• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weapon Balance - A Statistical Analysis

Crazydwarf

First Post
killing an enemy 10% faster than normal is much better than being missed an additional 10% of the time IMO. An enemy that is alive longer can do plenty of terrible things and not just whittle down your HP with AC and Ref attacks. They can stun, inspire fear, dominate, and so on.
True, but so can a group of PC's, wich is why it's important fighters need to be "sticky" so the others can do their stuff.

A THW adds a little stickiness, a shield lets them be stickier a little longer.
Again milage may wary depending on the DM's tactics and choice of monsters for the evening. And difficult, if not downright impossible to account for.

Sounds similar to 3.x.
I wouldn't know, I have never played AD&D pre 4e.
It's a system local only to scandinavia I belive, and it wasn't level based.

Well, it turns out....Lots of stuff that seems to make sense
Looks about right, I'm gonna have to get back to you on this later though, after a thorough think through.
One problem with boosting THW is that we do not want a defender to outshine the strikers.
And from some sources a well built fighter can allready come close, though how that is possible I do not know, and it speaks ill for strikers if true IMHO :heh:

I think it would be better to have them each face the same monsters rather than each other. I think it would be good to have them face a variety of monsters including some that target will and fort. Obviously, each other wouldn’t do this for the most part. I’d also do different levels (at least one per tier, but I’d do two per tier, one at a lower end of the tier and one at the higher end).
I was aiming for simplicity with a minimum of variations, and I was thinking doing the middle level of each tier (5,15,25 right ?)

But mine also makes a bad testing grounds for certain weapons, those with reach for starters as I wasnt planning to use minis and terrain at all. I'm not even sure what I think of reach weapons...Too little experience with the game yet.

Crashy75

First Post
Looks about right, I'm gonna have to get back to you on this later though, after a thorough think through.
One problem with boosting THW is that we do not want a defender to outshine the strikers.
And from some sources a well built fighter can allready come close, though how that is possible I do not know, and it speaks ill for strikers if true IMHO

Yeah, I'm going to have to think about it as well. I might have to go back to the more complicated way as something is off. 10% of the avg. creature's hp ensures (roughly) that you are downing an extra baddie over 10 hits/20 attacks. I calculated it using DPR which was a mistake. That ensures that you are downing an extra 2 baddies over 10 hits/20 attacks. This was not the right way to go about this.

EDIT: A much better way to do this would be to see if the damage done by a 1-handed weapon over 20 rounds roughly equals the amount of damage done by a 2 hander over 18 rounds.

I'll get back to you.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads