• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Weapon Properties Removed?

DrNevermore

Villager
Really stupid question, but I feel like I overlooked it somewhere in the DMG. Did they remove properties like Flaming, shocking, frost?

delericho

Legend
Yes, mostly.

There exist items that do pretty much the same things, at least as some of the properties, but these are described as specific items. For instance, I think you'll find a flaming sword in the DMG, but no flaming mace, axe, or bow.

DrNevermore

Villager
Yes, mostly.

There exist items that do pretty much the same things, at least as some of the properties, but these are described as specific items. For instance, I think you'll find a flaming sword in the DMG, but no flaming mace, axe, or bow.

That's what I thought. Thanks :)

dmnqwk

Explorer
They're attempting to make each magical item feel important, as opposed to generic +1 here, +1d6 fire damage there. You are absolutely free to dish out these items and call them by those familiar properties if you wish though. Basically think of each magical item you give out as something extra to make the players feel more awesome, but for power levels they are unnecessary.

Also a 1d6 flaming sword on a Fighter (with a Str 20 and fighting style 1h weaponry, so doable as early as level 6) changes their output from 11.5(1d8+7) to 14(1d8+7+1d6) which is almost a 35% bump in damage - with AC so low in 5th edition for monsters, extra damage really can add up quickly.

DrNevermore

Villager
They're attempting to make each magical item feel important, as opposed to generic +1 here, +1d6 fire damage there. You are absolutely free to dish out these items and call them by those familiar properties if you wish though. Basically think of each magical item you give out as something extra to make the players feel more awesome, but for power levels they are unnecessary.

Also a 1d6 flaming sword on a Fighter (with a Str 20 and fighting style 1h weaponry, so doable as early as level 6) changes their output from 11.5(1d8+7) to 14(1d8+7+1d6) which is almost a 35% bump in damage - with AC so low in 5th edition for monsters, extra damage really can add up quickly.

It makes sense. Plus, there were some really BS properties back in 3.5 that I'm glad I don't see anywhere in 5e

Dausuul

Legend
Yeah, they were replaced with specific items (flame tongue, frost brand, etc.), but it's easy enough to use those items as a template.

Wolf118

Explorer
Yes, mostly.

Some items specifically say what kind of weapon they are (sunblade is a long sword, for example) while others (Vicious weapon) can be any type as determined by the DM.

However, the WoTC team has said in SA that you can reskin just about anything, as the DM. If you want a flametongue mace, go for it. One of my players has a crossbow that fires radiant arrows that it makes (like the bow in the old D&D cartoon), while another has a spear that does lightning damage.

Also, there are four tables in the DMG that allow you to customize each magic item based on creator or intended use, historical detail, minor property, and quirk. That hearkens back to the BECMI tables for weapon generation, and you can certainly use those in your 5e game with very little modification. Here's my conversions for melee weapons:

Melee Weapon Talents
Talents are unusual magical powers that various weapons can have (though they are most often applied to swords). They are not the same as a sword's primary or extraordinary powers, which are described later, and a sword can have both a talent and primary and extraordinary powers. Talents can be certain spell effects or some other useful ability.

All talents may be used only once per long rest unless noted otherwise. Talents that replicate spells do not require preparation or spell slots, and they don’t require somatic or material components or concentration. Unless otherwise noted, using a talent requires a bonus action to activate.

· Breathing. The weapon with this talent allows the user to cast water breathing (self only) as an action, once per long rest. If used in a non-liquid environment, it supplies only the user with pure air for 10 minutes, and it can be used to counter the effects of airlessness, poisoned air (such as a gas trap), and so forth; however, it cannot negate the effects of any breath weapon.
· Charming. The weapon with this talent allows the user to cast charm person as an action, once per short rest.
· Deceiving. The weapon with this talent allows the user to cast disguise self as an action, once per short rest.
· Deflecting. When another creature damages the wielder with a melee attack, the wielder can use their reaction to reduce the damage by 1d10 + their Dexterity modifier. This ability can be used once per short rest.
· Finding. The weapon with this talent allows the user to cast one locate object or locate plant or animal spell as an action, twice per long rest. The very rare version can cast locate creature spell as an action, once per long rest.
· Healing. The weapon with this talent comes in two different versions. One allows the user to cast prayer of healing as an action, once per long rest. The effect heals 3d8+3 hit points for each creature selected. The other allows the user to cast cure wounds as an action, once per long rest. The effect heals 4d8+4 hit points.
· Hiding. The weapon with this talent allows the user to cast invisibility (self only) as an action, once per long rest. In addition, the weapon can itself become invisible three times per long rest (with the same restrictions as the invisibility spell).
· Holding. The weapon with this talent allows the user to cast hold person as an action, once per long rest.
· Lighting. The weapon with this talent allows the user to cast light as a bonus action, up to three times per long rest.
· Silencing. The weapon with this talent allows the user to cast silence as an action, once per long rest.
· Slowing. When a successful hit is made, the weapon with this talent allows the user to cast slow as a bonus action. The spell only targets the creature struck. The user may decide whether or not to use this effect after the swing hits. This talent can only be used once per long rest.
· Speeding. The weapon with this talent allows the user to cast haste (on the user only) as an action, once per long rest.
· Translating. The weapon with this talent allows the user to cast comprehend languages as a bonus action, up to three times per long rest.

Remathilis

Legend
IIRC, there is a mace in Lost Mines that shines like a torch, does radiant damage instead of bludgeoning and does 1d6 extra damage to undead, but that appears to be add-ons to a bog-standard +1 mace. I think as long as you stick to that kind of guideline, you can get away with making flaming (weapon does fire damage, +1d6 vs. cold-based), frost (cold damage, 1d6 vs. fire creatures) or shock (lightning, +1d6 vs metallic creatures) with no need to tinker with rarity.

Say what you will about not having specific prices, it does make doing this kind of ad-hoc item creation easy.

hejtmane

Explorer
Yeah, they were replaced with specific items (flame tongue, frost brand, etc.), but it's easy enough to use those items as a template.

Some of those go all the way back to 1e and 2e; I just use them as templates and wants the point of adventuring if their is no magic item to find at least one If I remember correct those same swords where in 3.5

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads