• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

weight loss, diet, and fitness thread

Harmon said:
Presently I have stopped taking my walks. Yoga has fallen by the way side.

I have stuck to my leg lifts, holding a 10 lbs medicine ball between my ankles, lift front a tap on the floor to straight up in the air then back down as a ten count. I am up to five sets of ten per day.

Child care (24/7 with a two year old), and depression are the two things that are holding me at odds with my weight issues (I have lost 18 lbs sense last December). I have stopped eating junk food (did that a couple years ago), that helped, but for me its about getting out (which I can't seem to do).

Don't get down. 18 pounds is a great loss. I've managed about 5 pounds since December, and I walk to and from work.

Maybe you can find a way to integrate your responsibilities with a bit of exercise. Take the two year old with you on a walk, or . . . I dunno, how much does he weigh? You could spin him around a lot. The kid has fun, and you get a work out. :)

Either way, you've already done pretty durned well.

Nilhgualcm Leahcim said:
I have been accused many times of having taken "the easy way out" instead of working it off. I can assure those naysayers that this is the furthest thing from easy for me. I am keeping the weight off, I am attending my counseling, and I am keeping more active now than I ever have. The surgery helped me a lot, and I credit it for being one of the things that kept me around to recently welcome my fourth baby into the famly :) . This has been a great thread. I appreciate reading about everyone else's similar struggles. Thanks for letting me rant.

Congrats. I think when you've got 200 pounds to lose, what's best and fastest for improving your health definitely wins out over the 'moral victory' of trying to do it all yourself.

Good luck with your fitness. Have you talked to a physical trainer? It might be good to have someone figure out a safe, less-painful exercise regimen for you, considering your joint pain.

Agamon

Adventurer
A question about my situation

Okay, I posted about my recent weight loss on another, less mature board and got replies that made me surly. So I present it here to ask if what I've done is "unhealthy".

I had a birthday in March. I don't usually make a big deal of them, but a lot of friends and family did this year, so I did too. I had noticed in some recent pictures thta I was looking a lot more doughy than usual. Weighing myself, I realized I had topped 305 lbs (I'm 5'11"). I've been at least a little overweight since college, but that's nuts.

So, the day before my actual birthday (but after the celebration, whether that's good or bad, not sure), I decided to make some lifestyle changes to be healthier. Not a diet, but a change to healthier eating. Not an exercise regimen, but a commitment to be more active.

I didn't know what to expect with weight loss, and it didn't matter. If I ate better and was more active, it would come. Well, 4 weeks later, my weight was 235 lbs. Kinda blew me away, I didn't expect anything so dramatic.

So, the question: too much, too fast? I'm being told that I've screwed my metabolism, that losing that much weight so quickly is bad for me, not to mention that I'm obviously lying because doing that is next to impossible.

All I did was decrease my calories (to 1500-1800, increasing that for more active days), space out my eating over the day rather than concentrate it at mealtimes, eat a lot more fruits and veggies and a lot less fat and sugar. Stayed away from carbs if I wasn't planning on being active, loaded up on them if I was planning on expending a lot of energy. No gyms or jogging, just a bunch of walking, some sports (hockey and ultimate), and I just started swimming again (used to be a fish as a kid).

I've made a few changes, as I'm a big guy and I think some of that weight loss was muscle mass, so I eat a bit more, and a bit more protein. The last 3 weeks, I've averaged about 3 pounds a week...though I'm pretty proud of that, as I was on vacation for most of it, eating out every day except a couple.

So anyway, was this bad? I don't plan on going back to greasy foods once I hit some target weight, this has been so easy I'll keep doing for as long as I have the choice. But I've heard that losing more than 2-3 pounds a week is bad. I swear I didn't mean to! :D

GlassJaw

Hero
Agamon said:
So anyway, was this bad? I don't plan on going back to greasy foods once I hit some target weight, this has been so easy I'll keep doing for as long as I have the choice. But I've heard that losing more than 2-3 pounds a week is bad. I swear I didn't mean to! :D

I don't think I would worry just yet since it sounds like you've done everything the right way. I'm assuming you aren't skipping meals and stuff like that. The key with any "diet" (I hate the word diet) is to replace the bad stuff you were eating with good stuff. Again, it sounds like are doing that.

Don't worry too much about avoiding carbs altogether. You want to avoid the "bad" carbs, not all carbs. The bad carbs are refined sugars and "white" carbs: pasta, white bread, sugar/fructose, corn, and potatoes are the major offenders. But again, don't be afraid to eat these things once in a while, just don't make them the staple of your diet.

And the best advice I can give is add FIBER to your diet! Fiber is the absolute key to anyone interested in a healthy diet. It will absorb a lot of the fat in your body and remove it from your body. :) It's also really good for your heart and will lower your cholesterol. Good sources of fiber: apples with the skin, broccoli, beans. I also buy an all-natural fiber cereal as well (Kashi is good). Again, don't worry so much about the carbs when eating high-fiber foods.

As far as muscle mass goes, definitely try to add some light weight training with your cardio. You don't even have to do anything fancy, just some bicep curls, shoulder presses, push-ups, sit-ups, etc. Go for high reps with lower weights. Even 15-20 minutes a few times a week is huge.

It might not be a bad idea to make an appointment with your PCP just to keep him up-to-date on what you've been doing either.

Agamon

Adventurer
GlassJaw said:
I don't think I would worry just yet since it sounds like you've done everything the right way. I'm assuming you aren't skipping meals and stuff like that. The key with any "diet" (I hate the word diet) is to replace the bad stuff you were eating with good stuff. Again, it sounds like are doing that.

Right on both accounts. I just eat less at mealtimes and snack a bit more in between. No more chips or candy, fruit and veggies instead.

Don't worry too much about avoiding carbs altogether. You want to avoid the "bad" carbs, not all carbs. The bad carbs are refined sugars and "white" carbs: pasta, white bread, sugar/fructose, corn, and potatoes are the major offenders. But again, don't be afraid to eat these things once in a while, just don't make them the staple of your diet.

Haven't tried to eliminate carbs, just slow down on them. I used to comsume them like crazy (bread, pasta, sugar). But I do try to focus them to when I need the energy they supply. For example, I had a small pizza for dinner before ultimate yesterday. I drink a Gatorade on top of water during these forays, too.

And the best advice I can give is add FIBER to your diet! Fiber is the absolute key to anyone interested in a healthy diet. It will absorb a lot of the fat in your body and remove it from your body. :) It's also really good for your heart and will lower your cholesterol. Good sources of fiber: apples with the skin, broccoli, beans. I also buy an all-natural fiber cereal as well (Kashi is good). Again, don't worry so much about the carbs when eating high-fiber foods.

Good to know, I've increased my fibre intake big time. Wasn't sure what it did for me, but I'd heard it was good. :)

As far as muscle mass goes, definitely try to add some light weight training with your cardio. You don't even have to do anything fancy, just some bicep curls, shoulder presses, push-ups, sit-ups, etc. Go for high reps with lower weights. Even 15-20 minutes a few times a week is huge.

Was doing this before vacation, then got away from it, as I've been pretty active, cardio-wise. But yeah, probably not a bad plan to go back to it. Every lunch I did some push-ups, crunches and curls while watching TV. Easy to start doing again.

It might not be a bad idea to make an appointment with your PCP just to keep him up-to-date on what you've been doing either.

Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it!

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
The time before last when I weighed myself I believe I was up to 245. I weighed myself over the weekend and I was 230.
I'm eating less (mostly because I'm not eating for comfort any more and because I'm feeling less hungry). Also I'm eating more healthy. I've been muching away on salads (can't get enough of 'em), yogurt and cereal. I'll ocassionally boil a pot of Spaghetti or eat a microwave dinner, but I have to admit, I'm feeling better and more energetic.

I've resolved to get myself down to 210 then I'll start taking exercise more seriously. Of course it would help if it weren't so dang hot here in Arizona.

The time before last when I weighed myself I believe I was up to 245. I weighed myself over the weekend and I was 230.
I'm eating less (mostly because I'm not eating for comfort any more and because I'm feeling less hungry). Also I'm eating more healthy. I've been muching away on salads (can't get enough of 'em), yogurt and cereal. I'll ocassionally boil a pot of Spaghetti or eat a microwave dinner, but I have to admit, I'm feeling better and more energetic.

I've resolved to get myself down to 210 then I'll start taking exercise more seriously. Of course it would help if it weren't so dang hot here in Arizona.
Weather is always a great excuse. "Oh, I had to cycle 8 km from my work place to get home, and it was raining/hot. I am totally wet (from rain or sweat) and don't want to do any more sports now...

Well, the last time I checked I was at 109 kg, IIRC. And today I recieved the second reminder of my fitness studio that I should visit them again soon... ;)

On the other hand, I have started jogging again... But it's still not regularly enough. And I got a new (good) bike and it's much more fun to get to work with it. (Suspension can make a big difference). I feel like I'm faster now, but that might just be my imagination. ;)

Don't wait. Not only will you loose weight faster if you start working out now, you also won't be weak as a kitten when you get where you want to be. Learn from my mistake. :)

I know the heat can be tough (it isn't as hot in Maine, but the 75-80% humidity is a killer), but if you exercise early in the morning or after the sun has set it is much more tolerable. Start with 30 minute walks and light weights 3 time a week. You don't need to spend a ton of money either - I bought a $120 bench and weight set at Wal-Mart and work out in my basement (cooler there too!).

Good luck!

Last edited:

GlassJaw

Hero
I know the heat can be tough (it isn't as hot in Maine, but the 75-80% humidity is a killer), but if you exercise early in the morning or after the sun has set it is much more tolerable. Start with 30 minute walks and light weights 3 time a week. You don't need to spend a ton of money either - I bought a $120 bench and weight set at Al-Mart and work out in my basement (cooler there too!).

Good advice. "It's hot out" is a lame excuse. Start out slow by just walking. Bring water with and keep yourself hydrated.

Even adding light weights a few times a week makes a HUGE difference.

Remove ads