• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weapons vs. Mecha Armor Hardness?

MadMaxim

First Post
I've been looking through the Mecha section of d20 Future over and over, but I'm still in doubt whether mecha subtract the hardness of their armor from all types of damage. I can't seem to find an explanation in the book and was wondering whether anyone could clarify the rules regarding mecha armor for me? Is it just damage reduction or doesn't the hardness of the alloy matter in any way?

There's armor, and there's superstructure. Both work to protect the mecha. Obviously armor is better, but a duralloy mecha is still plenty tough.

Armor works as normal - avoids damage.

The superstructure prevents damage by providing hardness. It applies equally to all attack types except maybe sonic. (Sonic often ignores hardness, but maybe not always.) Even area of effect attacks are affected. Energy damage is not halved before applying hardness, and yes, the hardness does apply to energy damage. This was all covered in Bullet Points.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
The hardness of mecha works exactly the same way hardness works in the core rulebook, except that you do not halve fire and electricity damage before applying hardness.
As PSH says, this is covered in the Bullet Points series of articles.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads