend this spell.

Target acquired. Enemy mage neutralized. Preparing for transport.

Remove ads