• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weapon Proficiency Questions

daddystabz

Explorer
I am a little confused about Weapon Proficiency. In the phb it simply states that you gain proficiency in a chose weapon group each time you choose this feat but it does not describe what being proficient actually does! I read on a forum somewhere here that certain weapons give you a +1 to attack if you are proficient with it and some a +2. However, I do not see where this info is coming from the weapons table where for instance the Longsword gives a +3 prof bonus. Is this the Weapon Proficiency bonus they speak of? So the only thing that happens to you if you pick up a weapon you are not proficient in is that you do not get the prof bonus?

Thanks in advance!

charlesatan

Explorer
daddystabz said:
However, I do not see where this info is coming from the weapons table where for instance the Longsword gives a +3 prof bonus. Is this the Weapon Proficiency bonus they speak of? So the only thing that happens to you if you pick up a weapon you are not proficient in is that you do not get the prof bonus?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, you are correct. That is why Improvised Weapons do not give a Proficiency Bonus to attack.

Kordeth

First Post
daddystabz said:
I am a little confused about Weapon Proficiency. In the phb it simply states that you gain proficiency in a chose weapon group each time you choose this feat but it does not describe what being proficient actually does! I read on a forum somewhere here that certain weapons give you a +1 to attack if you are proficient with it and some a +2. However, I do not see where this info is coming from the weapons table where for instance the Longsword gives a +3 prof bonus. Is this the Weapon Proficiency bonus they speak of? So the only thing that happens to you if you pick up a weapon you are not proficient in is that you do not get the prof bonus?

Thanks in advance!

Correct. If you're proficient in a weapon, you add the proficiency bonus to any attacks made with that weapon. If you're not, you don't. See PHB p. 219.

Mort_Q

First Post
In the weapons table, on pp. 218 - 219, there is a column labeled Prof. That is the bonus you get for that weapon if you're proficient in its use.

Remove ads