• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Weapon Help

Mandalore108

First Post
So I made the following weapon and I was hoping I could get some feedback on making it balanced:

Greatsword of Force

Damage is related to the characters strength. 10-11 is 0 additional damage. 12-15 = 1d4 force damage. 16-19 = 1d6 force damage. 20 = 1d8 force damage. The inverse is also true as the sword will damage those not strong enough to wield it.

The sword also has 3 charges which can be used as follows:
Ranged attack of 45 feet doing 2x the above force damage + strength modifier. If used at melee range the enemy takes normal damage plus the additional 2x. Additionally, the enemy must make a strength saving throw or be knocked prone or knocked back 10 ft depending on the swing of the user. The user rolls every morning to determine how much is recharged.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Your write up isn't clear - is the damage listed the weapon damage, bonus damage instead of STR, or bonus damage on top of STR? The word "additional" under the 10-11 makes me think it's bonus, but it being STR based makes me wonder if it's replacing STR damage.

The force damage averages roughly to the same as the STR mod, but I like it being a die because force damage isn't often resisted and it gives the hope of using it against a resistant creature and hoping for those high rolls. As a die it also doubles with a crit, which makes it even nicer.

The categories are odd - almost everything in 5e would go based of the ability MOD instead of a custom set of dice steps just for it. But that's no show-stopper.

You mention the weapon will damage those not strong enough to wield it but there are not mechanics around that.

The 3 charges seem fine. They aren't a high power add, some versatility and a bit of nova damage. You mention roll for recharge but don't say what to roll.

Not understanding the base damage of this, it's hard to say if it's balanced.

As a side note, less than two hours later is a bit premature for a bump. Give it a day - this is an international board, people log in from all different time zones.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
It'll work as a magical weapon but I think if I was going to use it that I would simplify it.

Deals an additional 1d6 force damage.
Has 3 charges, regains 1d3 charges at the start of each day. 1 charge can be used to cast the magic missile as a 1st level spell which can only target a single target. Additional charges can be used to increase the effective spell level by 1 per additional charge.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
First of all, I see you are relatively new to the boards, so welcome! Have some XP!

As to the weapon, my first question would be what is the history, story, or reason for the weapon existing? Are you the DM of the game? If so, who wields this sword and why was the magic designed in this way?

If you're the player in the game, are you trying to work with your DM to have your character obtain or craft this item? If so, what is your character's motivation for possessing this item? Is there something this item allows your character to accomplish that is unique that couldn't be accomplished by a +3 sword?

In terms of the mechanics, it is worded strangely. 5e doesn't usually have abilities that state you do 2x damage. Also, most weapons in 5e don't generally change the damage dice used based on strength. This addition attempts to reduce book keeping and make the language streamlined. If you want to increase the damage based on strength, I might limit it to adding double your strength modifier.

Personally, I would say the weapon just adds a flat d4 or d6 force damage. It's cleaner.

With the charge uses, I would suggest clarifying what happens when you use a charge. For example, what is this ranged attack you can do? Is it shooting a beam of force? Is it extending the blade out to 45'? Are you throwing it and it returns to you? Why 45' rather than 20' vs 100'? With the melee version, what is happening that is increasing the damage? From my perspective, writing up a magic item should include some descriptive text regarding how the item appears or what it does as it is used? With the knockback/prone ability, does the wielder choose the effect, is it random, or does the DM determine?

Finally, as a part of posting ettiquette, I would suggest not bumping your post after only 2 hours. Give the post a day or two before you start bumping it. Otherwise other posters may perceive it as obnoxious or impatient and may be less likely to respond or comment.

Coroc

Hero
Do it like [MENTION=6788732]cbwjm[/MENTION] suggests, give it a fixed boon (1d4 is ok) and some charge ability modelled after a spell. The charged ability should be usable as a free action on a hit, or instead of one of your normal ranged attacks.

Rather than introduce a mechanic depending on the attribute, give the weapon a reason and personality why it does not be wielded by weak characters. If your intend is as a GM that the sword should go to the party brute and no one else, then the sword will simply zap everyone else for 1d4 force damage who even touches it.

Rule 0 applies, if someone questions why and does not accept your explanation that the sword wants to be wielded by the strongest char because of blah.---

Remove ads