• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weaning Off the Sauce

zacharythefirst

First Post
I'm done with WotC in its current shape or form. I let go of current D&D with 4e, and now, I'm letting WotC go altogether. I want miniatures, I'll go to eBay. I want to play Star Wars? I'll grab my WEG Star Wars.

No more. It's over.

As am I. Or, as the Charleston Mercury put it some 149 years past:

117544894_fc5b7f15f2.jpg

Aristotle

First Post
I'm with the OP, but I've taken it maybe just a bit further...

Up until now I've purchased every book (except for adventures) for 4e. But it became obvious to me a few months ago that, while I really like this game, this game is structured so that almost every book is relevant and useable. The downside to that is that you typically need them all if your group uses options from the whole library. I don't have a problem buying books but, as the library grows, the travelling DM realizes that a digital library is much more convenient on the go.

I've gone ahead and cancelled my Amazon preorders for everything else announced. It just doesn't make sense to build a physical library anymore when a digital one is the only convenient way to play this particular game. So... I'll start buying wotC again when I can get the PDFs. If they never become available? I guess the edition is done for me.

I'll hold onto my DDI subscription. I paid for the year. I don't know if I'll resubscribe. That depends on whether I find another game I'd rather play.

Bottom line for me: Only a game with a solid core rules and limited rule supplementation is acceptable in 'hard copy only' format for me. A game with a large library of supplements and interconnecting books simply has to be available digitally and with minimal (if any) restriction to my usage.

bouncyhead

Explorer
WotC is not "disrespecting" me by refraining to sell me what I want them to sell, nor do I feel the urge to somehow personalize the motivations of a large number of people whom I have never even met, and who frankly have no personal reason to care whether I live or die.

I am in the market for a game that is fun, not a life partner or an emotionally supportive friend. If they keep selling me fun things, I will keep giving them my money- and so far, that is exactly what they are doing.

This is spot on. (Though they do care if you live or die - especially you, you wonderful customer you!).

I stopped giving them my money when they stopped selling stuff I liked. 4e core will be my last ever purchase - not to my taste.

Good luck to all editions and all who sail in them.

Drkfathr1

First Post
Boycotts almost never work, but if enough people get tired and move on to other products/companies the net result will be the same.

I'm not sold entirely on 4th ed yet. Have to wait on Arcane Power and Divine Power before I can make a reasonable decision (since I'm still waiting on options). After that I can decide if it's got all the features I'm used to in my D&D games and how many house rules I'll have to make. I am playing it currently, but I'm not running it for my group yet.

My group of 7 players have only bought two 4th Ed Player's Handbooks so far, and they haven't shown any interest in buying any of the others until we've had a chance to really try it all out. We're still finishing up our 3rd edition campaign and since you can't easily convert...it might be another year!

None of us are subscribed to the DDI either.

The design decisions they've made, which are driven by their "marketing plan" that none of us really agree with, have led us to vote with our wallets.

We're not "subscribing" to a table top role playing game, and not buying 5 books to get the options we once had with 1. (Yes, there are more options in the 1 book than we had before, but most of those are new options, not the ones we were wanting at the get-go).

Some non-WotC games I've enjoyed

7th Sea (the d10 edition): This game is great. In my mind, it is the perfect cinematic rpg. It takes 7 European countries at the various times in their history (Renaissance and pre-Renaissance eras), tosses in some pirates, and all sorts of interesting mysteries (ancient civilizations,religious mysteries, etc) and tosses them all together to make a wonderful setting. I love both they system and the setting (though I do wish that that magic system wasn't tied so heavily to the setting). Anytime a question of "what to play" comes up, I'm always recommending this. While the game itself is out of print, you can buy the PDFs of the books through DriveThruRPG.

Older Edition DnD: I'm a big fan of 2E dnd (being born in `79, this edition was what introduced me to the game). It has some great settings (if you don't want to homebrew) and, for me at least, captured a very gritty feel. For me, 2E dnd is the gritty where 7th Sea was Cinematic. If you wanted to go the free route ORSIC is out there and I think does a nice job of capturing the flavor of older editions.

M&M / Champions: Both of these games are great super hero games, allowing you to create virtually anything you can imagine. M&M, for many gamers, is the friendly d20 title they will jump on (though I think Champions has a great system as well, I have found that many of the gamers I play with avoid non-d20 games).

Savage Worlds: I've yet to play the game itself, but what I've read of it I have really liked. There is a wealth of books out there for it. It is non-d20, so that my turn off some gamers (the argument of I don't want to learn a new system has been thrown at me more then once to my chagrin).

Voadam

Legend
Was it a perfectly logical response to the piracy issue? Yes.

How so? I've been trying to figure out their logic and coming up with big gaps.

Filing the lawsuit and asking that files on sites be removed seem like logical responses to.

But I'm not seeing the harm to WotC that is ameliorated by removing all pdfs from sale.

fireinthedust

Explorer
page 3, getting into skip-over time... oh well.

I like the R&D department. The game is waaaaay better. I will continue to buy stuff when I have the money. DDI character generator alone is fantastic, let alone access to all the books I am slowly buying.

I may sample, but I slowly buy all books that I do. slowly. 4e is way ahead on my list. If I don't get it, someone gets it for me (Christmas, Birthdays, or I'm their DM and they appreciate a game or something). Piracy isn't an issue for me. In fact, the way that I run my game is generating income for WOTC because I'm increasing their sales.

Management: tricky to be specific, but: I have known people who, for whatever reason, are just hard-wired to NOT GET IT when it comes to other people's feelings. They might be able to count (cash, 3.x stacking rules, etc.) but they are morons when it comes to nurturing relationships.
I don't know why they would alienate their customers in an industry based on SOCIAL ACTIVITIES AND PLAYING NICE WITH EACH OTHER.

I mean, how can they get the jobs they've got if they don't understand what makes their product work?

I'm studying psychology, I work in addictions recovery. I've seen some F***ed up ideas of how to interact with people.

The legal department needs a wake up call.

MIKE MEARLS is a friendly-looking guy (video on Facebook I found through the GG site of him and Goodman), though, and I reeeeeeally like the R&D team's work. I have to support these people, as they are doing a good job.

I think being this sort of specific is important.

I don't think the Boycott is worth my time, but good intention. Try something else. Be the end product, they'll pick up on it.

Remove ads