Ways to prevent full attack?

Thanee

First Post
That's what you do.

"As soon as he attacks me, I'll move 10' away."

So the opponent (adjacent) starts with an attack. The action is interrupted and you move back 10', provoking an AoO.

Now the attack is continued, but can't be executed, since there is no target within reach anymore. At this point the opponent can decide to either declare it a single or full attack. Of course, the latter makes no sense, so going for the first there is a move action left to get adjacent again.

Bye
Thanee

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
I guess the flip side of that is that you also lose your entire action: if he attacks you, then you lose it to movement (and he only gets an AoO); and if he doesn't attack you, then you also lose it.

Not too bad. I do think that if you use that trick, you pretty much have to use opposed rolls for tumble checks; otherwise, a really good third-level tumbler could last forever against the tarrasque.

Daniel

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Pielorinho said:
I guess the flip side of that is that you also lose your entire action: if he attacks you, then you lose it to movement (and he only gets an AoO); and if he doesn't attack you, then you also lose it.

It gets much better if you've had access to a Sparring Dummy of the Master (or have an Epic Tumble Check).

Ready an action so that when he attacks, you attack him, and take a 10' step.

He misses his attack (since you're not there), and has to take a move action to catch up to you... and on your action, you Ready...

-Hyp.

Mr. Dog

First Post
Karmic Strike + Sidestep
Optional:
Defensive throw, double hit, reach, improved trip

They take a 5' step to reach you and begin the full attack.
Karmic strike kicks in when they hit, granting you an attack of opportunity.
You take your attack of opportunity (or swing with both weapons if using TWF and double-hit).
Afterwards, you use the Sidestep feat to move 5' away.
They are now 5' away and cannot continue with the full attack unless they have reach.

Defensive throw allows you to trip your dodge target if he misses you. This is helpful, because then regardless of whether his attack misses or hits, he gets only the one swing before you can mess him up and move away with sidestep.

Reach, like for being large or having a spiked chain, helps with this. Also, improved trip makes this absurdly powerful.

Scenario:
You are 5' from the enemy. He 5' steps to reach you and swings. He hits. You gain an attack of opportunity.
You have double hit, using a flail and a dagger, let's say. You trip him using improved trip and then get to hit him twice with a +4 to hit.
Then you step away 5'.

He is prone and no longer adjacent to you.

Alternately, you could have a spiked chain, granting reach.
You are 5' from the enemy. He 5' steps to reach you and swings. He hits. You gain an attack of opportunity.
You have improved trip, using a spiked chain. Trip him using improved trip and then get to hit him with a +4 to hit.
Then you step away 5'.

He is prone and at the inside edge of your reach. When your turn arrives, full attack the prone target for mucho damage.

If you have been enlarged or have natural reach, it gets even sicker, as you can use double-hit and have reach. combine both for two swings on an AoOp. as well as being able to stay put and full attack on your upcoming turn.

Darklone

Karmic Strike... whoever put this in CW should get ... ah well. Put into a room with gamergeeks for an eternity where he should play AD&D.

Although they are not sure to work some weapons (alchemist's fire, net, flaming oil) certainly encourage a target to take time to do something other than attack you, and bolas can be even better for this.

Play well!
Owen K.C. Stephens

Jeff Wilder

First Post
DreamChaser said:
if you aren't committed to a full attack action until your second swing, then an opponent readying an action to a full attack action would have to wait until the second swing started before he could move...otherwise he'd have to ready it to any attack you make.

Personally, I wouldn't allow someone to ready an action based on "if he full attacks." The target of the attack has no way of knowing if the foe is full attacking until that second attack is on the way. Hell, the attacker doesn't even know if he's full attacking until that second attack is on the way.

If you wanna ready on "if he attacks me," no problem.

irdeggman

First Post
wilder_jw said:
Personally, I wouldn't allow someone to ready an action based on "if he full attacks." The target of the attack has no way of knowing if the foe is full attacking until that second attack is on the way. Hell, the attacker doesn't even know if he's full attacking until that second attack is on the way.

If you wanna ready on "if he attacks me," no problem.

I agree. The ready action should be for an attack or casting a spell or using an item something like that. Definitely not somehting so specific as a full attack or casting a fireball.

I'd allow someone to ready against a foe castign a fireball, but I'd also require a Spellcraft check to see if the readying character realized that's what was being cast.

Play well!
Owen K.C. Stephens

Remove ads