Ways to annoy my players in a semi-post-apoc city

Its the Digenesis setting, sort of 'emerging from post-apoc'. The PCs are going to be spending ten weeks of downtime in a major city pursuing a project.

I've got some politics and intrigue for RP purposes, but what I really want is some minor annoyances to give the period some color and texture.

Any ideas?

EDIT: got enough material. Thanks!

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
Are they renting a house? If so, can you fold in a PITA landlord, a constant struggle against maintenance, or even some old secrets in the basement? Alternatively, maybe there are some citizen responsibilities the PCs will have to partake in and put up with during such a long time. PCs might have to take their turn clearing mutants from the sewer system, or be serving on a jury, or just having to deal with constables and tax collectors.

Thourne

Hero
Oh, you could also have sinkholes and cave ins occurring as subterranean infrastructure gives out.
Not familiar with the specific setting, so, unsure if that is helpful.

When I lived in Florida, a thunderstorm would roll in amazingly predictably at 1445 every afternoon in August.

In this place, some weather phenomena rolls in at nearly the same time every day disrupting travel, errands, and commerce. A powerful dust storm, heavy rain, tarantula migration, whatever. It takes up a couple of hours, so all the businesses shutter up for it since everyone in the know is aware that they won't have business. If you're trapped in a shop you will of course be given shelter. They're not barbarians like over in Wrekedburg. There is a customary gift people carry for this however. It's cheap, just a token really. But you mark yourself as an outsider if you don't have one.

Reynard

Legend
When I lived in Florida, a thunderstorm would roll in amazingly predictably at 1445 every afternoon in August.

In this place, some weather phenomena rolls in at nearly the same time every day disrupting travel, errands, and commerce. A powerful dust storm, heavy rain, tarantula migration, whatever. It takes up a couple of hours, so all the businesses shutter up for it since everyone in the know is aware that they won't have business. If you're trapped in a shop you will of course be given shelter. They're not barbarians like over in Wrekedburg. There is a customary gift people carry for this however. It's cheap, just a token really. But you mark yourself as an outsider if you don't have one.
I lived in Savannah GA for years and it was at 4pm every day in August.

Remove ads