• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wealth by Level-Monk

Omegaxicor

First Post
I was looking over the Monk and it says that at level 1 the monk has 5d4 gold (Max. 20g) but then at level 2 all adventurers have 900g from wealth by level chart in DMG

Does the Monk's gold really increase that much over one level or is there some calculation you have to do on that amount based on the classes?

Herzog

Adventurer
Wealth-by-level is used to provide a rule-of-thumb to determine whether the gear a character has is appropriate for the level of the character.

starting gold is used to buy starting equipment. Since a monk doesn't have to buy armor, the 20g should suffice.

A level 2 monk with the same gear as he started with (no magic items found etc) should be considered low on (magic) items.

kitcik

Adventurer
Starting gold is silly, but WBL is not a rule it is a guideline. In theory, yes, their gold increases that much.

Monks need all the help they can get - give them double WBL!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
WBL is a calculation of what the average character will have in wealth as a member of a party that divides shares evenly. So it's not too outré to contemplate that a martial artist could gain that much in that time.

What he'll SPEND it on, though, is another matter.

Empirate

First Post
WBL assumes you go through your regular 13 level-appropriate encounters/level with a party of 4 (equal levels all around), that you roll average results on the treasure table, and that you share loot equally. Over the course of gaining your second level, you fight a lot of monsters, which you can loot for an average 900 gp in the aforementioned circumstances. That's where WBL comes from.

Wyvernhand

First Post
I prefer to think of WBL more as a measuring stick. Take a look at your average party level (I like the LG method, sum levels / number of party, then add 1 for each PC above 5). ELs I set my PCs against are generally APL-1 to APL+3. If the PCs have a ton of cash, more than WBL, and it is invested smartly, they might bump the challenges up a little (APL+0 to APL+4). If they are lagging behind on average wealth, the challenges might be a bit easier (APL-2 to APL+2).

There is no entitlement to WBL, but a good DM should know that in general, CRs assume average WBL and design encounters accordingly. Then again, we all know how accurate the CR system is...

Omegaxicor

First Post
sorry, I meant to say "ARE the WBL rules are the same for everyone" and by Rules I meant the table in the DMG that say Level 3=2700g but I understand that at level 3 you don't automatically have 2700g it is just a measure of how close to Average Wealth by Level your party is.

but my question was whether you had to do something to that figure to get what each class should have and now I have my answer (and I understand it better) thanks

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads