• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ways to cast in armor

Okay, I'm going to explain this a little better. My goal is not to boost my armor or min/max so much as having a character who fits the image in my mind.

The image in my mind: A slightly greying wizard in a mithril chain shirt, holding a longsword and calmly directing the battle from the back, providing assistance where it is needed via illusion, transmutation and creative use of more than a handful of spells. I'm going for this, not to make a wanna-be gish, spellsword or warmage but instead because I want that concept. I know I will be less powerful and thats fine. Concept>Build in this situation. I just think that having spells fizzling or having him bumbling over his armor would kinda kill the feel.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
CrimsonWineGlass said:
A slightly greying wizard in a mithril chain shirt, holding a longsword and calmly directing the battle from the back, providing assistance where it is needed via illusion, transmutation and creative use of more than a handful of spells.
Beguiler sounds perfect.

Lots of buff spells, especially Illusion and Enchantment, but also the better Transmutation spells like haste.

Choose skills that aren't trap-monkey, like Knowledges and social skills (Sense Motive, etc.). Lots of Decipher Script and Use Magic Device, but don't take any ranks in Tumble.

Cheers, -- N

Nazhkandrias

First Post
For that vision of armor, then yes, it seems like you have your heart set on the +1 Twilight Mithral Chain Shirt. Just use the Thistledown Suit until you get to that point - that way, you'll still have your armor handy. It does free up a 1st level slot each day (no mage armor), but I must recommend just using mage armor. Still, you seem to be in this for flavor, so I'm inclined to say Elven Beguiler (perfect spells for your purpose, and the longsword comes from the Elven bit).

In short, Nifft's got it. :)

Storme

First Post
Kat' said:
People... you don't need Light Armor Proficiency with a Wizard. What happens if you are not proficient with the armor you're wearing? You suffer its ACP on all attack rolls and skill checks involving movement. Meaning, if you use an armor with 0 ACP, you suffer absolutely no penalty. Now, depending on your resources, you could use:
- Thistledown padded armor (RotW) 405 gp (+1 AC, no spell failure, go and add some enhancements)
- Wand of Mage Armor 750 gp
- Several minor AC boosters: bracers of armor, ring of protection, amulet of natural armor...
- +1 twilight mithral chain shirt 5100 gp (quite expensive, but hey...)
- Extend spell + Mage Armor, once you hit CL12 your armor lasts the whole day!

This is your bestoption if you want to be a Wizard. Most are suggesting Multiclassing and I'm guessing you'd prefer not to. Beguilers are cool...but they ain't wizards which might take your original concept in a different direction. Personally, I wear the Mithril Shirt on my Wizard and don't mind the 10%...I seriously have yet to fail with it...but that luck won't last...hehe. As soon as I raise the money I am going to upgrade. But if you have the money....

-Get the the Thistledown from Races of the Wild for now,

-Upgrade to Githcraft Mithril Shirt for 3700 (or 1700 depending on how you interpret the rule) from DMGII and reduce to 5% (that's a roll of 1 on a d20)(and +1 Con check) from DMGII

-Or/then the +1 Twilight Mithril chain mail shirt for 5100g that Kat spoke of for 0% spell failure (and 6 ac) as soon as you can from Book of Exalted Deeds page 112.

Storme

Nazhkandrias

First Post
Personally, I believe that you should either go for 0% Arcane Failure, or don't wear armor at all. I don't play the odds when I cast a battle-swinging 9th-level spell - because you just KNOW that that's when that AFC is going to swoop in for the kill. :uhoh:

wildstarsreach

First Post
blargney the second said:
Battle sorcerer from Unearthed Arcana
Duskblade from PHB2
Complete Mage(?) has a fighter alternate class feature that lets you cast in armor
Spellsword from Comp Warrior lets you ignore some ASF

Other classes don't get the advantage of the duskblades armored mage abilities.

wildstarsreach

First Post
Also, dragon #355 has a fighter replacement level, "Armored Savant", reduces the penalty by 1/2, then mithril, half weight ability in Underdark, Twilight ability, Spellsword. I currently have a Duskblade that has 1 level fighter as armored savant, mithril full plate and twilight ability with a penalty of 0% if I were to take another arcane class.

taferial

First Post
I may be far off the mark, but isnt there a selection of feats that solve this.

iirc

Armoured Casting (no asf in light armour, dosnt grant proficiency)
Improved Armoured Casting (no asf in medium armour)

Cant recall where these feats reside, but im sure they are there.

As for sugestions of alternate professions to do this, well I like warlock.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads