We are VENOM! Trailer

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Currently running at 31% on the Tomatometer. That's not great.

Dear Sony - You are not good at superhero movies. Either farm out your production to Marvel, or settle back to making them with small budgets, so you can focus on story and character.

No way. I bet Sony has a whole treasure trove full of bad superhero-movie ideas that they are just aching to lose money on. What about a Black Cat movie? Or a Morbius movie?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I saw it and its fine

its certainly not up to the good Marvel standard of epic movie but I'd rate it much higher than Thor the Dark Elf movie and on par with the Ironman v Whiplash one (IM2?). Sure, its not an awesome movie experience but the criticism is unwarranted and for me it sits in fine next the previous Spiderman movies (Raimi) and Eddy Brock even reminded me vaguely of the guy who became Sandman.

I'd be happy to watch it again...

I think it was not terrible, but it wasn't amazing. I would say you will be entertained most of the time.

Tom Hardy is definitely awesome, and the best parts might be the ones about his interaction with Venom.

[sblock]

I think the rating did not help, because it clashes with the brutalness Venom's action suggest - biting off heads isn't pretty. I suspect that held some of the movie back.

The villain is basically evil Elon Musk clone with only a hint of depth that's not really utilized in the movie.
Eddie Brock is an investgiative journalist that basically loses his career and his fiancee for asking some challenging questions to the villain. And while we see him trying t pick up his career, he doesn't really show any agency of digging deeper into the thing he uncovered. He needs a doctor in the villain's team to convince him to do something. I would have expected an investigative journalist hero would be actively pursuing his lead and maybe recruit that Doctor to his cause.
But what happened there felt weak, and could basically have been cut in favor of seeing more of the interaction between Eddie and Venom.

As it is, that's basically the smaller part of the movie, and we don't really see how Eddie convinces Venom to fight for Earth and not eat everyone.

The final fight suffers the problem that many superhero movies have (but not everyone of them):
The two symbiont abilties are kinda abritrary - so them throwing each other around or whatever makes it difficult to say that anything meaningful happend to them or how the fight is progressing. And since the villain(s) are kinda one-dimensional, and particular the relationship between villain and hero, we also don't get any interesting interactions between hero and villain in the fight. Theoretically Venom probably could have had potential to make it interesting by doing more with relationship between Eddie and Venom in that fight and basically have the villain fight just as backdrop, but they did not.

To give a counter-example: Someone like Magneto and Professor X have a deeper relationship, and so when they clash, they have stuff to talk about, to be angry about, to be sad about, to be sorry, they can exchange arguments and what not, all while they are blasting each other with mutant powers.
If you don't have such a relationship at work, you can still make it interesting when the fight abilities ar ekinda relatable - someone getting his weapon knocked out his hand or suffering a deep cut is something you can understand. Someone being thrown around through a wall and falling of a 10 story building to continue fighting on the ground is much harder to relate to.)

[/sblock]

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
The movie currently has an 89% audience approval on Rotten Tomatoes. It's weird how different that is from the critic score.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
and we don't really see how Eddie convinces Venom to fight for Earth and not eat everyone.

I actually liked that Venoms decision to stay was kinda arbitrary - we do get the scene on the rooftop when he looks over the city and declares it to be beautiful and having that enough to convince Venom to change his mind seems to be well within his character. In the same way he doesnt really stop eating people he just decides he likes Eddie Brock and will humour him by only eating Bad guys.

That said I agree the villains were naff and that more Venom-Eddie interaction would have been awesome. Indeed I have the feeling that lots more movie ended up on the cutting room floor.

Richards

Legend
The movie currently has an 89% audience approval on Rotten Tomatoes. It's weird how different that is from the critic score.
I read a lot of the negative reviews were written by Lady Gaga fans - she had a movie come out the same day as "Venom" and they were trying to redirect potential "Venom" viewers to go see "A Star is Born" instead. (It's kind of telling when the reviews direct the reader to go see a specific different movie instead.)

Johnathan

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
I read a lot of the negative reviews were written by Lady Gaga fans - she had a movie come out the same day as "Venom" and they were trying to redirect potential "Venom" viewers to go see "A Star is Born" instead. (It's kind of telling when the reviews direct the reader to go see a specific different movie instead.)

Johnathan
Umm, wait, what are you saying there? That you read somewhere that the bad critic score on Rotten Tomatoes was caused by reviewers intentionally giving it a bad review, and then telling people to see the other movie? Is that really an actual thing that's happening? :confused:

Richards

Legend
No, the opposite, really: that Lady Gaga fans were posting negative reviews elsewhere trying to get people to go see "A Star if Born" instead of "Venom." I'm not sure where Rotten Tomatoes gets their reviews, but their site is generating a whole lot more positive feedback than the Gaga-fan fake reviews would lead you to believe.

Here's a link to the story I read: https://www.cbr.com/lady-gaga-fans-fake-venom-reviews/

Johnathan

Remove ads