• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Web based DMG/MIC treasure generator: now with bulk items!

ChimericDream

First Post
Update 7-1-07: I've got the full MIC side up and running. In addition, you can now opt to add trade goods (DMG only) and/or goods generated using the tables in the Draconomicon. There's still quite a bit to be added, like prices for some of the bulk items, but I'm quite proud of what's done so far.

http://www.chimericdream.com/dnd/TGen/TGen.asp

Opinions and comments are welcome and most appreciated.

It's still in beta, but the full DMG side should be up and running. I'd like to see if the friendly folks here can help me find bugs with it. If you find something that looks a bit off, send a screenshot (along with error message, if applicable) to pannotia (at) chimericdream (dot) com. Since the whole thing is generated on refresh, it'll be fairly hard for me to duplicate the exact circumstances of every error, but I should be able to track down things with error messages.

There's no real style attached to it, so it currently is just a very simple layout. I plan to add the Magic Item Compendium treasure gen rules as well as a variant gen method that I've made.

So, without further adieu, here's the link.

Last edited:

meomwt

First Post
First comment would be, can you add in a 50% Standard Treasure line, for those miserly DM's out there (who's pointing at me?) who don't like to shower their players with goodies. :]

Is it also possible to add a line which calculates the total value of the trasure generated easily? I'd understand if the numbers are actually text strings and can't be manipulated in that way.

Other than that, it seems to work OK so far. I don't have the MIC so have confined my tests to the DMG, but those I've tried have come out OK.

ChimericDream

First Post
meomwt said:
First comment would be, can you add in a 50% Standard Treasure line, for those miserly DM's out there (who's pointing at me?) who don't like to shower their players with goodies. :]

Is it also possible to add a line which calculates the total value of the trasure generated easily? I'd understand if the numbers are actually text strings and can't be manipulated in that way.

Other than that, it seems to work OK so far. I don't have the MIC so have confined my tests to the DMG, but those I've tried have come out OK.
Unfortunately, I can't do it that way right now. As you guessed, all the gold values (or at least most of them) are text strings. I've actually already started thinking of another way to do it that could make it simpler to go with the route you're suggesting.

Also, I thought about adding in a 50% standard option, but that also can't really be done easily the way it's currently set up. For the double, triple, etc options, the script basically loops back through additional times. However, as I'm typing this, I've thought of a couple different ways to implement it, so expect an announcement at some point that I've added in a 50% standard option.

Thanks for the comments, and keep em' coming!

Vascant

Wanderer of the Underdark
Found a bug, looks like just a spelling issue

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01f4'

Variable is undefined: 'DMG_DoGaneEnemy'

/dnd/TGen/DMG_weaponlists.asp, line 601

Vascant

Wanderer of the Underdark
Also.. save to assume this is straight from the source.. as in random X will always be a "large well-done wool tapestry"

When I seen the MIC version it got me thinking and I started creating one of these type of generators for myself as well. Though rather then just a single entry for "large well-done wool tapestry", what it does is resolve what the qualifiers are for a tapestry and modify the price based on them.

That being said, there are perhaps a million ways to do this and each way fits the flavor of different people. Are you going to raise the CR currently handled (Think at the moment it is 20) so it can be used for dragons and such?

TheLe

First Post
muzick said:
It's still in beta, but the full DMG side should be up and running. I'd like to see if the friendly folks here can help me find bugs with it. If you find something that looks a bit off, send a screenshot (along with error message, if applicable) to pannotia (at) chimericdream (dot) com. Since the whole thing is generated on refresh, it'll be fairly hard for me to duplicate the exact circumstances of every error, but I should be able to track down things with error messages.

There's no real style attached to it, so it currently is just a very simple layout. I plan to add the Magic Item Compendium treasure gen rules as well as a variant gen method that I've made.

So, without further adieu, here's the link.

Looks good! It's always great to find a fellow ASP coder out there.

Keep up the good work. Maybe we can collaborate on a web project in the future!

`Le

ChimericDream

First Post
Thanks for all of the comments (and compliments ;)). I do intend (once this is up and running) to expand the challenge ratings beyond 20, possibly as far out as CR 40 for high epic campaigns. However, after about CR 30, the tables start to break down pretty quickly.

As for the art objects and whatnot, I do actually intend to expand on that list eventually. I agree that there should be a lot more variation on art objects, and my plan is to incorporate what Vascant said (price modifiers based on quality and whatnot) as well as some of the art objects from the WotC thread about "pimping" your BBEG's crib (don't have the exact link handy, but it's a great reference).

I'll post back here when I have more of the MIC tables up and running.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads