• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

We need another BG/BG2, Forget the MMORGs!

Kaodi

Hero
Well, that is patently false. Not all games are made for twitch reflexes, not by a long shot.

And there is nothing wrong with Besthesda. At least wait until Fallout 3 comes out before passing judgement. If it turns out to just be a pretty but shoddy Fallout game, there is nothing precluding Fallout 4 from going back to the old style and system.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
BG2 was okay, ToB was good.

But even with the muddled fighting I still prefer Torment.

Planescape: Torment 2. With BG2 combat. That's what I want.

Lockridge

First Post
Assuming you are not married to D&D rules, try The Witcher.
Downside is that you cannot create your own character at the start. This particular character is integral to the story. You do however get to pick all abilities and talents as the character progresses so its pretty much the same thing. Also, you control only 1 character, not a group.
Anyway, it has a great story which is one of the things I liked about BG and Torment.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Knights of the Old Republic, anyone? It's got BG2-style NPC interaction.

Cheers, -- N

PS: BG2 is what brought me back into D&D, too. :)

scrubkai

Explorer
Fallen Seraph said:
It still aggravates me that Planescape was only the first of a whole series of games, to imagine how much good plotlines were lost, quite annoying.

No chance of Planscape 2...
I remember reading someplace that Bioware swore off ever trying to write that much text again for a game....

But if someone did make another Planescape game at the quality level of torment... I'd pick it up on the first day... IMHO that game was the best game I Black Isle ever came out with.

Last edited:

Frukathka said:
I'm all for a Baldur's Gate 3.

Even better, I'd love for BioWare to buy the rights from EnPublishing to do a War of the Burning Sky PC Game. :cool:

That actually is a long-term goal of mine: getting to be in charge of a big RPG. I had a whole _bunch_ of ideas planned for a WotBS video game, with a lot of stuff based on who you chose as your starting character, so you could experience the same plot from many different perspectives.

Now that I finally have a computer that can run Neverwinter Nights (yeah, my old computer sucked), I'm hoping to more actively pursue that goal.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Psyckosama said:
Thats not going to happen. Games today are all made for console kiddies who have twitch reflexes and the attention span of a pound of yak butter.

The best your going to get is Oblivion... or maybe... Oblivion wif Gunz.

Bethesda needs to die.

Uh, that doesn't even make sense. Consoles are the last place where you can find turn based RPGs at all (other than perhaps shareware). The only real difference is in console games you need to press a button, PC you need to click a lot.

And Oblivion is essentially identical in gameplay terms to Arena, a PC game from the early 90s. Granted, they made the UI more console friendly in this iteration, but it plays the same.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
RangerWickett said:
Now that I finally have a computer that can run Neverwinter Nights (yeah, my old computer sucked), I'm hoping to more actively pursue that goal.

There's a new version of RPGMaker coming out

http://tkool.jp/products/rpgvx/eng/index.html

Granted, it's for console style RPGs (and SNES era quality, too). And obviously isn't d20/D&D. But it has an advantage that you can actually sell the games you make with it.

And frankly, one of the biggest hurdles facing new computer game designers is being too ambitious and never finishing something. Starting with a smaller, simpler program than something like NWN (which isn't horrible, but not easy, either) lets you worry more about the adventure, not the programming issues.

Remove ads