• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weapon Size and Class Weapons

phillipjp

First Post
If medium-size rogues have the Heavy Mace on their weapon proficiency list, does a Large (i.e., two-handed) Heavy Mace still count?

(In our next game, I'm playing a half-orc rogue, and all the light, one-handed weapons just seemed too wimpy for a brute. ;) )

phillipjp

First Post
Not that I'm doubting someone with 8000+ posts, but can you point to a ruling in a book on that? The only thing I've been able to find is the "one-handed, two-handed" equipment section in the PH, and the "increased damage" section in the DMG.

Crothian

First Post
phillipjp said:
Not that I'm doubting someone with 8000+ posts, but can you point to a ruling in a book on that? The only thing I've been able to find is the "one-handed, two-handed" equipment section in the PH, and the "increased damage" section in the DMG.

Don't beleive me because of my posts. Postcount means nothing. :D

Actually, what you should be looking for a rule that allows different sizes of weapons to be used under the same proficiency, which there isn't any. Take a light mace, increase its size, you get a heavy mace. That takes a different proficiency. Now, you want to take a heavy mace, increase it's size but have it fall under the same proficency.

I understand your need to want a Half Orc Rogue be a brute and usea more powerful, larger weapon. THere are feats you can take, or you can multi into fighter or barbarian and get all martial weapons and then hope your DM rules the new weapon you want falls under that.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
phillipjp said:

Until the book says they're the same, they're not. The only time a book calls out two weapons as being the same for the sake of proficiency that I know of is S&F's treatment of whips and whip daggers.

Crothian's right.

dcollins

Explorer
The increased weapon size rules are only on DMG p. 162 where it recommends them for "some opponents you encounter" -- they are not automatically available for PCs to buy (note they also have no pricing rules). Unless the DM house-rules it, a PC rogue shouldn't even have the option of obtaining a Large Mace, never mind having proficiency in one.

Mr Fidgit

First Post
and don't forget, a rogue's weapon list is very specific: "Medium-sized rogues are also proficient with certain weapons that are too big for Small rogues to use and conceal easily"

if a Medium sized rogue was allowed to use a Large mace (one size bigger, use two-handed), then a Small sized rogue would be able to use a heavy mace (Medium sized weapon), but they can't because they can't conceal it

phillipjp

First Post
Mr Fidgit said:
and don't forget, a rogue's weapon list is very specific: "Medium-sized rogues are also proficient with certain weapons that are too big for Small rogues to use and conceal easily"

Ah, that makes sense. :rolleyes: This is not the first time a rule has been concealed in three words of a page full of text. Oh well, the fighters in the group will be happy that I won't be out-damaging them -- at first level. :cool:

Remove ads