"We Demand Service!": Players Expecting NPC Handouts

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Obviously this is a pendulum that can swing too far in either direction - from PC's who want everything handed to them up front, to NPC's who refuse even the most basic and reasonable forms of aid that are well within their ability to supply.

Greedy players and stingy DM's. A tale as old as gaming. :D

Lylandra

Adventurer
Hm, that isn't too much of a problem in my two current campaigns. In the first one, the players are part of a resistance army which is basically funded by the populace, nobles and some governments. It has become a bit of a :):):) for tat. They participate in the resistance efforts and the resistance gives them the services they can offer, but they have to pay for any costly materials. They also turn in every "low level" equipment (to arm the army) to pay for high quality stuff for themselves.

In the second one, we are basically employed and can request material and support within reasonable limits. In return, we cannot simply "go adventuring", but are sent on missions.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm usually pretty good at making it clear that the NPCs will help as best they can, but if they could have done the job themselves, they would never have asked the PCs for help.

That said, I'm terrible at giving out treasure, so...

Fauchard1520

Adventurer
In the second one, we are basically employed and can request material and support within reasonable limits. In return, we cannot simply "go adventuring", but are sent on missions.

That's a solid set-up, but I think its effectiveness will vary by group. If you've got the kind of players that constantly demand, "If this mission is so critical, why can't we borrow a little man-power from the organization?" then you've got to come up with reasons. That can strain credulity after a while.

S

Sunseeker

That's a solid set-up, but I think its effectiveness will vary by group. If you've got the kind of players that constantly demand, "If this mission is so critical, why can't we borrow a little man-power from the organization?" then you've got to come up with reasons. That can strain credulity after a while.

I always like to play a balancing act between "You're working for XYZ, but you're also hired help." It provides the framework that comes with working for an organization, but also the unspoken "we're shorthanded" answer when players demand support.

Phion

Explorer
I had a cleric called Dr Med (not real name, forgotten his real name (long story)) and he charged the party for his healing services. I made a insurance type system, that gave certain party members priority and so on and he had packages to be a personal physician if people paid enough gold. People saw the funny side of it and all the gold made was donated to the church.

r-selection is a real thing. If you can't lick it in game, it's best to find players who are a bit more K-strategist in nature. Few things are more irritating than entitlement.

Nytmare

David Jose
In general, my campaigns tend to run closer to an E6 power level, where the only people the characters ever really meet with levels are the other player characters. That being said, there's usually not anyone to ask for help, and if there is help to be given it's pretty mundane.

I had been running a "West Marches" styled PBP exploration game a while back that involved a lot of resource management and that included a lot of buying and replacing gear at a discount from the company funding the exploration, but it unfortunately keeled over dead after a couple of weeks.

Remove ads