• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Weenie List" of Ubiquitous & Popular Magic Items

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Azlan,

While I do genuinely find your list amusing, I think pointing out "+1" items as too cheap is missing the mark.

The designers intended some items to be cheap. Items increase in cost roughly by the square of their power. That's why +2 is four times as pricey as +1.

At some point in a PCs career, perhaps as early as 6th or 7th level, they have all the cheap items that their item slots can carry. At that point they have to start tossing cheap items and investing in expensive items. It is really no big deal.

It also means that a DM with a party packed with +3 items can routinely toss NPCs with +2 and +1 items at them without handing over too much wealth. (If items had value linear with power, I can defeat one such NPC and start thinking about cashing in for +5 items. Yeek!)

hong

WotC's bitch
kreynolds said:

But, please, understand that some of the backlash you receive probably has to do with your posturing, oh, and it might help to look at it as a kind of initiation or something.

"That sharp, stabbing pain? Think of it as character building."

Acmite

First Post
Azlan said:

You'd allow a total +40 Jump bonus (and double movement rate), for the price of 4,500 gps? Wow.

Please read the "Behind the Curtain: Stacking Bonuses" section on page 177 of the DM's Guide. Even if the text given for the Ring of Jumping and the Boots of Striding & Springing does not explicity disallow their bonuses from stacking (assuming you think that having the Jump spell as a prerequisite for crafting either of these two items doesn't necessarily disallow them from stacking), a DM should still rule that they cannot stack, if only to maintain game balance, consistency and logic, and to encourage good play.

I find it hard to believe that someone who has clearly demonstrated that they do not understand the d20 system has the knowledge base fully comprehend the ramifications and balance issues inherent in allowing unnamed bonuses to stack.

Do you have any evidence to back up your claim that allowing a Ring of Jumping and Boots of S&S to stack would damage "balance, consistancy, and logic" in a D&D campaign while discouraging "good play"?

**Edit Log: Added spaces to ease reading**

Last edited:

ConcreteBuddha

First Post
+40 to Jump checks is not overpowering at all. In fact, it's outdated the day the wizard hits 5th level. The cost for that is about in line at 8,000gp, even with the increased jumping capability because of the extra movement and the extra movement itself. (6000 for Boots of SS and 2000 for the R of Jumping)

In fact, it could be +100 to jump checks and I wouldn't care. Not a lot of mobility while jumping... ;)

Azlan

First Post
Acmite said:
I find it hard to believe that someone who has clearly demonstrated that they do not understand the d20 system has the knowledge base fully comprehend the ramifications and balance issues inherent in allowing unnamed bonuses to stack.

Just because I overlooked one technicality about building magic weapons, you say I have clearly demonstrated that I do not understand the d20 system?! :(

Cripes. You people are too much.

Well, Acmite, your sentence has errors in wording and punctuation; minor errors, yes, but significant ones. (In my book, at least.) You have clearly demonstrated that you do not understand the english language. And since this is an english-speaking forum, I totally disqualify your viewpoint. ;)

Last edited:

Azlan

First Post
ConcreteBuddha said:
+40 to Jump checks is not overpowering at all. In fact, it's outdated the day the wizard hits 5th level.

Why? Because that's when a wizard gets his first 3rd spell, and thus he can pick Fly?

What about the fact that the the boots and ring can be used an unlimited number of times per day, whereas the wizard has to expend a 3rd level spell every time he wishes to fly?

And what if the wearer isn't even a wizard?

Last edited:

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
James McMurray said:
The Haversack (as a move-equivelent) is already a fairly standard piece of equipment. Change it to a free action and it becomes silly. In fact, the gloves' only benefit would be the stasis effect.

Actually, a big benefit of the gloves is that you can put pointy, sharp things (like swords) in them. The parts of a Haversack are equivalent to Bags of Holding. If you put an unsheathed sword into one of those, it is going to poke a hole in it and you'll lose all of the contents.

I agree though that the Haversack is too cheap for a Free Action retrieval. If your players get out of hand with them, have a goblin or two make a sunder attack against the pack. Again, one cut or poke and all of the contents are gone forever.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads