• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weather in Campaigns

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I've often used the Greyhawk tables. I pre-gen a lot of weather and jot them on my campaign calendar. Then, I can seamlessly handle weather-related issues as they come up. The PCs had to lead a bunch of escaped slaves/refugees out of the Drachensgrab Mountains in a multi-day downpour. Lightning strikes, mudslides, a fight against pursuers in bad weather - it was a good way to add texture to the situation.

I think it adds "character" and "reality-seeming" to the setting. I roll 2d10's for each day. The first is cloud cover: 1 is infinitely blue, 10 is overcast.

The second is windiness: 1 is still, 10 is raging wind.

Combine the two dice with the season and terrain, and the result for the day before, and I get an idea of the weather. For example, in a Western Europe-type climate, 1-1 in summer is a very bright, very hot still day, while 10-10 is serious thunderstorms. In winter, 1-1 is cold and dry -- cloudlessly very cold at night, whereas 10-10 is a blizzard.

The weather is just sorta there. I don't typically roll for it every adventuring day. I'll point out things like "Hey, we're moving out of summer and starting to get into autumn".

If I want to play up the weather it's typically built into the encounter or adventure.

I haven considered playing up the weather more as I DM but mostly as a way to make the PCs paranoid. ;)

zipben

First Post
I use the following charts as part of my campaign tracking spreadsheet. I have found weather to be a highly underated tool. Consistant weather makes the world feel alive, and helps mark the passage of time in an interesting way. My players love hearing about how as they leave a dungeon they find that winter has broken and the snow is starting to melt.

Screen Shot 2015-09-24 at 3.05.57 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-09-24 at 3.06.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-09-24 at 3.06.18 PM.png

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Yeah, as someone pointed up thread, I used to use the Harn weather charts, but now consider it too much book keeping for such a trivial matter. That said, I do include "weather of the day" for mood whether that's drizzel, rain shower, a storm, or a foggy, though most of the time, its unmentioned, meaning its a clear day. I also like to use catastrophic weather usually as a one time event throughout an entire campaign, like a volcanic eruption, a major earthquake, tornados and hurricanes. I've even used a heavy hail storm to drive the party into a nearby cave providing a back entrance to a catacomb system.

Gilladian

Adventurer
Seasons are pretty clearly tracked and used, daily weather only when it interests me. I have a weather almanac, and I often check it for general trends when the pcs have a journey to take. They've been traveling recently for over a month, and the early spring weather has been pretty miserable. Fighting goblin monkeys in a downpour was fun!

I had a power gamer in my last group. Any combat encounter was trivial to him due to his build. What did him in? He wandered off into a snowstorm by himself. The party never did find his frozen body....

I had a power gamer in my last group. Any combat encounter was trivial to him due to his build. What did him in? He wandered off into a snowstorm by himself. The party never did find his frozen body....

Once long ago, I was DMing a party that went through the Yatil Mountains of Greyhawk, with some of the members of the party not having tents and winter blankets. Another time they were trapped in a village that was running out of food. They survived both events, but they always have camping gear and a lot of rations along, and Leomund's Hut and Create Food and Water are considered "important" spells to gain.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
For the Kaidan setting of Japanese horror (PFRPG) there's the free one-shot module from Rite Publishing, Frozen Wind, which is a survivor horror adventure, combining real and supernatural cold weather conditions in a dire situation with undead frozen monks, ice oni, a yuki-onna and a paced timeline in a mountaintop monastery.

Last edited:

Remove ads