• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weapon damage added to skill? Noobish dm

wightwhale

First Post
I was wondering on my player's sheet it says the damage above as follows

Hit: 1[W] + strength modifer( +5 ) and ...

then below it says
Battleaxe: +9 attack, 1d10+7 damage

my question is does the player roll a 1d10 and add 7 damage to that and then a +5 for the strength modifer. Or does the 7 damage not get added?

Last edited:

Hit +1 (level) +5 (Strength) - and he really should have a +2 or +3 proficiency bonus, depending on the type of weapon. +2 for an axe.

1d10 +5 (Strength) +2 (miscellaneous bonuses) = 1d10+7 damage. Also, don't battleaxes do only 1d8 damage for a [W]?

I think your player might be confused by the rules. The damage might be too high (by a point or two), although there are feats like Weapon Specialization, Weapon Expertise and Dwarven Weapon Training that could explain the damage bonus. If the PC has a dwarven waraxe, that would deal 1d10 base damage, rather than 1d8; of course, the weapon would be a dwarven waraxe rather than a battleaxe.

What level is this PC? What class? What feats do they have?

I was assuming 1st-level, but if they're above that, and have magic items, that could easily explain all those numbers.

Breaks

First Post
the power card sheets generated by the character builder can be confusing for sure.

true, the text on powers only lists the ability modifier (if any) that is added to the damage roll, or any other static extra damage dealt by the power, but that does not mean no other damage bonuses get added. in general, the numerical explication on the cards (1d10+7 in this case) is accurate unless you have conditional damage bonuses that the power card isnt taking into account (stances, a lightning weapon and lightning damage boosts, a bonus from your leader).

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
The +7 includes the +5, so don't add them both. The PCs is probably getting another +2 from someplace, such as a feat or magic weapon.

wightwhale

First Post
Ok so to clarify a few things the character is level 2 dwarf with weapon specialization which accounts for the +2.
So the last person seems to say that the total damage is 1d10 + STR (5) + 2 for specialization. It seems to me that I shouldn't be adding it like so 1d10 + STR(5) + 7. Does this sound correct?

Remove ads