• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[WAYYY OT] How Hard Is It To Immigrate to Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tleilaxu

First Post
ok, let me make it pretty for you.

Teflon Billy, is 'discontent' over canada's immigration laws prevelent in Vancouver? Have you witnessed any such sentiment contributing to Anti-Asian viewpoints among a significant portion of the population?

edit
Elder-basilisk:

Hey tell me about it. One of the former members of my group over here (Chinese Malaysian) got accepted to Harvard Business School, yet had problems with immigration b/c Malaysia is on the XXX list with the US government. Why would someone getting a Harvard MBA want to commit terrorist acts?

Lots of these immigration things go to race, in my opinion. So it is probably easier to get into Canada based on having a desirable ethnic identity.

Last edited:

sunbeam60

First Post
Elder-Basilisk said:
It was really easy to come to Canada from the states to study--I imagine it might be a little more difficult if you need a work visa though. It also depends on where you're coming from. I believe it's easier to come from the US than anywhere else--OTOH, it seems like there should be some arrangement with other commonwealth countries. . . .

Yeah, there is something called a "working vacation", where you are allowed up to two years of part-time work or one year of full-time work. It's a Commonwealth thing.

AFAIK it is pretty easy going to Canada from the US, but coming from anywhere else you should prepare yourself for a long haul. Basically you need to prove (or well, the company that hires you need to prove) to a board that they cannot hire a Canadian to do the job instead of some foreigner . This is somewhat easier for a technology job (the constant Canadian "brain-drain" discussion), but still a hassle.

Also, you need to have worked there for a couple of years before they will even discuss citizenship, but I don't know if that suits your fancy or you would be happy to stay American?

The thing about immigration is that every country seems so intent on keeping work inside the borders. For someone travelling the Atlantic more than most, I can tell you that just trying to find someone to speak to in Canada about what to do and where to go is a hassle. Good luck!

Of course there is always the option of finding a nice Canadian girl and then go that route, though that often seems to work better when not planned than it does planned. It certainly did for me :D .

Regards
Toft

Last edited:

Tar Markvar

First Post
Thanks everyone for helpful responses.

Please don't let this thread get political. I'm seriously seeking information and practical knowledge, in addition to just being curious about how Canada works. This thread has been a big help already, and I'd prefer it not be closed because someone couldn't keep his inflammatory political views to himself. Thanks.

I've always liked Canada, and I've always been fascinated with how alike and how different we are as neighboring countries. For some reason it seems odd that it'd be difficult to move between Canada and the US.

Cheiromancer, is the snow seriously not as thick as in Rochester? That's strange. Though Rochester snow is measured in feet throughout the winter, it wasn't nearly as thick as it was in Buffalo, just 60 miles away. I figured it got thicker the further north you go.

I've heard of, I believe, St. John Fisher University. Not sure about the other one. I attended Rochester Institute of Technology there.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
It's the Lake Effect. Toronto (north of lake Ontario) gets 1/2 the snow that Rochester does (south of Lake Ontario). But there are no big lakes anywhere near Alberta.

Some folks may have heard about an "Alberta Clipper." A body of cold air that goes down the east side of the Rockies (thus entering the states from Alberta) down to the Gulf of Mexico, where it picks up water and brings it north along the east coast of the states, dumping lots of snow on everyone.

Thing is, it's nice and dry when it leaves Alberta. :)

Alberta also has chinooks. Moist air crosses the Rockies through the Crows Nest pass, and as it rises it drops the precipitation in the form of snow. Then when the dry air descends it warms up. It's very noticeable in suthern Alberta- temperatures can rise from 20 below (Fahrenheit) to 60 something in a matter of hours. Up in Edmonton it will moderate the cold somewhat, but it's not too dramatic.

The Basilian Fathers used to administer Aquinas Institute (a private Catholic school) and John Fisher College. We still have some priests there. But our presence there is fading. The College I work at is also administered by the Basilians- there are three of us working here, now, but 15 years ago there was a dozen!

I was just curious if you had heard of us when you were in Rochester.

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
Yes, let's keep the politics out of here. Tleilaxu, you could get some good input at Nutkinland, I think. There are quite a few Canadians over there. This isn't the place for discussing that.

Please let's contain this to discussion on how to get permission to live and work in Canada. Tar, if your question is answered, send a message to the moderators/admins and we'll close the thread for you.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
tleilaxu said:
ok, let me make it pretty for you.

Teflon Billy, is 'discontent' over canada's immigration laws prevelent in Vancouver? Have you witnessed any such sentiment contributing to Anti-Asian viewpoints among a significant portion of the population?...

Anti Asian? Re-read my post man. I'm anti-bureaucracy. At worst I'm anti-fake refugee.

Law abiding folk with job prospects and opportunites here can take years and yers to get their papers, while any criminal who reads our immigration code can figure out that all he has to do is claim refugee status to "jump queue" and get paid for it.

Let me make this pretty for you: Don't paint my comments with your biases.

First Post
Ohh I now all about the "Alberta Clippers" living in Minnesota. The forecast is calling for about an inch of the white stuff on Saturday in the Twin Cities metro, while today its 72 and sunny. Go Figure. Well, it kinda goes along with what we Minnesotans say "if you don't like weather wait around 10 minutes and it will change." So True.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads