• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ways You Simplify Your D&D Game?

Elric

First Post
What ways do you simplify your D&D game? In the campaign I recently played in, the game was simplified by all of the rules that we didn't use. This isn’t a “X magic item is broken and isn’t in the game anymore” set of house rules based on balance; just things that make it easier to play. For example, we didn’t stop using encumbrance because we disliked the concept- we just did it because no one wanted to keep track of encumbrance. Here are some of the many ways the campaign I was just in was a lot less complicated than it could have been.

Encumbrance- no one kept track, we just looked up max loads occasionally when it might have mattered.

Multiclass restrictions: no Monk/Paladin restrictions on multiclassing. No favored classes or penalties for multiclassing.

Experience points: we just leveled up at the DM’s discretion after completing some number of sessions. If your character wasn’t there for the quests you still leveled. That way everyone is the same level and you don’t have to keep track of exp (and the DM doesn’t have to calculate it for encounters).

Magic item creation: if you aren’t using experience points, this one follows pretty easily. The Wishes are probably also out, although no one ever took those spells.

Flying maneuverability- I’m not sure we ever used these rules except for determining how far a Paladin with a flying mount could move/charge and whether he could hover.

Battle mat: near the end of the campaign, our fights were usually against a single enemy and the battle mat really wasn’t useful anymore. We used it in earlier fights, especially against multiple enemies.

Spell Books: we had a wizard character for a brief time. I’m pretty sure he just picked spells from the core books instead of having a spellbook. If he had one the costs were pretty minimal so he had almost all spells. From what I can remember, material components also never came up.

Damage dice: I got tired of rolling damage for a while and just declared that all of my attacks did average damage. Most of the other players kept rolling the dice, although we did average damage for 20d6 damage type spells a lot

Rolling dice during character creation: you get 32 point buy. Max hp at first level, average+0.5 after that (d4=3, d6=6, etc.). This makes creating characters easier.

Retroactive skill points from Int-based items: characters just got the full number of skill points. This one is way too complicated to keep track of and leads to really silly optimization when creating a higher level character.

No “Object Reading” or “Sensitivity to Psychic Impressions” psionic powers. This never really came up as there was almost no psionics in the campaign. The DM just didn’t have the energy to come up with 20 owners for every object and 1000 years of history for every location and he let the psionic characters know in advance. If a character had really wanted these powers, he probably would have made up a less open-ended version.

I’m sure I could think of more rules that we didn’t use. Does anyone else have similar experiences? Any other ways you simplified D&D?

We’re going to be playing Mutants and Masterminds for a while now. One of the other players ran some M&M sessions while the D&D campaign was going on and being introduced to M&M probably had an effect on further simplifying the D&D.

painandgreed

First Post
Concentrate on role-playing instead of combat.

We also gloss over much of the combat movement and square thing and just wing it. I say "I run from where I am over to the fighter to help him" and the DM says "Ok" or "you won't be able to make it that far."

Psion

Adventurer
If you don't consider it likely you will use something in play, don't waste time statting it out.

Prioritize according to what you think will give you the most value.

Grab a copy of AEG's Toolbox. Use it to fill in details you didn't pre-fill.

Skip using CRs for XP. Look in the DMG for XP per hour guidelines. If you want/need to provide bonuses (for completion, roleplaying, difficulty), cut back on this base award, and then add bonus points for these awards.

Chaldfont

First Post
I assume a player takes 10 in a skill check if he can. Foes using Spot, Hide, Move Silently, Listen always take 10 unless its a dramatic moment. Half the time I don't really look up DCs if the skill bonus is really high--I just say they succeed.

PCs don't have to buy expensive material components or raw materials for magic item creation. Players just mark off the money and we say that they had the stuff all along.

We don't figure food, water or encumberance unless there is an obvious reason to. They have two bags of holding and a couple handy haversacks--thats good enough for me.

High level PCs (13th) vs low level foes (orcs, etc) don't use the usual combat rules. I just make a benchmark guess. Recently a stoneskinned, bull's strengthed druid/warshaper wild shaped into a dire wolf and took on two dozen bugbears. Several rounds later, nothing was left but bugbear goo--no dice rolls.

I roll several attacks/saves/skill checks at the same time with a bunch of d20's and read them from left to right.

Hmmm, that average damage is a good idea. I might have to try that.

Turanil

First Post
C&C :)

Oh well, in D&D I was just not too keen on respecting all this AoO, squares, movement, etc. rules, only sometimes. XP was given on a whim as a to get PCs level up every two or three gaming sessions, I didn't care about CRs, didn't check XP penalty for multiclassing, etc. But in the end I went a step further and now will run C&C.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
I will take apart your choices now, because I'm that kind of guy:

Elric said:
Encumbrance- no one kept track, we just looked up max loads occasionally when it might have mattered.

We usually don't look it up, either. Sooner or later, the party, and eventually every player, will have items like handy haversacks, bags of holdinga nd portable holes, anyway.

We do stay within some boundries, so things are still credible: Stealing a man-sized statue made of pure gold isn't (without magical help), and neither is taking that nice large bed with you.

Also, characters with a really low strength score might be forced to add up the numbers - just to make them feel their weakness.

Multiclass restrictions: no Monk/Paladin restrictions on multiclassing. No favored classes or penalties for multiclassing.

I thought of that as well. In my homebrew, this will be the case.

[/QUOTE]
Experience points: we just leveled up at the DM’s discretion after completing some number of sessions. If your character wasn’t there for the quests you still leveled. That way everyone is the same level and you don’t have to keep track of exp (and the DM doesn’t have to calculate it for encounters).[/QUOTE]

We still use XP, because we like it. It's part of the ritual.

Magic item creation: if you aren’t using experience points, this one follows pretty easily. The Wishes are probably also out, although no one ever took those spells.

I don't see that often, either. Usually people commision their items.

In my homebrew (which I really have to complete one of these days), there usually won't be XP component for spells (I'll use a variation of EoM), and magic items are done away with (there will be artefacts, which often will be as weak as minor magic items, but they cannot be bought or made by mortal hands)

Battle mat: near the end of the campaign, our fights were usually against a single enemy and the battle mat really wasn’t useful anymore. We used it in earlier fights, especially against multiple enemies.

Well, battle mats aren't needed all the time, anyway. they're there to make it easier to track the actions of several actors on both sides. You don't need that with a single enemy. Our fights are mixed throughout the campaigns, though (BBEG's have flunkies)

Spell Books: we had a wizard character for a brief time. I’m pretty sure he just picked spells from the core books instead of having a spellbook. If he had one the costs were pretty minimal so he had almost all spells. From what I can remember, material components also never came up.

As long as there is a wizard class, there will be spellbooks. We don't track the size of the things, or binding, but when a wizard wants more spells than his complementary 2 per level, he'll have to buy the materials to transfer those spells into his spellbook. It's a balance thing.

Normal material components aren't tracked, either, but you have to get the expansive stuff beforehand.

Damage dice: I got tired of rolling damage for a while and just declared that all of my attacks did average damage. Most of the other players kept rolling the dice, although we did average damage for 20d6 damage type spells a lot

Nah, not rolling the dice for weapon damage takes too much fun out of the game. We all like to roll max damage, and dread bad rolls (without anything to dread, the game loses its charm)

I do agree on the big rolls. If you have more than a dozen of dice in your hand, you should not be forced to roll them. Average damage is really nice.

Rolling dice during character creation: you get 32 point buy. Max hp at first level, average+0.5 after that (d4=3, d6=6, etc.). This makes creating characters easier.

We did away with all die rolls for character creation, since they can upset the balance. This means point buy for stats and standardized hit points (having seen a 3rd-level fighter with 13 hp, I know that this can screw you up big time)

I’m sure I could think of more rules that we didn’t use. Does anyone else have similar experiences? Any other ways you simplified D&D?

Of course. There are always some things you just don't keep track of: all that 8 hours or rest for wizards and whether it still counts despite the interruption - all spellcasters (and those with similar abilities, like psionics) get their power back once per day at a set time, just like clerics. This also addressed the issue of some people blasting away with their spells/power points, dominating most combats, but then complaining about them being useless now and demanding a rest after an hour or two of adventuring.

Then there's food and water. Too much to bother really, unless you are in a barren region like the desert. So we just assume that you restock when you hit a settlement. Same goes for ammunition, after a time. And inexpensive material components. We just assume that each party member spent like a couple of gold pieces per "pit stop", which the DM just deducts (or doesn't, since that kind of money won't figure in the big picture anyway).

I go as far as to note "standard gear for X gp" on my sheet. This includes bedroll, rope, flint and steel, and stuff you know every adventurer will need anyway.

There's also a lot of stuff that already got incorporated into the rules via the revision: elven proficiency with either longsword or rapier.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
rogueattorney said:
are both available in .pdf for less than $5 from rpgnow.com. Sure a lot cheaper than spending $90 bucks on rules, half of which you're going to scrap.

In my opinion, even half of the current rules (3.5e) are better to have than all the basic rules from back then. It's not just more rules, the whole system involved and got better.

(edit: And no one will mention that 50% is a vast exaggeration. I think we are talking about ditching less than 5% of the material here.)

scourger

Explorer
I kept my 3.0 game simpler by sticking to the core books. That lesson I learned in AD&D 2e. I didn't & don't use the prestige classes. All the players need is in the PHB. I should not have switched to 3.5, and I've got 1 campaign that won't switch.

Along those same lines, I use 3.0 modules for 3.0 games and 3.5 modules for 3.5 games.

I use initiative cards. I started figuring & awarding xp at the end of every session before we left the table. I eventually started glossing over some challenges that were just slowing down the game, like climbing.

Now, to really simplify a D&D game, I would run it without magic. But then it's likely to be Omega World or Judge Dredd. I still think of them as D&D since they require the use of the PHB, but opinions vary.

To make it even more simple, I would use Savage Worlds. The ideas of card-based initiative and not counting every foe's hit points are so appealing. But, then I really wouldn't be running D&D anymore...

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
If you play a spellcaster, you must have every spell written out on an index card or it will fail and you will lose an action point for wasting the other players' time.

All abilities must be clearly noted (in shorthand if need be); you never need to open a book at the table or else.

While in initiative order, speak only on your action or when questioned by the GM or the active player.

Remove ads