• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weapons as special effects

woodelf

First Post
DanMcS said:
I need to go through your post more fully, which won't happen until later, but thanks for the notes.
If that were to happen in time for my Sun afternoon game, that'd be really cool. ;)

Zoatebix

Working on it
Me!

I just haven't gotten around to doing any gaming. I think that this system is loads of fun, though.

Last edited:

SSquirrel

Explorer
My gaming group hasn't been able to coordinate our schedules for 2 months, so I haven't had a chance to put anything together to show it off anyway.
Next game I run I plan on making use of this, as well as Ken Hood's Grim N Gritty ruleset. Some good stuff going on here and I think once we have a few more tweaks it will be VERY cool indeed.

Oh yeah, Dr Spunj's pointbuy system will also be getting used for character creation. Ken and Spunj's stuff can be found in House Rules in threads with their usernames.

Hagen

woodelf

First Post
SSquirrel said:
My gaming group hasn't been able to coordinate our schedules for 2 months, so I haven't had a chance to put anything together to show it off anyway.
Next game I run I plan on making use of this, as well as Ken Hood's Grim N Gritty ruleset. Some good stuff going on here and I think once we have a few more tweaks it will be VERY cool indeed.
One thought: it seems to me that GrimNGritty and this weapons-as-skill system are working against one another. The former is trying to make combat more realistic, and perhaps more complicated; the latter is trying to make combat more free-flowing and heroic. I'm not sure i'd combine them without serious revisions to one or both. I suspect one would frustrate the other's effects, and they just wouldn't mesh very well.

SSquirrel

Explorer
woodelf said:
One thought: it seems to me that GrimNGritty and this weapons-as-skill system are working against one another. The former is trying to make combat more realistic, and perhaps more complicated; the latter is trying to make combat more free-flowing and heroic. I'm not sure i'd combine them without serious revisions to one or both. I suspect one would frustrate the other's effects, and they just wouldn't mesh very well.
I haven't gotten to do any playtesting of the idea yet, so yes its possible. The reason I was excited about this, and in using it with GNG, was that it frees you to use whatever weapons you want and not worry about "this is a gimped weapon". I'll hafta see how it all works.

Hagen

Navarp

First Post
This is great. The only thing I would add is that the stunning DC=Damage dealt would be overpowered. One foe would never be unstunned.

Corlon

First Post
hmmm, I SOUNDS pretty cool, and is certainly balanced against itself. But how about hit point advancement, and magic that have all been thought out to be pretty balanced with each other.

Would this allow fighting types to do more than they should according to the current rules?

This sounds like you want to play Feng Shui or Pagoda my friend.

Remove ads