• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Web vs Insubstantial

Dwarmaj

First Post
Can an undead creature with the insubstantial and phasing abilities be immobilized by the Web spell?

The creatures do not have immunity to the "immobilized" state, but they do have the ability to move through difficult terrain and phase through objects.

Are the webs physically restraining them?

Thoughts...

Rechan

Adventurer
If they were just insubstantial, I'd say yes, they can be effected.

Because they have phasing, I'd say no.

... Hmm.

Alternatively, here is how I think I'd handle it, if it came up in-game. They can be immobilized by the initial attack from the burst. But if, say, they are not in the initial burst when the power is used, then they can move through it unhindered.

DracoSuave

First Post
If it were some hindering terrain, yes.

If it were a web created from the fabric of magic? No. It's magic. Insubstantial and phasing are not immunities to attack or weapons, so they -are- still affected by objects. Phasing just means they ignore terrain.

Starfox

Hero
Alternatively, here is how I think I'd handle it, if it came up in-game. They can be immobilized by the initial attack from the burst. But if, say, they are not in the initial burst when the power is used, then they can move through it unhindered.

I think this is how it would work out. Except I also think the could be immobilized in they ended a turn in the web.

ravenheart

Explorer
While we're discussing phasing...

Slightly off-topic: How would you interpret a situation like this?

1. Square A and Square B share a corner. A small pillar occupies this corner, granting cover to attacks between these two squares and treating movement through the corner as difficult terrain.

2. A PC, in square A, is subject to a melee attack by a monster (which is both insubstantial and has the phasing quality) in square B.

3. Does the PC have cover against the monster's attack?

This occured in our game tonight, I, as the coldhearted Dm I am, interpreted it in the favour of the monster, as it seemed logical to both me and my players. I might be wrong, but then again I might have misread the rules (referring to DMG p. 65).

MarkB

Legend
Slightly off-topic: How would you interpret a situation like this?

1. Square A and Square B share a corner. A small pillar occupies this corner, granting cover to attacks between these two squares and treating movement through the corner as difficult terrain.

2. A PC, in square A, is subject to a melee attack by a monster (which is both insubstantial and has the phasing quality) in square B.

3. Does the PC have cover against the monster's attack?

Yes. Phasing only allows the creature to ignore solid objects for purposes of movement, not at any other time.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads