D&D 5E We Would Hate A BG3 Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zardnaar

Legend
Over the years I have noticed a phrase "player entitlement" thrown around.

My tastes last few years gave been themed games. Stuff that doesn't fit is excluded. According to the forums that's bad wrong fun.

BG3 has been a big hit. But consider.

Curated list of phb options.
PHB races plus Githyanki only. DM changed them as well.
Capped at level 12
Only floating ability scores from Tashas.
No feats at level 1 allowed.
Curated list of Xanathars options.

Game like that would get you crucified here on the forums since I'm a tyrannical LN type DM.

Next game will be magitech themed (warforged and gear forged prominent) or Norse (add bearfolk and troll kin as prominent races).

Damn Lawful types DM's. That BG one is brutal.

I want to exclude most of Tashas.

Zardnaar

Legend
I imagine the only thing that might get an eyebrow are the weird house rules, multiple bonus actions, all the tweaks etc that bg3 makes to 5e to let it fit in the Divinity:OS2 framework.
And Barrelmancy. And the spells-comboing with environmental stuff (making casters even MORE fun and powerful?!)

Barrelnancy lol. Martials got buffed a lot eg just bonus action jump.

Copious amounts of magic items as well.

My wife went spellcaster heavy I went martial heavy early on and pwned.

MGibster

Legend
BG3 has been a big hit. But consider.
I think we'd see some problems with the content of the campaign itself. Have you ever seen a thirstier D&D campaign where almost every important NPC is set on nailing the PC? In Act 1 of the BG, you come across a bugbear raw dogging an ogress which is something I can scarcely imagine happening in a published D&D adventure these days. Would any D&D campaign today make it a viable option to kill the Tieflings and destroy the Druid's Grove? That pretty much goes for any of the evil stuff you can do to advance the plot.

I just think this is silly. I have run many constrained campaigns and have seen many more in the wild. This idea that every table is full of people who demand that certain options be in every setting is wild to me. On top of that, do none of you play with friends? If you do, do you just let your friends bully you into running things you don't want in your game?

MGibster

Legend
I just think this is silly. I have run many constrained campaigns and have seen many more in the wild. This idea that every table is full of people who demand that certain options be in every setting is wild to me. On top of that, do none of you play with friends? If you do, do you just let your friends bully you into running things you don't want in your game?
The OP did say such a curated game would get you crucified on online forums rather than in the real world. When I ran Curse of Strahd both times I restricted the players to the races available in the PHB without nary a complaint.

Zardnaar

Legend

Ba it's online drama only. IRL most people just happy to play.

Players like that tend to get evicted or not invited to begin with.

Zardnaar

Legend
The OP did say such a curated game would get you crucified on online forums rather than in the real world. When I ran Curse of Strahd both times I restricted the players to the races available in the PHB without nary a complaint.

Our DM said sonething like humans and near humans. Eg ef, Aasimar, Genasi.

Zardnaar

Legend
I think we'd see some problems with the content of the campaign itself. Have you ever seen a thirstier D&D campaign where almost every important NPC is set on nailing the PC? In Act 1 of the BG, you come across a bugbear raw dogging an ogress which is something I can scarcely imagine happening in a published D&D adventure these days. Would any D&D campaign today make it a viable option to kill the Tieflings and destroy the Druid's Grove? That pretty much goes for any of the evil stuff you can do to advance the plot.

It's fairly typical of rpgs since 2003. Dark/light options.

Romance options similar time frame but sexy party time since around Mass Effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads