• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weekend of horror

Jack99

Adventurer
This weekend, the 7 of us are going away on our annual DnD weekend. 1 summer house, 1 DM, 6 players, no wives, no children.

Plan is to play as much as we can from Friday evening to Sunday. Which is quite a lot more than we usually play in a week.

Anyway, the players are heading to a haunted island in order to receive an ancient draconic tome, that may or may not give them a clue on how to survive the curse they have unleashed. The Island itself is sentient, and has over the years corrupted every single living creature on it. So undeads of all sizes and shapes are aplenty.

But, I want to more than just throw nasty undead buggers at my players, I want to freak them out. However, time is catching up with me, and I am struggling to get all the encounters polished up in time.

So, I figured that maybe some of my fellow ENWorlders could lend me a hand. What I am looking for is non-combat events to happen during their stay, mostly at night. Non-combat encounters that will scare the **** out of them and make them want to turn around and run as far away as possible.

Basically I am looking for inspiration: What kind of illusions/mind-tricks would a CE sentient Island that thrives on fear and despair projects into the hearts and mind of a group of rugged adventurers?

If anyone feels inspired to give a hand, thanks in advance

Rackhir

Explorer
Shilsen had a thing he used on the players in his other Eberron campaign. IIRC, they were in the Mournlands and they had nightmares about these children. When they woke up after a bit they noticed that their shadows were now those of the children they'd dreamed about and they were doing childrenish things independent of what the characters were doing. He had a more detailed write up of exactly what he did in a thread similar to this about freaking out your players or something to that effect. Might prove to be a useful thread to track down. You'll have to go back a number of months at least though.

Snifferdoo

First Post
This is so weird, I'm doing the exact same thing this weekend. I'm hangout with my friends in a cabin, away from the wives and kids and just gaming all weekend for our annual get together.

Anyway, recently I used a bunch of the ideas from Hereos of Horror "Creepy Effects" pages 8-10. I had a swarm of spiders wake up someone in the middle of the night. I told another person they felt something with sharp claws crawling around inside their armor, so they had to take off their armor to check, and there was nothing there. I had the water in their water skins turn to blood. They heard a small child crying in the distance and then it was suddenly cut off. I had random people make Will saves every now and again and then just shake my head and tell them they didn't notice anything regardless of what their actual saving throw was. Tell them they smell blood and it grows stronger if they head back from the direction they just came from. When one of the players got up in the morning they found blood on their sword and tracks leading away and back to camp from where they had been sleeping. Although they find nothing if they investigate. I also had dead creatures disappear when the heroes looked away making them wonder if they will see them later.

I hope that helps some. Have a fun weekend. :)

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
I think I can help you out here. I will post more when I get back from work, but what would be useful to know is just how hard you are willing to push this? ie: At what point will something go beyond creepy / scary for your game, and simply become uncomfortable / poor taste / offensive?

As a starter, there are two books I suggest you get your hands on. One would be the Book of Vile Darkness. The BoVD has some pretty good prestige classes you can apply to a villain to make it creepy / scary, and can tie in nicely to undead. Throw in a few evil cultist types using some of the spells and you can unnerve your players by hitting them with unusual and nasty spells that they wont immediately recognize. Add in some of the unusual diseases, and the Corrupt / Vile Damage, and you ought to be golden.

The other is a copy of the D20 Cthulhu book. This book has some great monsters in it which are generally compatible with d20 rules. If you can expand from going hard on undead and throw in some abberations, I am sure you can scare your players with a Shoggoth (though I suggest you run most of the monsters in that book as being obvious 'run away' encounters.

From there, it is just a matter of touching on some common phobias and fears in the non combat stuff.

END COMMUNICATION

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
Mist

Mist and fog and even rain can increase the spooky feeling, and distorts sight and sound, making combat or travel much more difficult. It is not unlikely that a sentient Island would have weather control ability, and unique weather phenomenon.There are some special mists suggestions in the Cold Marshes adventure in Dragon 121.

Here's the basics with some small modifications.
Rain: Spot and search checks -4. If thunderstorm Spot , Listen, Search, Survival and many other skills (climb, ride, etc) can be reduced as much as -8.
If characters remain exposed to weather or wet for protracted period, chance of hypothermia and contracting diseases increase.

Ground Fog: 1ft layer of thick fog. overland movement cut 1/2. Anything beyond a single move action must save DC 10 Ref or balance check (you can make the DC higher based on undelying terrain) to avoid falling prone.

Thick Fog: visibility is 5 ft.

Chilling Mist: thick fog that requires a save every 10 minutes against hypothermia for any unprotected character. (temperature is 0 F)
Hypothermia: DC 15 +1 per previous check (fort resists)
1 failed save mild 1d6 nonlethatl plus fatigue
2nd failed save moderate- another 1d6 plus exhaustion
3rd failed save severe - another 1d6 plus individual is considered disabled.

Vampiric Mist: Light mist reduces visibility to 100ft. every hour 25% chance that Thick fog of vampiric mist rolls over the characters. The mist does 1 str damage per round and last 1d4 rounds (mist turns red). DC 14 fort. Gust of Wind and similar spells disperse the mist, mist follows characters, diving underwater prevents draining.

Chocking Fog: Horribly smelling light mist. DC 14 every hour or become sickened for one hour.

Festivus

First Post
Paizo's Pathfinder #2 has some stuff on hauntings, check their blogs and search their forums for "Haunt". I can't get into details because my friend now wants to run this adventure path so I am trying hard to forget all I know about it.

Paizo's Blog said:
How to Stage a Haunt
Monday, October 29, 2007

With Halloween coming up, we thought it a good idea to look back to the Foxglove Manor chapter of Pathfinder #2 (which, incidentally, would work extremely well as a standalone haunted house romp for All Hallows' Eve) and explain a bit more about one of the spooky innovations introduced there.

In "The Skinsaw Murders," we present a new way to handle an old classic—haunts. The mechanic for haunts is cool because it allows us to present really atmospheric encounters in a way that combines crunchy game play and creepy flavor. It also allows for a lot of flexibility in ways that classic haunted house monsters like ghosts don't really work. You want a room with walls that bleed? A haunt can do that. With a ghost, it's a little trickier.

You can expect haunts to show up now and then in Pathfinder—when they do, we'll reprint the basic rules so you don't need to always have a copy of Pathfinder #2 on hand. But one thing became clear as I started reading messageboard posts about "The Skinsaw Murders": what's missing is a section that talks about how haunts play out in the game. I posted the rest of this blog post on the messageboard, but I think it's important enough to "graduate" into the blog, so here it is! (WARNING: A small spoiler for "The Skinsaw Murders" is built into the rest of this post!)

The best analogy for a haunt is a trap. Treat them in play as traps, but traps that are evil and freaky and have a malevolent guiding intelligence behind them.

Take the first trap, the Burning Manticore, as an example. The PCs may smell burning hair the first time they pass through the room. The second time, the haunt manifests. Ask the PC who's haunted by burning to make a Spot check. If he fails the DC 20 check, the haunt manifests, makes its attack on him, and if he's hit he makes a Reflex save to avoid catching on fire. If he catches on fire, to his friends it looks like he just spontaneously combusts—he's the only one who can see the haunt, remember. Once the haunt's done its thing, that's it. It's done for a day; it can't be triggered again for 24 hours.

If the haunted PC makes that DC 20 Spot check, have him roll Initiative. Describe to him the image of the manticore lurching to life, its face shifting and its fur igniting, but don't have the haunt do its thing until initiative count 10. If the PC alerts his friends that something's going on, they get to roll Initiative checks as well. Anyone who goes before 10 gets to do something about the haunt (but remember, only the haunted character can SEE what's going on). This includes attempts to turn undead, to run out of the room, to cast resist elements (fire) on the haunted character, and so on. At initiative count 10, the haunt triggers (unless its target is gone, in which case it fades away and can't activate again for 24 hours) and does its thing, then fades away.

James Jacobs
Editor-in-Chief, Pathfinder

Humanaut

First Post
I also like noises. In an old game in 2e days, our DM scared the heck outta us by giving his homebrew monster (an unknown there!) a creepy noise.. and it echoed around as we explored an old tomb.. didn't get to see if for awhile, but we had heard rumors...

In the Silent Hill games, the Triangle Hat Head dude had his large sword drag'n... all of a sudden you heard it, you knew he was near.. but where!

Good to hear i'm not the only one who does this! My highschool buds and i get together every two years for a "Geekfest" that's one week of DnD all day, some videos/games to wind down. No wives, no kids. Oh, and "some" beer. Ha ha!

Rechan

Adventurer
Here is about seven pages of an ENworld thread about creepy/horror, most of which has nothing to do with combat.

Among other things: Instead of the wind howling, have it weep or give warning. Children laughing in the woods, far off. Even if it's a cloudless day, the sunlight does not touch the ground. The only sign of wildlife are animals that are normal except for one aspect - birds of one kind just sitting in trees, watching the PCs. A rabbit that just hops out of the bushes - but its eyes are mirrored shards. Their shadows move independent of their actions (Or, their shadows do not move at all). Have one place, like a room, or a single grove of trees, that is utterly normal and has no sinister qualities at all, as if it was untouched by everything going on around it. If a PC goes scouting, or has guard duty, take him into another room and explain what happens, rather than tell him at the table. Periodically ask them for their spot check modifiers, or their will save; roll dice behind your screen, but say nothing.

Most Important of All: 1) If you're going to show something, do so at the end. Never let them know what they're dealing with until they're right on top of it. 2) Explain nothing. Give no "This is why this is happening". Give them no context, no matter how hard they search. Understanding, learning the reason, takes the scare away.

Sidenote: If you want to throw non-undead combat encounters, look for things like Plants and Oozes. Swarms of animals (birds are great). Denizens of Dread (3.5 Ravenloft monster book) has a whole section on plants. Fey are also another great option - twisted, fear-thriving, violent fey. I also love imps (Suggestion and invisibility are perfect ways to sow dissent.)

Finally, make sure that there are no atmospheric comforts or distractions. Remove all phones/cell phones from the gaming room. Cover the windows. Turn out the lights in the rest of the house, so it's just that room to the bathroom. Limit breaks and Out of Character chatter. So they are totally immersed in the game. If you allow distractions or ways to be reminded they're safe and sound inside a house with their friends, then the headspace for horror gets reduced.

Last edited:

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
First, let me define some terms that i will use for the rest of my post.

There are a few keys to being able to scare the crap out of your someone through fiction, regardless of context (game, film, book).

First is Horror. As was once described in a Ravenloft setting book, Horror is a reaction to something that while it poses no danger to you, still causes a scary reaction. Finding a dead body is a good example of this. It is not going to get up and attack you (in real life anyway), but your probably not going to be calm about being near a corpse.

Next is Terror. Terror is best described as the feeling that something specific is out to get you. A fear of 'something' around a corner that you cannot see but can hear is terror. Movies that manage to scare you without showing you anything for long periods of time work on this level.

Aside from the two distinct kinds of fear, there are two modifying elements, intensity and tension.

Intensity is self explanitory. Low intensity is easier to acheive than high intensity. Tension is the second. Tension in this context refers to how long you sustain a feeling of Horror or Terror. The more tension you can bulid, the bigger the payoff when you release it. Many horror movies will have a scene where someone hears a noise, and the music will build up as they approach the closet, and discover their cat. Or they will build up and release the tension with a big "Boo" moment which in movies is usually a loud noice followed by something of note happening.

Now, your scenario is a cursed island that corrupts the things on the island. That can be worked with pretty decently.

If you want to build a sense of Horror, you need to establish early on how things on the island are often just wrong in some way. The easiest way to do that is to describe things that simply 'should not be'.

Encounter 1, a battle site.

For starters, the players ought to come upon the site of a battle of some sort. There should be a couple of bodies of the losers, and they should be in very bad shape. Large gaping wounds, bits of people strewn about that require some sorting out. There ought to be signs that there was something large and powerful near the fight. Broken trees, deep foot prints, and weapons and armour that are twisted into unusable shapes. The prints should be unidentifiable. And the bodies after some examination should be your players.

To make this work, describe the bodies of the players in increasing detail as they make skill and search checks. The gear that is found should be broken and unusable, but recognizable as the same kind of gear that the players have. When the players bust out the divinations, note the following:

- Detect Evil should be off the scale
- Divinations will indicate that these are the bodies of the players
- Speak with Dead should result in nothing but screaming from the deceased
- The wounds on the players should be described in graphic detail. Crawling with maggots, covered in strange ooze, and smell like diseased filth
- Inflicting damage on the body parts should cause harm to the corresponding player.

Encounter 2: The settlement

The players should find a medium sized town, and they should find it around mid day. Everything should be in perfectly working order, and in good repair. It should be very clean, and well maintained. Be sure to mention the lovely flower garden and marvelous fountains. There should be white picket fences, hedge sculptures, reasonably fresh paint, and a generally cheerful atmosphere. There should also, under no circumstances be any living thing in the town. Also no undead or monsters. The town is just completely empty. If they search, let them find all sorts of valuables. Be sure to put in a modest magic shop with some decent goodies. Any given shop ought to have plenty of gold. In the homes and in the market place, and food items to be found should be ripe, wholesome, and nourishing. Any meat should be fresh. There will be garbage, but it will be in the expected places and not particularly noxious or suspcious. Under no circumstances should they find any sign that there is anything wrong with the town other than it being completely empty.

If your players are at all sane, the fact that they can loot the town of useful items and money with impunity should make them extraordinarily suspicious. If someone casts a detect evil, it should be blinding.

If they spend the night in the town, feel free to mess with them. I suggest that sometime late in the evening the players end up hearing the sound of every person in the town screaming in pain, agony, and horror until sunrise. The screaming ought to be audible even in a silence spell, making it impossible to sleep. If they stay a 2nd night, just run with it, amping it up.

I also suggest that once the screaming starts, that they find themselves unable to leave the town. Travel in any direction just lets them see more and more of an unending town.

3) NPC Night Terrors
If the players have any henchmen with them, after the first night, the henchmen should be found to have clawed their own eyes out in their sleep, and bitten off and swallowed their own tongue. Do not under any circumstances explain why this happened.

4) Tension builders
Toss in any of these one off elements to help build tension.
- When a player asks to make a listen check, perform the check as normal, but also tell him that he notices his ears are bleeding. No damage, no explanation.
- At some random point, tell the players that something nearby smells like many recently dead but 'ripe' corpses. Let them search, and find nothing. The smell never goes away
- When the players bed down for the night, tell some of them that they wake up in water. Let them spend a few rounds making Fort saves, and look up the drowning rules. Let them make swim checks and tell them there is no land in sight for a while. After either 1 person fails and drowns, or 1 hour worth of checks, or someone disbelieves and makes a DC XX will save (pick the number to be difficult, but allow infinite retries) they wake up in their bed rolls. They are also wet, and have perhaps taken some ability damage. No restful sleep that night.
- If protection from Evil is ever cast, have the protected character illuminated in a dazzling spray of sparks for the duration.
-- If you go with a Cthulhu-esque cosmic horror theme, consider having protection from evil do nothing, and have protection from Chaos be required instead. Allow a Spellcraft or Knowledge(Religion) or Knowledge(Arcana) to have the players discover this after Protection from Evil fails the first time. The first failure should be dramatic.

5) Bizzarre combat
- Upon any suitable gruesome sight or stench, have them roll DC XX fortitude Saves. Just pick a number that the best fort save only succeeds on an 18 or better. Those who fail start to vomit. What they vomit up are either Insect swarms or oozes. They start the combat Nauseated until they succeed a DC YY Fort save (give the worst save a chance to succeed on a 14 or 16 or so).

- Have a half mad 'survivor' run up to the players and beg to be killed. Go for a lvl 2 commoner of middle age, or even a small child. The opponent cannot be subdued by sleep or held or subdual damage. Make it an obvious non threat, and try to force the players to kill it. If they do not kill the opponent, at the first meal opportunity, have him commit suicide in some gruesome fashion, like cutting out his own small intestine and strangling himself. The next day, have them fight the dead persons ghost, still insisting on being killed.

- If a cleric tries to use a Turn undead, have him suffer the effects of his own turning as he is enveloped in a powerful wave of negative energy. If he would destroy himself on his own turning attempt, just drop him to as many low hit points as you care to.

That is all for now, until you give me an idea of what might be considered pushing things too far in your game.

END COMMUNICATION

Jack99

Adventurer
Rackhir said:
Shilsen had a thing he used on the players in his other Eberron campaign. IIRC, they were in the Mournlands and they had nightmares about these children. When they woke up after a bit they noticed that their shadows were now those of the children they'd dreamed about and they were doing childrenish things independent of what the characters were doing. He had a more detailed write up of exactly what he did in a thread similar to this about freaking out your players or something to that effect. Might prove to be a useful thread to track down. You'll have to go back a number of months at least though.

I tried to search for it, but can't find it. If anyone has a link or maybe a good idea on keywords to search for (tried shadow and children to no avail) then I am all ears, 'cause it sounds great.

EDIT: Found it, it was in the thread linked by Rechan

Snifferdoo said:
This is so weird, I'm doing the exact same thing this weekend. I'm hangout with my friends in a cabin, away from the wives and kids and just gaming all weekend for our annual get together.

Anyway, recently I used a bunch of the ideas from Hereos of Horror "Creepy Effects" pages 8-10. I had a swarm of spiders wake up someone in the middle of the night. I told another person they felt something with sharp claws crawling around inside their armor, so they had to take off their armor to check, and there was nothing there. I had the water in their water skins turn to blood. They heard a small child crying in the distance and then it was suddenly cut off. I had random people make Will saves every now and again and then just shake my head and tell them they didn't notice anything regardless of what their actual saving throw was. Tell them they smell blood and it grows stronger if they head back from the direction they just came from. When one of the players got up in the morning they found blood on their sword and tracks leading away and back to camp from where they had been sleeping. Although they find nothing if they investigate. I also had dead creatures disappear when the heroes looked away making them wonder if they will see them later.

I hope that helps some. Have a fun weekend.

Great. Had completely forgotten about those, don't know why I didn't start with HoH - I must be getting senile.

Festivus said:
Paizo's Pathfinder #2 has some stuff on hauntings, check their blogs and search their forums for "Haunt". I can't get into details because my friend now wants to run this adventure path so I am trying hard to forget all I know about it.

Yeah I subscribe, unfortunately it takes forever for Paizo's stuff to reach my country, so nr2 isn't yet here :(

Lord Zardoz said:
That is all for now, until you give me an idea of what might be considered pushing things too far in your game.

Honestly, short of pulling out a live goat and sacrificing it on the gaming table, I don't think there is such a thing as too far. The awesome suggestions you have come up with a certainly not near what my players and myself can handle. What I mean is that it might spook them, but if you have ideas that push it further, it won't be a problem.

To the rest of you, thanks for some awesome suggestions, and thanks for the link Rechan, it has a lot of great ideas in it as well

Last edited:

Remove ads