• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ways to propel yourself while levitating

Liquidsabre

Explorer
How about a controllable/directional kite on a windy day? Additionally, a floating disk for companions to ride on perhaps? Would be a neat way to travel heh. Rope and a ground-based ally below is a sure bet, and a flyer with rope could work just fine too. In an area where there many obstructions such as trees, cave walls, roof beams, etc. hands/feet/staff all work great at pushing off of these surfaces for some movement as well. Perhaps a grapple and hook would be fun to try for some hooking and pulling. Ffor something a bit more complex perhaps a rigged crossbow with rope and reel.

Raspen

First Post
Levitate allows you to move yourself, another creature, or an object up and down as you wish. A creature must be willing to be levitated, and an object must be unattended or possessed by a willing creature. You can mentally direct the recipient to move up or down as much as 20 feet each round; doing so is a move action. You cannot move the recipient horizontally, but the recipient could clamber along the face of a cliff, for example, or push against a ceiling to move laterally (generally at half its base land speed).

what i would do is just flip upside down and **Moon walk** most the time you fall at 60ft per round if you where upside down it would be like falling at 20ft per round.
it would be pushing off the ceiling and giving you a move of half land speed.

Chimera

First Post
Levitation in combat is folly. Unless your GM is extremely forgiving.

You're largely immobile (as you found out).
You're highly visible.
You're out of reach of the Cleric and any healing.

Sounds like a great target. Especially an immobile, unhealable WIZARD. No way I'm letting that guy sit up there casting spells untouched.

Please, levitate higher. I'm waiting with a Dispel Magic! Even better if I do it just when you're dropped to unconsciousness. Then you can't cast Feather Fall and the falling damage is going to ensure that you're dead.

Or course, I'm a rat-bastard GM when it comes to things like this, as the Enlarging Psychic Warrior found out - suddenly he's the biggest, most visible thing on the field of battle and every slinger/archer/spellcaster is looking straight at HIM.

Sejs

First Post
Chimera said:
Levitation in combat is folly. Unless your GM is extremely forgiving.

You're largely immobile (as you found out).
You're highly visible.
You're out of reach of the Cleric and any healing.

Sounds like a great target. Especially an immobile, unhealable WIZARD. No way I'm letting that guy sit up there casting spells untouched.

Please, levitate higher. I'm waiting with a Dispel Magic! Even better if I do it just when you're dropped to unconsciousness. Then you can't cast Feather Fall and the falling damage is going to ensure that you're dead.

Or course, I'm a rat-bastard GM when it comes to things like this, as the Enlarging Psychic Warrior found out - suddenly he's the biggest, most visible thing on the field of battle and every slinger/archer/spellcaster is looking straight at HIM.

Assuming, of course, that the enemy in question have the ability to strike at you up there. Zombie horde, pack of wolves, water elemental, etc? Levitate away, there's not much they're going to be able to do about it.

Anyway, as for propulsion? Giant pair of ski poles?

pawsplay

Hero
I have the same issue in City of Heroes with Hover. Yes, I can get above my foes and blast them. However, if someone manages to close, I'm toast, because I'm so slow. Most of the time, you're better off on the ground. :)

Chimera

First Post
Sejs said:
Assuming, of course, that the enemy in question have the ability to strike at you up there. Zombie horde, pack of wolves, water elemental, etc? Levitate away, there's not much they're going to be able to do about it.

Sure they are. It's called "run away and wait for the spell to end".

Even Wolves are smart enough not to hang around getting blasted when they can't reach you.

mvincent

Explorer
I use overland flight with boots of levitation. It allows for all-day flying while still being able to hover.

I tried using the decanter of endless water with boots of levitation, but the constant DC 12 Strength checks to control the direction of flight made it a pretty wild ride for my gnome.

Bastilean

First Post
When the spell ends the levitated falls harmlessly to the ground. It's got built in non-dispel able feather fall. So you have to cheat if you want to be a rat bastard DM regarding falling damage.

Remove ads