• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

We Need More Constructs!

Greatfrito

First Post
Hey everybody. My friends are I are about to start playing an Eberron campaign, and something caught our eye.

Well, including Eberron, Constructs are a little bit more viable, what with the inclusion of the multi-purpose Humunculi...

Humunculi, as we see them, take care of the lower levels, while Golems (and the other constructs for the most part) take care of the higher levels.

We're looking for something in the middle, that makes Craft Construct something usefull in the mid-high levels (low teens).

Either house-ruled or referenced, we're open to everything.

When I get around to it, I'll post some of my own.

Thanks everybody.

[Also posted on http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=293864
]

Kabol

First Post
I dont agree - i ran a BBEG arificer agianst my group the other night and was very impressed with his Iron defenders. they have Good Hps - Decent BAB - good str < easly augmented > so have high attack and bonus dmg. And with Improved natual attack are dealing 1d10 dmg. Iron construct is intense - 15 DR +4 str and takes half dmg form firs/acid - that makes them easly a decent tank at mid and upper lvls.

The only weak point i see in Homocs are thier Bad saves. Makeing them vunerable to AE spells that can hurt an artificer 2 fold < hemoc died Arti take 2d10 >.

Also - with an Arti's ready access to item creation, he can Easly buff his and itemize them to fit the situation < BBEG made Filtchers with human bane claws - very nasty >

But - like the Artificer in general, outta the box hes kinda Blahh - but with a lil planning and a smart person behind the dice hes easly the most powerful class in the game.

Plus - where else in the game can you get a Cohort that cheap :)

Last edited:

VirgilCaine

First Post
Have you seen the converted Constructs from the Creature Catalog?
There are a few of them, and there's a Wax Golem (costs 8k gp, no level limit I think, and is just a body with half damage from blunt weapons, electricity res 10, and fire vulnerability) in the Candlemaker's Fire Cliffhanger (in the RETIRED FEATURE section).

There's at least one that let you make them at 12th level in the Creature Catalog.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
I like the constructs from the Complete Book of Eldritch Might -- eye golem (really not a golem), stone tiger, 11-headed brass hydra. The latter two are examples of the magical construct template, and make good combat creatures; the eye golem is a great watcher, useful for all stronghold managemen strategies.

JimAde

First Post
I don't know from Eberron, but I have a new construct in my homebrew. It's similar to a Shield Guardian, but it's called a Blood Guardian. Instead of being keyed to an amulet, it's keyed to its creator's bloodline. Also, it's specifically designed to fight spell casters. Check it out.

Stormborn

Explorer
I have an article that is scheduled to appear in the first issue of ENWorld Gamer that should give you the tools to build all the constructs you want.

VirgilCaine

First Post
I like the idea of the Blood Guardian, but you really should keep to standard stat format.

11-headed brass hydra. The latter two are examples of the magical construct template, and make good combat creatures;

Sounds cool. Does the Complete Book of Eldritch Might describe how a wizard can apply the template? Like, how a PC could?

Khaalis

Adventurer
Another great sorce for advanced Construct concepts is Mongoose's "Encyclopaedia Arcane: Constructs".

The summary:

"Constructs - An Overview:
An in-depth look at the crafting of constructs and the relative differences between golems, automatons and simulacra.

The Drawing Board:
Full rules for building your very own construct!

The Artisan's Craft:
Details and costs of building a construct of any size, from the Adamantine Golem to the Clockwork Automaton.

Building a Better Construct:
The mere building of a construct is by no means the limit of this field of arcane wizardry. Constructs can be refined and improved, making them utterly lethal to the wizard's enemies.

Construct Abilities:
A full listing of all the special abilities and feats that can be incorporated into the design of a construct.

Maintenance:
Even the hardiest construct may suffer serious damage. Learn how to repair your new creation quickly and easily!"

Li Shenron

Legend
Greatfrito said:
We're looking for something in the middle, that makes Craft Construct something usefull in the mid-high levels (low teens).

Well technically you probably can't create them with Craft Constructs, but you can still use MM's Animated Objects, which can cover a large range of CRs. The idea is of existing object which attack with what they have (usually just slamming), so it may not fit your idea of actually crafting something for the purpose of combat... however you could use the MM entries as a simple guideline.

I seconds that Mongoose's "Constructs" is a good source, with three different types of constructs:

Golems - draftly crafted usually from a single material, and animated by bonding an elemental spirit inside
Automata - basically robots, only mechanical with magic power supply
Simulacra - artificially-crafted biological replicants

The book should cover CRs from 1 to 20 for every type, with ready samples and generic rules to make your own. I think it may have its own rules for actually letting the PC craft those creatures, but probably you can simply take the results from the book and craft them with your own current rules.

Sylvaroth

First Post
MechGolem

For my CS I plan to have the dwarves of the world (see sig) utilizing golemlike constructs which they use as war suits and for mining (i. e. thei sit inside of them and control them by thought), but I am not quite sure how the 'mind control' thing could be done.

Any suggestions?

Remove ads