• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Website With You guys info

TheUber

First Post
Hey, if I make a website filled with all the various prestige classes, races, spells, feats, and so forth that all you people post on this forum. Is that ok with the general public(by which I mean whoever is posting all this stuff)?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Not my stuff. I have a web site for all of it, and the versions here are either "prototypes" or bad, rejected ideas. Not only that, but none of my stuff is yet OGC... we'll know when it's all 3.5e compatible, and I decide if I'm going to try to publish my setting.

However, if you wanted to link to my web site, feel free: even though my stuff isn't OGC, people should feel very free to steal the juicy bits (or the crunchy bits) for their home games.

In general, you're going to have to get permission from each author. Since that's probably going to be a pain in the butt, instead I suggest that you create some sort of "Open Submission" mechanism, and market your site as an OGC clearing house -- thus, make the authors come to you.

-- Nifft

TheUber

First Post
Mistake

Ok guys I have made a mistake, I have already made the website, with hordes of stolen information from this forum. I didn't even think about the fact that some people might not want their stuff taken and put on a site. One of my friends clued me in to my mistake. I didn't even give anyone credit for anything. here is the website url:
http://www.Uberddragons.cjb.net
So you guys can go their and click the submit button, or the e-mail me button, and let me know if you see something that is yours that you want me to take down, or if you want to take credit for it and let me leave it up. I will take anything people haven't taken credit for down in a couple of days.
If the button doesn't work, my email is ssmitty@thevortex.com

Last edited:

Michael Morris

First Post
Nifft said:
Not my stuff. I have a web site for all of it, and the versions here are either "prototypes" or bad, rejected ideas. Not only that, but none of my stuff is yet OGC... we'll know when it's all 3.5e compatible, and I decide if I'm going to try to publish my setting.

However, if you wanted to link to my web site, feel free: even though my stuff isn't OGC, people should feel very free to steal the juicy bits (or the crunchy bits) for their home games.

In general, you're going to have to get permission from each author. Since that's probably going to be a pain in the butt, instead I suggest that you create some sort of "Open Submission" mechanism, and market your site as an OGC clearing house -- thus, make the authors come to you.

-- Nifft

d20 game mechanics posted anywhere on this site are immediately subject to the OGL Nifft. Anything posted anywhere that uses the OGL is open content. Any derived materials (like spells) are OGL and you cannot make them "closed" content.

IANAL

Michael Morris

First Post
TheUber said:
Hey, if I make a website filled with all the various prestige classes, races, spells, feats, and so forth that all you people post on this forum. Is that ok with the general public(by which I mean whoever is posting all this stuff)?

If you do so, you must include the OGL (or a link to it) on the site. You must cite the copyright holder of each and every item you copy - usually with the item copied. You'd still be advised to get permission first, because while you are free to copy the mechanics under the OGL you cannot copy over flavor elements or commentary regarding the items. Not only that, but mass copying will not make you very popular here. Most (if not all) of the folks on this board maintain their own websites with their materials and use this forumn as a sounding board for ideas that aren't completely cooked.

Michael Morris

First Post
TheUber said:
Ok guys I have made a mistake, I have already made the website, with hordes of stolen information from this forum. I didn't even think about the fact that some people might not want their stuff taken and put on a site. One of my friends clued me in to my mistake. I didn't even give anyone credit for anything. here is the website url:
http://www.Uberddragons.cjb.net
[/email]

That title isn't kosher. The term "Dungeons & Dragons" is a trademark of Wizards of the Coast and cannot be used except as provided for in the d20 STL. It cannot be in the title of a site or product.

I personally don't mind my stuff being used. Just credit the Peddler of Death, Death Magus, and (Heir to the) Dark Majesty to Sollir Furryfoot/Stirge, and i'll be happy :)

kreynolds

First Post
TheUber said:
So you guys can go their and click the submit button, or the e-mail me button, and let me know if you see something that is yours that you want me to take down, or if you want to take credit for it and let me leave it up.

I've got a better idea. Instead of me doing the work (looking around your website for my stuff) for your mistake, how about you just remove all the content and start the process over in an acceptable manner by asking first.

This isn't personal, but this kind of thing really burns me.

Remove ads