• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WB's The Batman

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
I looked around to see if anyone else started a thread and could not find one, so if this is a repeat, I am sorry.

Has anyone seen it? What does everyone think?

It is certainly a departure from The Animated Series. I hope I can fairly assess the new series without comparring it but so far - of the two episodes I have seen - it seems like the new show is a little more cartoonish and a little more Yu-Gi-Oh, whereas The Animated Series was a little more adult.

Villano

First Post
It's airing already? I don't get WB or UPN, but I assume it'll end up on Cartoon Network eventually, so I'll see it then. However, your description doesn't have me looking forward to it.

The only "review" I've read about it was concerning a sneak preview at some comic con. Not much was said about it other than the audience only gave "polite applause". Showing a new Batman cartoon to a bunch of comic fans and they aren't thrilled? Not good.

Jamdin

Explorer
I have not seen the show yet and I guess I really have no desire to do so. From the reviews and trailers that I have seen, it does not look that appealing to me. If I chance upon The Batman while flipping through the channels, I may watch it.

hero4hire

Explorer
I am still weirded out by seeing Batman's villains with the Jackie Chan animation style.

It also seems more for kids. But I certainly enjoy watching it with my daughter.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Keeper of Secrets said:
I hope I can fairly assess the new series without comparring it but...

The use of the word "but" should have tipped you off that you'd not be able to even end the sentence without a comparison...

Oh, Keep of Secrets! Will you ever learn? Will you ever learn?

:p

Why not compare to the Animated Series? It's an animated version of Batman, following on the heels of an animated version of Batman. Saying they shouldn't be compared is like saying that one shouldn't compare the cheese pizza at Pizza Hutt to the cheese pizza at Papa Johns. Sure, judge on their own merits as well, but there's nothing wrong with comparisons.

In my opinion? In every way, shape, and form imaginable, the new "The Batman" loses on all counts. The animation is worse, the character portrayals are worse, the dialogue is worse, the voice acting is worse, the casting is worse. "The Batman" isn't just worse than Batman:tAS, it's a sub-par cartoon. The guy doing Batman's voice sounds like someone trying to be scary and failing miserably. Alfred's portrayed as an idiot. And frankly, I just about turned the TV off when Penguin showed up with the line "The Oz-meister is in the house!"

Some stories, and some superheroes, shouldn't try to be "hip." I love Batman--he's one of my favorite characters of all time--but if this is what they have to turn him into to make him marketable, let the character die a peaceful death.

All IMO, of course.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads