• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Welcome to the Halmae (updated 2/27/07)

Fajitas

Hold the Peppers
spyscribe said:
Thatch manages to find his voice. He turns to Dennis. “Um… if she’s not here, maybe we should, um, just be going?”

Dennis gives him a hearty slap on the back in return. “Nonsense! Don’t worry.”

The priestess reaches out a reassuring hand. Thatch swallows.
Just for the record here, folks, I'd like to be clear that I wasn't playing Dennis that evening. Like they say, you can lead a PC to a brothel, but you can't make him... um, you know.

No, the delicious part about this moment was that Dennis was being played by Thatch's player's then-girlfriend. And this was her first ever table-top game.

dpdx

Explorer
Fajitas said:
No, the delicious part about this moment was that Dennis was being played by Thatch's player's then-girlfriend. And this was her first ever table-top game.
Then-girlfriend? Sounds like a test...

spyscribe

First Post
Part the Eleventh
In which: the party interrogates the half of the city they did not speak to the day before

Reyu is, as usual, up at dawn. If there were a time to like the city, the early morning would be it. Most of the humans are still in their beds; those who are not hurry quickly about their business and do not bother a lone elf conducting her prayers.

Thatch and Lira barely make it downstairs before Mrs. Blackburn clears the breakfast dishes. Luckily for Thatch, Mrs. Blackburn’s daughter Tessa has held back “a little something” which she sets at his place, blushing. Luckily for Lira, Mrs. Blackburn makes excellent coffee.

Once everyone has eaten their fill, the group adjourns to the Temple of Kettenek to meet with Anvil. Knowing Jelliana’s name and sect affiliation is somewhat useful, but it provides little insight into where she can be found now.

“We should try to find out how she knew about our mission.”

“Well, she must have gotten that scroll from somewhere.”

“Well, it’s an arcane spell; she would have had to get someone else to scribe it for her, probably at the Mage’s Academy.”

“Think Edmund’s had any luck finding out who made it?”

Long silence.

“Well, I’m not going to ask him.”

“Amelia’s in Professor Alexandra’s class, maybe she knows someone who might be selling scrolls on the side to make a little extra money.”

It seems worth a shot, and so Anvil sends an acolyte to pull the young mage out of class.

Amelia is less than thrilled to be called away from her studies and also understandably reluctant to finger any of her classmates. After reassurances that the party does not suspect anyone of deliberate misconduct, merely of being duped into compliance, she gives the name of a girl who is particularly good at scroll-scribing, Tamarak.

Before they let her return to class, Reyu asks one last question. “Do you know anyone at the Academy who might have had reason to sabotage Professor Alexandra?”

Amelia squirms in her seat, looking at the floor. “No.”

“Are you sure?” Reyu prods, gently.

She shakes her head again, then manages to glance up at the elf. “I’ve heard her arguing with Professor Noah, sometimes. He teaches alchemy.”

“What did they argue about?”

Amelia shrugs. “School stuff.”

Once Amelia is gone, Lira and Dennis decide follow up with Tamarak at the Mage’s Academy. Even if she didn’t make the scroll in question, she will hopefully know who did, which will hopefully lead to Jelliana’s source of information about the party. Also, they can check up on Edmund’s progress. Although Lira is spend any more time around the young wizard than is absolutely necessary. Meanwhile, the rest of the party decides to return to their informant Nichols of The Squeaky Wheel.

Lira and Dennis find Edmund, surrounded by half-filled pieces of vellum, bits of potions, and liberally spattered with ink. He looks up when they enter.

“Five minutes! Really, I almost have it. I just need to complete this analysis.”

Lira and Dennis look at each other, shrug. “Okay,” they reply and head off for a quick chat with Professor Noah in the alchemy lab.

After ascertaining that Noah’s professional rivalry with Professor Alexandra does not extend beyond some departmental bickering, they return to Edmund.

Unsurprisingly, the analysis has not been completed. “Well, no I don’t have it yet, but I think I’m very close. Definitely making progress. Just give me another five minutes.”

Lira and Dennis exchange a glance and mutely shake their heads “no.”

Edmund barely pauses. “It really is quite fascinating,” he enthuses. “I do think I can get quite an impressive paper out of it. If you’d like to hear about my work—“

Dennis quickly cuts him off. “That’s okay. You don’t know who made the scroll?”

“Not yet, but I’m very close.”

“We’re sure you are,” Lira breaks in before Edmund can regain his momentum. “But, maybe you should take a break for lunch or something.”

“Oh, well, um. It’s just so exciting, the thrill of discovery and all that. I mean, it’s different for your sort, but ah, lunch. Good idea.” Edmund pauses, perhaps taking his first breath since Lira entered the room. He looks hopefully at the young sorcerer. “Have you… eaten yet?”

“Yes. Before we came.”

Edmund deflates slightly, but does his best to cover it. “I see. Well, I’ll go now. Get a fresh perspective.”

Dennis gives him a nod and a smile. “Good idea.”

Dennis was not the one Edmund was hoping for a smile from. Lira finally obliges and Edmund scurries happily from the room.

“Well,” says Dennis, “I guess we should go see Tamarak.”

Tamarak is a swarthy girl, who stands with the prideful posture of a citizen of Dar Thane. Her dark hair is cut short, and her dark eyes flash with indignation at the idea that she might be selling scrolls. “I make them for my friends. That’s all. Who told you I sold them?”

Lira takes the path of most evasion. “We just heard.”

“I bet it was Annika.”

“Why her?”

“She’s always trying to sabotage me. She thinks she’s so good at artificy, but just ask anyone…”

Twenty minutes later Dennis and Lira know more than they ever wanted to about the politics of first-year mage’s academy students and are no closer to figuring out how Jelliana might have gotten hold of one of their scrolls. At last, they manage to extricate themselves.

“Is talking incessantly a requirement for entry to the academy, or do they learn how to do that after they’ve arrived?” Lira asks Dennis as they leave.

“Amelia doesn’t talk much,” he points out.

Lira shakes her head. “Too much or too little. Let’s hope the others have had better luck.”

Sure enough, Nichols is at his usual table at The Squeaky Wheel. He agrees to talk to the party, but shakes his head at their description of Jelliana.

“Don’t get me wrong, I’ve spent my time with the Handmaidens, but ah… never had the pleasure of her acquaintance.” He shrugs. “Not really my type. Did you think of tracing the other way?”

“What do you mean?” Anvil demands.

“Well, instead of tracing Jelliana to the academy, who there knew you were going to the mines?”

Reyu ticks off on her fingers. “Edmund swears he didn’t tell anyone. Professor Alexandra would have no reason to sabotage us.”

“Was there anyone there when she told you about the job?” Nichols asks.

“Well…” Thatch tries to remember, “She was teaching class when we arrived, but then we went into her office… Didn’t we?”

Thatch looks over at Anvil, who looks at Reyu, who looks back at Thatch.

“Well… That would explain it.”

to be continued…

spyscribe

First Post
Part the Twelfth
In which: the party finds a terribly clever and novel way in which to circumvent certain difficulties, a fact which is endlessly lamented by the DM.

"We had that discussion in front of twenty first-year mage's academy students?!?"

The rest of the party briefs Lira and Dennis on their recent revelation regarding the circumstances in which Professor Alexandra informed them of her difficulties with the Dwarf. In the main, they take it rather well.

Although the party is generally intelligent, they realize that might not have been their finest hour.

(Okay, yes, we freely admit that’s a bit of an understatement. In fact, so sure were we that we hadn’t had that conversation in front of witnesses, we spent nearly three hours in real time talking to every NPC in the city before Fajitas found a way to clue us in.)

"So," said Thatch, "now we have to interview 20 fifteen-year-olds to see who might have sold us out to a cleric who hates arcane casters?"

Dennis, still testy from one such interview, speaks up quickly. "There's got to be a better way to do this."

The party discusses the problem from all angles. Are there leads they haven't yet explored? Would it be feasible to circulate Jelliana’s description with the city Watch, in hopes someone knows where she stays in the city when not at the Temple of the Handmaidens?

“We should employ magical means to locate her,” Anvil announces solemnly.

“Do you have such… means?” Reyu asks.

Anvil looks at her blankly. “No. But among those who have risen in my order, such things are possible. We should submit a petition to Bastion the Just---”

"Wait a second," Lira interrupts. "This involves a mage's academy. Do you think someone has a crystal ball we could use?"

Not ten minutes later, the party is in the Divinations building, having convinced the reclusive professor to allow them to use his scrying device.

Reyu makes the first attempt. She concentrates on the ball in front of her, recites the incantation, and focuses her mind on everything she can remember about the priestess in the woods.

Slowly, the scene comes into hazy focus. Jelliana is in a room. She stands with three men around a table, examining a piece of paper spread before them. Reyu cannot see it clearly, but she guesses it is some kind of map.

Behind Jelliana is a window. From her angle of view Reyu can make out rooftops of the city, but nothing to pinpoint the room’s location. She attempts to get a better view, but as she tries to refocus the crystal ball she looses her concentration, and sphere before her goes dark.

Reyu gives a small sigh of frustration and relates what she was able to discern.

“Should I try?” Lira asks.

The elf shrugs. “It… could not hurt. If possible, try to look out of the window. See if you can tell where they are, and what they are looking at on the table.”

Lira has never before tried to use a crystal ball, but after only a few seconds of concentration, the room Reyu described to her snaps into focus—as though someone has unshuttered a lantern on a painting.

And there, dead center of the composition, is Jelliana.

To her right is a man dressed entirely in black, and although his clothing is not immediately familiar to Lira, she notes that his hair is shaved into a topknot, similar in manner to certain orders of monks. The assumption is further strengthened by virtue of the fact that he carries no obvious arms.

In sharp contrast is the man to Jelianna’s left, a tall handsome man who wears a holy symbol of Kettenek over his breastplate. He carries a large sword and appears in all respects to be a knight in shining armor. The only thing out of place is that his holy symbol, like Jelliana’s, is unadorned by sect affiliation. That, and the fact that he is consorting with someone who has already tried to kill the party once.

The man beside him appears much less refined. His crudely made leather leggings show signs of obvious repair and even the silver holy symbol around his neck looks as though it has undergone some hard battering. Still, it identifies him as an Ehktain, also without sect affiliation.

There is a break in Lira’s descriptive monologue, and Thatch leans down to whisper in Dennis’s ear, “Kettenek, Ehkt, and we know Jelianna’s a Handmaiden of Alirria… Want to lay odds that the monk is a Sedellen?”

Dennis shakes his head. “No bet.”

Having examined as closely as the can the occupants of the room, Lira turns her attention to the table before them. Indeed, Reyu’s supposition was correct that they were examining some kind of map.

In fact, it’s a map of the Mage’s Academy.

Lira abruptly asks Professor Davis, "Why can't I hear what they're saying?"

Reyu knits her brows in puzzlement. "If this… device.... is similar to magic practiced by my kind, sound should work…"

The professor waves a hand impatiently. “You think we let just anyone use our good crystal balls? Those are for people who know what they’re doing…”

Dennis rolls his eyes, “Well, she seems to be faking it pretty well.”

Anvil is incredulous. "You gave us a low-rent crystal ball?"

Professor Davis mutters something under his breath as he returns to his research.

Lira, having gleaned all she can, cuts her connection before the occupants of the room realize that they are being spied upon. "I could see the spires of the Library through the window. We should be able to triangulate where the building is from that."

Thatch tightens his sword, and the party heads out.

Fajitas

Hold the Peppers
spyscribe said:
"So," said Thatch, "now we have to interview 20 fifteen-year-olds to see who might have sold us out to a cleric who hates arcane casters?"

>sigh< So there I was, with a list of twenty Mages Academy students. I had worked out all their names, personalities, inter-relationships, what they knew about the scenario, and what clues they had that could lead the PCs to the real culprit. I figured they'd ask Amelia if any of her fellow students frequented the Temple of the Handmaidens, then interview those few students, and off we'd go. I'd been watching a lot of Law & Order at the time.

Instead, what'd they do? They ran right for the cyrstal ball. Twenty NPCs down the drain.

>sigh< It's a rough life, being a DM...

dpdx

Explorer
Aw, don't feel bad, Fajitas. Look at it this way: you've just worked up 20 possible sub-plots! (BTW, where is your Rat-Bastardly Plotting Thread {players keep out}, or do you not want help with that sort of thing?)

spyscribe

First Post
Fajitas said:
>sigh< So there I was, with a list of twenty Mages Academy students. I had worked out all their names, personalities, inter-relationships, what they knew about the scenario...

Instead, what'd they do? They ran right for the cyrstal ball. Twenty NPCs down the drain.

The kicker is, I distinctly remember sitting there, on Bad Monkey Jeff's couch as we were playing, and saying to myself, "Now, there is no possible way he wants us to talk to all those people..."

Sigh, try to save your DM work and all you get is grief.

Of course, it didn't help when Lira started rolling 18s on her scry checks. :D

dpdx

Explorer
Hey, all's well that ends with Kettenek's Justice!

Anyway, here's wishing all my favorite Halmites a wonderful Halloween. [We had a grand total of four ToT-ers - in a city of >1 million. Go figure.]

Greybar

No Trouble at All

Great sympathies for you here. [grin]

...a tall handsome man who wears a holy symbol of Kettenek over his breastplate. He carries a large sword and appears in all respects to be a knight in shining armor.

I'm looking for some great Kettenek vs. Kettenek action, here.

(as a GM, I love the possibility that two LG characters can go at it hammer-and-tongs, though I'd guess this new fellow is more like LN. Good does not mean that you cannot disagree to the point of armed conflict.)

john

Remove ads