• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Welcome to ENWorld 2

Michael Morris

First Post
I noticed the improvement. The change now has text (when made bigger) cause a scroll bar to appear so as to scroll further down.

I see this as a compromise, though in my opinion it would be much better if the box expanded around the text instead? . . . which seems to be how it works for all the posts in the forums. *shrug*

:rant: If Internet Explorer didn't absolutely :rant::rant::rant::rant: :rant::rant::rant: that's what I'd do. But unfortunately Suckernet Exploder can't display floating images in a floating div that contains a clear:both div for alignment purposes.

:rant: CSS is supposed to be clean - so why do CSS declarations read like an algorythm only Rube Goldberg would be proud of?? And don't get me started on cross-browser issues.

The solution I took was the fastest I could implement without starting over entirely and worked in all browsers, even Microsoft's all star PITA.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
The solution I took was the fastest I could implement without starting over entirely and worked in all browsers, even Microsoft's all star PITA.
Cool to see that you've tried things to get it working best. I hope some day to see you revisit it when you get time. I'm not a web designer at all, but I am curious what's happening where the forums handle the boxes around text well. Is it the multi-column nature of the main page?

joela

First Post
reviews & store

Still have mixed feelings on the new design. Any news on when we'll get reviews back and the store? I've switched directly to rpgnow & drivethrurpg to keep up to date on new products where I used to do so via enworld.

AlanDeSmet

First Post
On a far more minor issue: The 404 error page is a bit out of control. 828kB to see an error message? And it's decidedly surprising to see what looks like a normal page (the front page, as it happens), and begin scrolling around looking for what I was looking for, then have an error pop up on top. It seems too clever. It also means that once I close the error, I definitely don't want to bookmark what appears to be the front page, because the bookmark will lead to the error message each time. A small page that had a link to the front page would be less surprising.

Total thanks for adding the forum redirect!

I also saw the front page overflow problem were seeing, but it seems to be good now, so thanks! I will note that that I have a slightly unusual setup; my browser is configured to only render fonts at 12 point or larger; if you ask for a smaller size in CSS, it gets smacked to 12 point. I don't like doing it because it breaks a lot of layouts, but so many websites are using itty bitty fonts that cause me eye strain (I pity people with actual vision loss).

I also had weirdness where this very box where I'm typing text was black on dark grey. For a while I thought it was totally non-functional. But that also cleared up sometime in the last few days. It's possible it was wonkiness on my end, but I wanted to let you know as a data point.

Thanks, as always, for all the work!

fix the front page

The news page redesign is awful. What are you guys thinking? That type of site design went out the window with the new millenium. Having 15-20 little boxes, each with their own links and scroll bars, is an abyssmal way to present information. As others have said, I come to ENworld for the news, not the forums, and if the frontpage is going to be that much a pain in the ass to navigate, I'm going to go elsewhere.

GFrantsen

First Post
Yeah, it really sucks that I have to go to different web sites now to get the same info I used to get off of just one page.
REALLY sucks!

GFrantsen

First Post
C'ya. It's impossible to please everyone, and I've no incentive to please anyone who is insulting.

I'd like to know how you think that his post was insulting. Take a look around the web. NOBODY does web sites like this, especially not news sites. That's the entire point of a news site. It's supposed to give you the info in one place. He didn't insult you. He just said your site isn't very good anymore.

Listen, if your goal was to cut down on the number of people who use your site, you've probably succeeded.
If your goal was to make your site better, you failed miserably.

I'm sorry if you disagree. I happen to do web programming for a VERY large company for a living. If I designed something like this and presented it to the customer, my job would be in jeapardy.
That's not an insult to you. I'm sure you spent a lot of time on it. You probably love this site more than most of us. Maybe you're just to close to it.

I can't believe this is really your attitude. I used to have so much respect for this site and the people involved with it. If this is really all you can say to constructive criticism then fine. I'm sure you will get along just fine without me. I can get my news elsewhere.

Kind of a bummer tho. I've been coming to this site regularily since it started. I bet I talked this site up to at least 20 or 30 of my gaming friends. We used to start our weekly 3.5 games with a discussion about things we read, interviews, products, etc. that we heard about on his site.

Oh well. All good things must come to an end.

Michael Morris

First Post
I'd like to know how you think that his post was insulting. Take a look around the web. NOBODY does web sites like this, especially not news sites.

Oh really?

http://www.cnn.com
http://www.foxnews.com
http://www.abcnews.com

Let's try some newspapers shall we?

http://www.usatoday.com
http://www.newyorktimes.com

Not a single one of those sites prints entire articles on their front pages.

That's the entire point of a news site. It's supposed to give you the info in one place. He didn't insult you. He just said your site isn't very good anymore.

He specifically said it was "awful" which, where I come from is an insult. A mild one, but an insult all the same.

Listen, if your goal was to cut down on the number of people who use your site, you've probably succeeded.
If your goal was to make your site better, you failed miserably.

I'm sorry if you disagree. I happen to do web programming for a VERY large company for a living. If I designed something like this and presented it to the customer, my job would be in jeapardy.

Given your ignorance of the layouts of the websites of some of the largest news agencies in the world I happen to think you're blowing smoke. This is the internet, anyone can claim anything.

I can't believe this is really your attitude. I used to have so much respect for this site and the people involved with it. If this is really all you can say to constructive criticism then fine. I'm sure you will get along just fine without me. I can get my news elsewhere.

Constructive criticism would have something I could act on. Saying "it sucks", even in a euphemistic manner, isn't constructive. Don't pretend otherwise.

Kind of a bummer tho. I've been coming to this site regularily since it started. I bet I talked this site up to at least 20 or 30 of my gaming friends. We used to start our weekly 3.5 games with a discussion about things we read, interviews, products, etc. that we heard about on his site.

Oh well. All good things must come to an end.

Listen, it's too bad that you feel that way, but we no longer want the news page to amount to an RSS feed more or less. And in the past that's what it pretty much was. Occasionally there would be one article that would get all the front page but for the most part it was a bullet list. Part of the reason for this is when Eric started the site there was no such thing as RSS feeds, so a collection of links to useful tidbits was in itself useful. Now a days, not so much. So we've moved to an article format. It isn't perfect and it will be ironed out with time, but we aren't likely to go back to bulletted lists.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads