• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weapon Proficiencies

cjr88

First Post
So, I just can't find the rules for weapon proficiency anywhere. I'd love it if someone could point me in the right direction. I really need the rules for weapon proficiency bonuses when casting spells

the Jester

Legend
Spells almost always use implements rather than weapons.

A weapon used as an implement ignores the weapon proficiency rules.

Basically, there's no advantage to having a non-magical, non-special implement when casting a spell; only those with magical or special properties give you any kind of advantage (bonus to attack & damage, etc).

Attacks with the Weapon keyword that are made with a proficient weapon get the weapon's proficiency bonus to attack as well (usually +2 or +3). But again, Implement powers ignore that bonus even when the character is using a weapon as an implement. This is because Weapon powers typically target AC while Implement powers nearly always target NADs, which are (again, as a rule) about 2 points lower than AC.

EDIT: As for references, sorry, IDHMBIFOM.

sigfile

Explorer
Feats are why you'd use a non-magical implement. You can't benefit from Rod Expertise/Focus unless you're actually wielding a rod.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads