• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weapons as implements

Tai

First Post
Most (if not all) arcane classes have at-wills that say "this power can be used as a basic ranged attack."

I know Eldritch Blast, Acid Orb and Dragonfrost off the top of my head, though I'm sure there are others.

Yes, I know. What I mean is, two fisted shooter allows you to make a basic ranged attack with that *weapon*. Could you still use it as an implement to make a basic ranged attack?

DracoSuave

First Post
Yes, I know. What I mean is, two fisted shooter allows you to make a basic ranged attack with that *weapon*. Could you still use it as an implement to make a basic ranged attack?

If that hand-crossbow is somehow also an implement, then yes, you can use it to use a power that counts as a basic ranged attack.

This might be a good argument to not permit a crossbow to be an implement.

It might also be a good argument to permit it.

Tai

First Post
I'm not expecting it to become an implement anytime soon... But if it does happen I'll be a happy sorceror/daggermaster ^^

That said, it would be possible (although extremely foolish) to use deft hurler style to grant you a basic ranged attack with a drow long-knife, and if you had arcane implement mastery (heavy blades) you could use it to use one of the basic ranged at-wills. However, it involves four feats, and being a hybrid fighter/sorceror, so I think I'll give it a miss :p

DracoSuave

First Post
If that hand-crossbow is somehow also an implement, then yes, you can use it to use a power that counts as a basic ranged attack.

This might be a good argument to not permit a crossbow to be an implement.

It might also be a good argument to permit it.

I couldn't find it, but there was a thread about using two-fisted shooter in order to get free uses of a power that counts as a basic ranged attack. Science and AV2 has allowed this to happen.

Hybrid Bard and the class with the attack you want this to work with. Taking only implement attacks (unless you're going drow), and AoEs to maximise the chances of critical hits to occur.

Then grab Sneak of Shadows, and Two-Fisted Shooter. This can be done by a human at level 1--this might be the best way to do this as you can then take an AoE as your other at-will.

Going with Sorcerer, let's go with a Wild Mage. Works well with Dexterity. Hey, Rogue likes Dexterity! Maybe this can work into a Daggermaster build down the road....

Start with 18 Charisma, 16 Dexterity, Human, other attributes to taste.

Blazing Starfall, Chaos Orb, and Bard at-will of choice are next. Now, every time you AoE and crit -anything- you get a free attack with that handcross bow. Personally, I like the Songbow of Vanishment because it can make you invisible to dudes which combos with Sneak Attack.

At level 2, take Hybrid Talent: Wild Soul so you can milk the extra attacks from Chaos Orb.

When you hit Paragon, going Daggermaster so you can enjoy 18-20 criticals is a must. At this point, you'll be wielding a dagger-of-choice, with song[handcross]bow of choice in the other hand.

The cool thing about this is that the Sorcerer part will add quite a huge damage to your bard parts, and bard has a lot of AoEs so you'll be rolling -tons- of dice and getting -tons- of criticals to exploit and Acid Orb off of.

And the halarious thing is that each Acid Orb might -itself- critical prompting MORE Acid Orb.... OR... you'll roll even on the attack promotiny MORE Acid Orb.... and more criticals...

Wow.

Dual Implement needs to get in there at some point.

Last edited:

Tai

First Post
I'd say you should take Storm, so you can get Fury of the Storm at Epic tier. Then take a bloodiron dagger and watch the sparks fly ^^

DracoSuave

First Post
Storm doesn't give you random extra attacks from your at-will power that is the centerpiece of the entire build. Which means that the two-fisted attack that gives you one attack isn't potentially giving you two, three, or more.

And Fury of the Storm IS awesome. But combos that work and are sick at level 2 are better than combos that work and are sick at level 21.

DracoSuave

First Post
Suggestion:

Duct tape the wand to the crossbow.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

-O

That reminds me of a tourny game where I had the Craft skill, a crossbow, a gem of light, a bunch of lenses, and a bottle of that universal glue.

So I made a laser sight for my crossbow.

Remove ads