• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wealth by Level Guidelines- how closely do you follow them?

beaver1024

First Post
I follow them really closely. If not the clerics and druids in my game would be taking on CRs +6 above their level easily instead of just +3.

Li Shenron

Legend
I follow the chart quite strictly, even if I usually find the number of items per PC higher than my taste. Normally I give PCs the treasure suggested in the adventure, and I check with the chart if it's better to increase it or decrease it a little next time.

Crothian said:
I don't even look at them. I could care less what the DMG says about wealth in my game. A DM knows his game, setting, and players better then any book can so a DM should be able to judge the wealth he hands out.
I agree completely.

The counter-argument "I can't meet the challenges unless I have equipment appropriate for my level" also doesn't apply in my game since I use monster challenge ratings only as a very loose guideline and I use my judgement in assigning challenge ratings to encounters.

Players are entitled to prefer a "by the book" DM who keeps a careful eye on treasure ratings and ensures they are always more or less adhered to - but that type of player is going to have so many other aspects of my DMing style to complain about that he or she would be much better off in someone else's campaign.

Zeit

Explorer
I see no sense in using them other than in the context of CR. I don't run the DMG after all, I run a campaign where people actually have to work for money.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
I can't imagine ever using them for any campaign that I would like to run.

And I would have nothing to do with players who tried to tell me that I 'should' follow those guidelines -- I have no time for petty, immature people like that.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Ellie_the_Elf said:
... My players, as far as I can tell, are okay with this, but I'm feeling bad for 'short changing' them. So what would you do in this situation?

Ellie :)

If your players are having a good time, how could you possibly be 'short changing' them? Any rule or guideline in a RPG should be changed if it results in a fun campaign.

Morrow

First Post
In theory I stick close to the guidelines. In practice, maybe not so much. I've been running the Death/ Terror/ Madness in Freeport series, and I toned down some of the magical treasure because it seemed too much for characters of the party's level. Unfortunately, I didn't pay enough attention to how much treasure they were getting, so they ended far poorer than I expected. That in turn fouled up my estimates of how challenging some encounters were going to be. Oops.

On the other hand, I'll probably run Black Sails Over Freeport soon, which ends with the chance to find the biggest pirate treasure in history. It will certainly blow their wealth level out of the water. Oh well, they'll have fun, and that's really the point isn't it? I did okay with a poor party, I think I can handle a rich party for a while until things even out.

Morrow

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
My tendeny is to run very stingy campaigns, with the PCs averaging somewhere between NPC and PC wealth each level. (I see it as a continum)
After my lasst campaign I did a player survey and uniformily the players wanted more wealth, and magic items. So I upped the treasure, some and added items that level along with the Characters. Now they stay in the top 15% of the continum, really only going over if someone falls behind in levels. It is a fair amount of work for me to keep them there.
and there are still limits of what items are avalible where, and how long it takes to get them.

ie in a small city there is one ring crafter, but he can't get to your request for another (roll) 11 days, your GI roll is not enough to find a ring of counter spells for sale.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
I have no qualm about giving out money. But, then again, I have other limitations in place for how many magic items a character can have so I don't have to worry about extra money tipping the balance in the player's favor.

Odhanan

Adventurer
Do you follow the wealth by level guidelines in the DMG? And if so how closely?

For starting characters above 1st level, more or less, yes. That's the limit to aim for at my game table, but if the totals are a bit off (by 5 to 10% say) it doesn't matter to me.

For characters in the game for a while, I don't worry so much about the cost of items but rather about their properties. Giving a +4 weapon to a level 5 character would be too much, for instance.

Last edited:

Remove ads