• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weapon sizes

Tripgnosis

First Post
Ok a few questions here.

PHB pg 220 states that large creatures can treat smaller sized 2-handed weapons as one-handed weapons.

What about reach? Does a medium sized halberd wielded by a large creature in one hand retain it's reach?

Next question...

PC Minotaurs (monster manual pg 278) are oversized, meaning they can use weapons one size category larger than themselves as if they were the same size category.

Does this mean they can also treat 2-handed weapons of their own size category as if they were one-handed weapons?

And to combine my questions: Can I legally play a Minotaur paladin who wears plate mail, carries a large shield, and wields a halberd in one hand retaining the reach property. Cuz that would be just a tad bit AWESOME.

Dalzig

First Post
Ok a few questions here.

PHB pg 220 states that large creatures can treat smaller sized 2-handed weapons as one-handed weapons.

What about reach? Does a medium sized halberd wielded by a large creature in one hand retain it's reach?
Yes. The halberd doesn't get any shorter. PHB 220: When a creature that has a natural reach uses a reach weapon, the weapon increases the creature’s natural reach by 1 square.
Next question...

PC Minotaurs (monster manual pg 278) are oversized, meaning they can use weapons one size category larger than themselves as if they were the same size category.

Does this mean they can also treat 2-handed weapons of their own size category as if they were one-handed weapons?
No... Just, no. "Oversized: You can use weapons of your size or one size larger than you as if they were your size." Note that it does not say "as if you were their size." Large weapons count as medium weapons for you. They still require two hands.
And to combine my questions: Can I legally play a Minotaur paladin who wears plate mail, carries a large shield, and wields a halberd in one hand retaining the reach property. Cuz that would be just a tad bit AWESOME.
No. Halberd would still require two hands.

Last edited:

HighTemplar

First Post
note that unfortunately you dont get natural reach 2 while fighting with a reach wpn, just the possibility to make attacks with melee reach at one more distance square. That means you cant make attacks of opportunity when foes leave non adjacent threathened squares unless you get the polearm gamble feat (which rocks).

Remove ads